Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

SLingbox UK - up and running

SLingbox UK - up and running

Old May 15th 2007, 2:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SLingbox UK - up and running

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
probably not as they are re-broadcasting...and policy says no refunds once you've paid for a stream, so they could well cut and run on you.
That's what I thought when I read it.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 1:11 am
Critical Circuits

Terminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
I'd appreciate an invite to demonoid if anyone has one.
If you missed open invites let me know - I can throw you an invite.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

We've got a slingbox and it really is great - I'm watching live TV, adverts and all!

Can still live pause and watch recorded programmes, just like we did at home.

Doesn't have SkyHD though, but you can't have everything! Yet!

PS - don't ask me about anything too technical about it. Or if you do, be patient for a response as I'll need to ask my gadget geek, sorry, husband the answer!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Bobatlanta is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, first post. I live in Atlanta. I was wondering if anyone knew of anyone I could do a slingbox "swap" with in the UK. I would love to watch a few days of British TV, in exchange, person on the other side of the pond could watch U.S. tv.

Thanks
Old Jun 15th 2007, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

cruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to all

Hi everyone.

Hubby and I are getting ready to get ourselves over to Texas early 2008. I saw this thread and have read with interest as Hubby is a mad rugby fan who will miss easy access to matches as we have here in the the UK.

Could one of you please explain exactly how Slingbox works, without too much teckie stuff and what you think the easiest way of setting it up would be plus any other advice...

Thaks in advance
Old Jun 15th 2007, 4:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cruickies View Post
Hi everyone.

Hubby and I are getting ready to get ourselves over to Texas early 2008. I saw this thread and have read with interest as Hubby is a mad rugby fan who will miss easy access to matches as we have here in the the UK.

Could one of you please explain exactly how Slingbox works, without too much teckie stuff and what you think the easiest way of setting it up would be plus any other advice...

Thaks in advance
It works by tapping into the TV feed in the UK, streams the feed via internet with broadband to you in the US...the box controls what is being watched in the UK, so who ever you leave the box with would need dual tuners or they might not be to impressed.

So what you need, the slingbox, broadband internet connection from both ends and someone willing to do it, in a gist.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 4:35 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cruickies View Post
Hi everyone.

Thaks in advance
Bob's reply is spot on about how Slingbox works, but I should also mention you might consider buying Setanta Sports on Dish Network when you arrive. Quite a bit of rugby coverage on that channel (which is not part of the normal cable package, but an added expense).
Old Jun 15th 2007, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

cruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to all

Thanks Bob and Penguin, very useful!
Old Jun 16th 2007, 12:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
It works by tapping into the TV feed in the UK, streams the feed via internet with broadband to you in the US...the box controls what is being watched in the UK, so who ever you leave the box with would need dual tuners or they might not be to impressed.

So what you need, the slingbox, broadband internet connection from both ends and someone willing to do it, in a gist.
Unless you have a Sky dual DVR jobbie. How's that for a Bobism?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:24 am
There's always One.

component is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nice

Originally Posted by franc11s View Post
They are in the UK so don't use bittorrents.
I don't understand this comment. Please elaborate...

Also - Snowbunny - did you get your Demonoid invite? If not, feel free to PM me.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 4:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by component View Post
I don't understand this comment. Please elaborate...
If someone's in the UK, they aren't likely to bother download UK shows....
Old Jun 20th 2007, 4:52 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by component View Post
Also - Snowbunny - did you get your Demonoid invite? If not, feel free to PM me.
Yup somebunny gave one to me. But thank you so much for offering!

I do not watch much American television, almost 100% UK. Even the adverts are better though I have noticed that in the UK, a freeze is used at end of advert, whereas here there's a fade.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

Norm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to all

We love our slingbox. Hubby used to travel all over the globe and he loved the idea of being able to connect to our tv. It has worked great for us. However after coming back from the UK in Feb, I started to have major problems with it. The channels were being changed all the time. Kids were at school and hubby was at work. Ofcourse rang the hubby and was shouting him out. A couple of days later whilst talking to my brother on MSN, he started to tell me how much he really enjoyed watching a certain movie and hadn't seen it for ages. Light goes on, my hubby gave him the details on how to log into it and the bugger was messing with my tv. He thought it was funny and every now and then he keeps messing about it.. My 5 year old goes crazy. She shouts that her uncle is messing on and she is going to tell him off...lol..
Old Aug 25th 2007, 6:48 pm
There's always One.

component is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nice

Originally Posted by Norm71 View Post
We love our slingbox. Hubby used to travel all over the globe and he loved the idea of being able to connect to our tv. It has worked great for us. However after coming back from the UK in Feb, I started to have major problems with it. The channels were being changed all the time. Kids were at school and hubby was at work. Ofcourse rang the hubby and was shouting him out. A couple of days later whilst talking to my brother on MSN, he started to tell me how much he really enjoyed watching a certain movie and hadn't seen it for ages. Light goes on, my hubby gave him the details on how to log into it and the bugger was messing with my tv. He thought it was funny and every now and then he keeps messing about it.. My 5 year old goes crazy. She shouts that her uncle is messing on and she is going to tell him off...lol..
err...change the password?
Old Aug 26th 2007, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fanny_jeffers View Post
i have a slingbox here in uk, if anyone wants to do a swap let me know, keen to receive sports channels that show english prem football

email [email protected]
if you are in the UK why are you keen to recevie english football

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.