Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

SLingbox UK - up and running

SLingbox UK - up and running

Old Feb 2nd 2007, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SLingbox UK - up and running

I was told that Sky Broadband had issues, they were giving it away in November.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 1:32 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andy_LongIsland View Post
Get yaself this http://www.applian.com/at-large-recorder/index.php then you can record off it

I just left a pc at home for a pvr.. works fantastic
Looked interesting until I saw it only supports older firmware - still it's cheap enough and the fact you can watch Brit TV whilst disconnected is pretty cool. I had to upgrade my firmware to fix stuff some I'm out of the loop though.

For recording, the SKY+ box my neice has in the UK is ALSO a PVR so I get to record anything, watch live, watched recorded (whilst recording) so it's pretty sweet. And you can't beat the one-off cost - and no dedicated PC.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to get the old firmware somewhere? I use thier Radio recording software so I can listen to Moyles in the morning on my ipod, it's spot on

The sky+ box doesn't have a network connection does it? I know NTl are firing out tivo boxes with network connections now.. might shut my pc off if that ever happens
Old Mar 30th 2007, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice

Originally Posted by franc11s View Post
My neice just got my UK Slingbox connected to her a sky digital box DVR. It's awesome. I can watch any live UK TV and control her recorder to record anything anytime and watch whenever. SInce the sky box has two tuner's she can watch and record anything she wants and so can I at the same time.

Will keep you posted but so far, it's fast and also even though the documentation said it wouldn't, it works on my PDA phone as well..

Wicked..
can you clarify the bit about the dual tuners please? is this with a sky+ or sky hd box and does this mean you can watch a program through the slingbox while your niece watches something else? if so, how do you do it? my brother has just got one in the uk and i can't find any info on using dual tuners with it.

cheers for any help.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 11:49 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, I've never seen the box.. its my neices. She went out and brought the sling box (I paid for) and connected it up and hey presto.

But I can tell you it's sky+ and dual tuner and PVR (or DVR). A dual tuner SKY+ allows someone to record 2 programs at once whilst ALSO watching 2 pre-recorded shows at once on 2 tv's. The remote can be set to watch either channel.

Anyway, I have full control over one of the tuners and she the other. the ONLY time I can't watch live TV if she's recording 2 shows at the SAME time but this has NEVER happened to date.

It's awesome. I've just got my comcast DVR, Dual Tuner in the USA so I will connect my US Sky Box to that. Great when travelling.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice

thanks for getting back to me - my brother has a sky hd box. i'm pretty sure he can't record two things at the same time and watch something else. i'll ask him to look into it though.

it was great being able to watch live footie today
Old Mar 31st 2007, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

with Sky + you can record 2 programs and watch a program at the same time, have done this a few times........ Guess I need to get a life
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102 View Post
with Sky + you can record 2 programs and watch a program at the same time, have done this a few times........ Guess I need to get a life
They must have changed this recently as sky + has only 2 tuners so you can record 2 things and watch something you have recorded, but not record 2 and watch a third. Like I said they may have changed this recently.

As far as the slingbox you take over the control of the box in the UK - so you need to set up a dedicated box for slinging unless you want to piss off the relatives with the sky box!!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 4:15 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

Originally Posted by Big D View Post
As far as the slingbox you take over the control of the box in the UK - so you need to set up a dedicated box for slinging unless you want to piss off the relatives with the sky box!!

Big D. Maybe I'm missing something you are saying but my neice in the UK does not have a dedicated SKY+ box for slinging - just one SKY+ box for the sling and for them. I got the impression that the SKY+ has 2 tuners and two outputs. Each output can be controlled by one of the 2 remotes. the sling box is connected to the 2nd tuner on the same box so indeed, I can change channels on the SAME sky+ box they are watching and it does not effect them at all.... I'll dig out the specs on the SKY+ box they have... They are looking to upgrade from their 384mbps upload (which is still good for sports) to 1.2mbps upload which will make it a killer app at FULL screen too !!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Big D. Maybe I'm missing something you are saying but my neice in the UK does not have a dedicated SKY+ box for slinging - just one SKY+ box for the sling and for them. I got the impression that the SKY+ has 2 tuners and two outputs. Each output can be controlled by one of the 2 remotes. the sling box is connected to the 2nd tuner on the same box so indeed, I can change channels on the SAME sky+ box they are watching and it does not effect them at all.... I'll dig out the specs on the SKY+ box they have... They are looking to upgrade from their 384mbps upload (which is still good for sports) to 1.2mbps upload which will make it a killer app at FULL screen too !!
Thats excellent then - the boxes used to have 2 tuners but one was effectively for the DVR and the other for watching - or recording 2 shows. They must have upgraded the boxes to allow different outputs? Also if it is still just 2 tuners and one is the sling box then they wont be able to record one channel and watch another (unless they are watching the same as you of course?) Either way its great for you!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:00 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

Big D - you were right. I was told when I watch the sling box, I take over their TV. Seems they are not that bothered and it doesn't happen often because of the 5hr time difference. For some crazy reason, they decided not to tell me - how nice is that !!
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D - you were right. I was told when I watch the sling box, I take over their TV. Seems they are not that bothered and it doesn't happen often because of the 5hr time difference. For some crazy reason, they decided not to tell me - how nice is that !!
lol - well at least you are up and running - nice work!
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

explorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to all

I wonder if I could get my old man to add a second sky box to his system and then hook up a slingbox to that. That way I wouldn't be messing with his TV watching.
Hmmm, I'll have to really look into this

Roy
Old Apr 4th 2007, 2:33 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

And SKY has just added remote recording via the web or cell phones so you'll just be able to go to the web and much more easily setup whatever you want to record from any PC/PDA. Then you can watch all your stuff when the UK has gone to bed !!
Old Apr 10th 2007, 3:47 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: SLingbox UK - up and running

Thanks to this thread we've only just heard about the existence of the Slingbox.

My husband bought one this evening and has hooked it up to the TIVO and currently we have 'Scrubs' on the comedy channel and simultaneously have 'Scrubs' on his laptop. It's working really well.

He's off to London on Thursday (he's doing the London Marathon a week on Sunday you know!) and plans to watch the latest US edition of his fave programme, "House" on his laptop at the hotel.

QUESTION!?

He wants to persuade his twin brother in Yateley (Hants) to hook up a Slingbox to his Sky TV so we can watch the UK programmes here in the States. He's wondering if it's feasible to take the US Slingbox which he's just bought over to England to see if it will work over there. (He paid $120 for it in Best Buy).

Does anyone have any idea if the US Slingbox works in the UK or will he have to buy a UK box from somewhere like Currys or Comet? (For example is it likely to blow up due to the different voltage?). We're wondering if someone has already taken one over the Pond or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.