Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

SLingbox UK - up and running

SLingbox UK - up and running

Old Dec 16th 2006, 1:41 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default SLingbox UK - up and running

My neice just got my UK Slingbox connected to her a sky digital box DVR. It's awesome. I can watch any live UK TV and control her recorder to record anything anytime and watch whenever. SInce the sky box has two tuner's she can watch and record anything she wants and so can I at the same time.

Will keep you posted but so far, it's fast and also even though the documentation said it wouldn't, it works on my PDA phone as well..

Wicked..
Old Dec 16th 2006, 11:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SLingbox UK - up and running

that's awesome

so what kind of bandwidth does your sister have? and how much did it cost to set up? Not that I have anyone back in blighty that has sky, but i'm still curious *l*
Old Dec 17th 2006, 3:13 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
that's awesome

so what kind of bandwidth does your sister have? and how much did it cost to set up? Not that I have anyone back in blighty that has sky, but i'm still curious *l*
There's no extra fees on top of what they already had. Had to buy the sling box (150 quid).. that's it.. Sling box shows giving me 480kbps so almost half a T1. They get better upload speeds in the UK. I'm watching the everton game right now...

I got them to add the sports package (6 quid a month)..
Old Dec 17th 2006, 3:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
There's no extra fees on top of what they already had. Had to buy the sling box (150 quid).. that's it.. Sling box shows giving me 480kbps so almost half a T1. They get better upload speeds in the UK. I'm watching the everton game right now...

I got them to add the sports package (6 quid a month)..
that's pretty cool....so it doesn't kill their internet for things like torrents then? cool.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 3:48 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

Originally Posted by Bob
that's pretty cool....so it doesn't kill their internet for things like torrents then? cool.
They are in the UK so don't use bittorrents. They said with me streaming the TV it doesn't effect them at all. They are going to switch to sky broadband becuase for 10 quid a month they will get 800k + upload speeds...

I was streaming all day yesterday. Just left it on

Weird getting UK adverts and all that live
Old Dec 17th 2006, 6:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by franc11s
They are in the UK so don't use bittorrents. They said with me streaming the TV it doesn't effect them at all. They are going to switch to sky broadband becuase for 10 quid a month they will get 800k + upload speeds...

I was streaming all day yesterday. Just left it on

Weird getting UK adverts and all that live
800+ up....lucky beggars....and they don't use torrents? I would, with that bandwidth

and yeah, the commercials, weird how even the naff one's can make you smile, especially on the odd show where they haven't been cut out from a nova upload.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

stelyn27 will become famous soon enough

Would it be possible to get the info on the connections that you have used, ( type of sky box cables etc) as it sounds great, plus footy when its on instead of 2 or 3 days later.

cheers

steve
Old Jan 28th 2007, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Ciaran1 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is my first post. Hello to everyone. Great website.

I am originally from Co. Armagh

I would like to buy a PAL Slingbox to set up in my parent’s house back home. I live in New York, U.S.A and want to use the slingbox so that I can watch TV stations such as BBC, RTE, TG4 and UTV in my home in New York. Can anyone please give me some information on this?

My parents have AOL broadband internet but they only have a regular aerial to receive their TV channels in Ireland. They do not have a cable or satellite receiver. Will I still be able to use a PAL slingbox set up in my parent’s home to successfully watch terrestrial Irish TV in New York?

Also I recently read a report in the Guardian about the picture quality being very poor when using a sling box. Can anyone comment on this?

Any assistance on this would be great. It would make a big difference.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 6:03 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ciaran1 View Post
This is my first post. Hello to everyone. Great website.

I am originally from Co. Armagh
Welcome to the site from a fellow Ulsterman.

I'm sure you know this already but UTV stream their news progs on their website.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 10:45 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

How is it on the broadband for live TV? I'm thinking of getting one set up in my office in London, but then was thinking maybe I should just use the professional slingbox hosting guys in the UK who are on a bit fat pipe (I'm worried about slowing down my office's connection).

What size (pixels) is the stream? I have a spare Mac mini hooked upto my tv so I was thinking of just pumping it through there and watch all the shows on my widescreen.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

uktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to all

*cough* UKNOVA *cough*
Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

have you seen the Sony location free TV? same principle but you can watch on your PSP - which is a great touch!
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:25 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

My Slingbox in UK is awesome. I use UKNova too but this way I get to watch my preferences and not wait to upload. Also I can watch what UKNova won't upload. Also, I can watch live at work, at home and on my PDA. The slingbox client software is free. You pay for the PAL Slingbox once and your done.

In my case, my neice had a dual tuner (spare) so there was no other costs.

The tuner is also a PVR so I can set it to record / playback whenever i want too.

Way too cool...
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:27 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post
How is it on the broadband for live TV? I'm thinking of getting one set up in my office in London, but then was thinking maybe I should just use the professional slingbox hosting guys in the UK who are on a bit fat pipe (I'm worried about slowing down my office's connection).

What size (pixels) is the stream? I have a spare Mac mini hooked upto my tv so I was thinking of just pumping it through there and watch all the shows on my widescreen.
That's what I do. Use a spare laptop to my TV and VGA out to my plasma Christmas day I was the star as we watched Vicar of Dibley
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute

Get yaself this http://www.applian.com/at-large-recorder/index.php then you can record off it

I just left a pc at home for a pvr.. works fantastic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.