Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Room Temp

Room Temp

Old Dec 12th 2011, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

best_wishes is just really nicebest_wishes is just really nicebest_wishes is just really nicebest_wishes is just really nicebest_wishes is just really nicebest_wishes is just really nicebest_wishes is just really nicebest_wishes is just really nice
Default Re: Room Temp

Originally Posted by willmore View Post
Are the demonstrations over now? What is happening?
There's nothing scary here. It's all nice and quiet.
I was at this huge meeting which was on Dec 10. I didn't feel any trouble in the air. Girls carried white flowers as the sign of the "white revolution". They presented flowers to police. There was music and smiles and I even danced a bit.

No, the demonstrations will not be over. Not until Putin agrees that the elections were falsified and that there should be re-elections.
At least I am going to that meeting which is planned for the 24th, and maybe I'm going to the meetings on the 17th and 18th.

It's fun now.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

best_wishes is just really nicebest_wishes is just really nicebest_wishes is just really nicebest_wishes is just really nicebest_wishes is just really nicebest_wishes is just really nicebest_wishes is just really nicebest_wishes is just really nice

Originally Posted by willmore View Post
Are the demonstrations over now? What is happening?
Putin tries to make it look as if nothing happened and everything is ok.
I think that it is rather possible that it will continue to be like that. Not many people believe that there are other leaders except Putin. No surprise. Our TV shows only Putin all the time. I don't watch it, maybe that's why I'm on the other side.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

I guess I've screwed the topic cause no one replies anymore.

So I'll better go see my sleep dreams.
And the battery in my mouse if off..... s..t this day is a mess. A pure disappointment.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 11:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Set to 62F...it's nice....gas heat now, so it's much more affordable anyway.

It's 72F at the moment though as the furnace died last night and it only got sorted this evening, so blasting the heat a little.

Last winter, with a premie in the house, we had to have it set to 72F by the doctor...it cost us a bloody fortune and we're still paying it back. Didn't help last winter was pretty brutal and cold.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

68 here and the house is still freezing when it's particularly cold outside. My husband would love to have it cooler, but when I'm bundled up with a blanket on and still cold, that's not going to work. We have an older home (by US standards) and the insulation is terrible.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Downstairs: 72 during the day and 75 in the evenings.

Upstairs: I usually turn the heating off unless it is very cold. I have our bedroom window open as I like the bedroom a chilly 60 degrees...except when I'm getting ready then I put the heating to 72.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:52 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

When it's 110 outside 80 inside feels cool. Ask me in January or February what the temperature in my house is.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 3:17 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
...except when I'm getting ready then I put the heating to 72.
Getting ready for what??
Old Dec 13th 2011, 3:18 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake View Post
68 here and the house is still freezing when it's particularly cold outside. My husband would love to have it cooler, but when I'm bundled up with a blanket on and still cold, that's not going to work. We have an older home (by US standards) and the insulation is terrible.
You need a Snuggie honey
Old Dec 13th 2011, 3:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake View Post
I went and re-caulked all the windows at our apartment and made a huge difference, that and used the left overs to fill in the holes around all the cable going through the floor and other pipes...between that and draft excluder sausage things along the doors and the middle of the windows made a massive difference.

Re-doing the insulation in the walls and ceilings is pretty nasty work though, helped the in-laws do it a few years ago...made a massive difference to how comfortable the place is, warm in winter and cooler in the summer. Well worth the cost of insulation and a weekends hard graft...well a long weekend :/
Old Dec 14th 2011, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I went and re-caulked all the windows at our apartment and made a huge difference, that and used the left overs to fill in the holes around all the cable going through the floor and other pipes...between that and draft excluder sausage things along the doors and the middle of the windows made a massive difference.

Re-doing the insulation in the walls and ceilings is pretty nasty work though, helped the in-laws do it a few years ago...made a massive difference to how comfortable the place is, warm in winter and cooler in the summer. Well worth the cost of insulation and a weekends hard graft...well a long weekend :/
You have a definite point with the windows; I have no reason to think ours are particularly good (or sealed). When it comes to insulation, however, I'm afraid we have brick walls between us and the outside ... I don't think we could insulate them if we wanted to. Luckily it's warmed up a bit here.

Edited to add - just noticed that my husband has turned it down to 66. Grrrr.

Last edited by Kaffy Mintcake; Dec 14th 2011 at 2:31 am.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Woman: Why aren't you cold? It's freezing in here.
Man: I'm a mammal, therefore I can regulate my body temperature
Old Dec 14th 2011, 7:13 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian View Post
Woman: Why aren't you cold? It's freezing in here.
Man: I'm a mammal, therefore I can regulate my body temperature

66 is perfect, 69 allowable if it is below -20F outside. In my house, if you're cold, put a jumper on. That's why we buy them.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:41 pm
Banned

Winston Smith has a spectacular aura aboutWinston Smith has a spectacular aura aboutWinston Smith has a spectacular aura about

My this is interesting stuff, I've learned a lot about caulking, gas bills and personal preferences on what to wear indoors. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for someone to wade in with radiator BTU's, draught excluders and wall insulation which can be further sub-categorized between expandable foam, vermiculite or fibreglass?!?! Some of you need to step away from the wall thermostat and get out FFS
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

positive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
My this is interesting stuff, I've learned a lot about caulking, gas bills and personal preferences on what to wear indoors. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for someone to wade in with radiator BTU's, draught excluders and wall insulation which can be further sub-categorized between expandable foam, vermiculite or fibreglass?!?! Some of you need to step away from the wall thermostat and get out FFS
Well, they say you learn something new everyday hey?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.