Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

RIP Steve Jobs

RIP Steve Jobs

Old Oct 9th 2011, 10:08 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RIP Steve Jobs

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider View Post
And I understand there's some evidence that Sir Isaac Newton was no saint either...

Human beings are flawed in many ways... sometimes, it would seem, exploiting one of your flaws might just help you reach a point higher than anybody else...

Now... given what a nice chap I am (), does that mean I have less flaws than 'normal' - or an excessively larger number of flaws than 'normal'?

I'm inclined to go with the latter!!
The top sales rep in my company is the type that goes for the jugular that's her style, not mine. Some of the "shortcuts" she uses aren't really kosher, but as far as she is concerned, the end justifies the means. I guess it's all down to being comfortable with what you do, and being able to look in the mirror and liking what you see.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 10:55 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider View Post
And I understand there's some evidence that Sir Isaac Newton was no saint either...

Human beings are flawed in many ways... sometimes, it would seem, exploiting one of your flaws might just help you reach a point higher than anybody else...

Now... given what a nice chap I am (), does that mean I have less flaws than 'normal' - or an excessively larger number of flaws than 'normal'?

I'm inclined to go with the latter!!
Clearly, the fact of not having any flaws is in of itself a major flaw.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Seen on a discussion thread on gawker.com ...

Why is everyone making such a big deal out of his death? He wasn't even that influential.

Sent from my iPhone
Old Oct 10th 2011, 7:01 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Heard at my kids school.

Steve Jobs is at the pearly gates and Peter is looking through the book for his name, Steve says 'I've got an app for that'
Old Oct 10th 2011, 5:06 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
Heard at my kids school.

Steve Jobs is at the pearly gates and Peter is looking through the book for his name, Steve says 'I've got an app for that'
Old Oct 10th 2011, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs View Post
I saw a cartoon of Steve Jobs being welcomed at the Pearly Gates by Ben Franklin and Thomas Edison. Come on now, really?
From what I've heard about Edison, it sounds very suitable (except it wouldn't be heaven, and Franklin was actually a smart guy). Edison is held up as some great inventor but he only has one actual invention (the phonograph) while everything else was stolen or done by his subordinates with him taking the credit. Not the nicest guy to be around either, so also like Jobs, who seems to have fired almost everyone he has ever met and then stolen the bonus he got after presenting their work.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Grey Area View Post
It's like saying someone invented the wheel or fire. With or without Steve Jobs these things would have been eventually invented
No, it's like saying someone invented the wheel AND fire, at the same time, and packaged them into a profitable product that many people like.

I'm not personally a fan of Apple products (though I have an iPhone), but I acknowledge the difficulty of developing products that gain tremendous market share, and to keep doing that year after year.

People idolize sports figures and music personalities all the time. To see a bit of 'fan appreciation' for a technical geek is a good thing to me (since I'm a technical geek myself).
Old Oct 11th 2011, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

iSad.