Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Republican Debate

Republican Debate

Old Feb 23rd 2012, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of
Default Re: Republican Debate

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer View Post
I don't give a **** whether you give a ****. The truth is you're a joke that nobody takes seriously, because you're so polar.
Do I hear the clink of kettle against pot?
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

This is why nothing ever gets done in congress - too busy bickering and trying to figure out who has the biggest you-know-what!
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 2:55 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress View Post
Do I hear the clink of kettle against pot?
I don't know, do you? You can accuse me of many things (not one that will actually bother me, I should add), but being politically - or any other way - polar, is not one of them.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 2:58 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know, do you? You can accuse me of many things (not one that will actually bother me, I should add), but being politically - or any other way - polar, is not one of them.
Bi-polar.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 3:07 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Bi-polar.
Not very far from the truth. Go to the top of the class.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 3:42 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Not very far from the truth. Go to the top of the class.
What if she's already there?
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 3:44 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Why does the republican leadership need to worry about the whack-job vote? It's not like the whack-jobs are going to vote for the 'other guys' ... I'm sure you are right but I don't get it ... this thing is slipping away from them and you'd think they would take some action.
This is a deceptively simple sounding question.

While it is true that the whack-jobs will never vote for Obama, if Romney gets the nomination, there will be a significant number that will abstain. This is why a split party is so dangerous for the Republicans. This is also why it is incredibly bad, strategically speaking, to have a long drawn out Republican primary. At a time when Romney should be romancing the Tea Party (the fiscal conservatives are in the bag) he's getting attacked from all sides by his own party.

Potential scenarios:

Ron Paul - don't count him out. He's more important than some might think. His following is not comprised of the traditional Republican base. He brought them into the Republican party and he can take them out, if he so chooses. If Paul drops out, his people will potentially abstain (and Republican abstinence is a passive vote for Obama) or they may actually vote for Obama. This is why the ever burgeoning bromance between Romney and Paul is so fascinating. Paul knows he's not going to win. So what's going to happen with his faction? I can't imagine Paul actually endorsing Romney but it may be that Rand will endorse him, thus bringing some of the Paul people into the Romney fold. But what will Rand get in return? Hmmmm?

Rick Santorum - he's got the Tea Party vote right now. If he drops out the Tea Party will not, under any circumstance, vote for Obama but they could possibly abstain. Conversely, if he actually gets the nomination, some of the fiscal conservatives may jump ship (remember how many establishment conservatives endorsed Obama when Palin took over the McCain campaign?) and/or some may stay home.

Newt Gingrich - same as Santorum but in smaller numbers. Dick.

So, in an election against an increasingly popular incumbent president, literally every single vote counts. Obama will have to work diligently on the swing voters if Romney gets the nomination. He will not have to work so hard if Santorum gets the nomination. Romney will have to fight for every single vote because the Tea Party has essentially become as significant as the swing vote - at least in as far as Romney is concerned. Having to fight for votes within the base of his own party is going to be tough on Romney. I actually feel sorry for the guy.

Last edited by Leslie; Feb 23rd 2012 at 4:40 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 3:52 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

This is a deceptively simple sounding question.

While it is true that the whack-jobs will never vote for Obama but if Romney gets the nomination, there will be a significant number that will abstain. This is why a split party is so dangerous for the Republicans. This is also why it is incredibly bad, strategically speaking, to have a long drawn out Republican primary. At a time when Romney should be romancing the Tea Party (the fiscal conservatives are in the bag) he's getting attacked from all sides by his own party.

Potential scenarios:

Ron Paul - don't count him out. He's more important than some might think. His following is not comprised of the traditional Republican base. He brought them into the Republican party and he can take them out, if he so chooses. If Paul drops out, his people will potentially abstain (and Republican abstinence is a passive vote for Obama) or they may actually vote for Obama. This is why the ever burgeoning bromance between Romney and Paul is so fascinating. Paul knows he's not going to win. So what's going to happen with his faction? I can't imagine Paul actually endorsing Romney but it may be that Rand will and thus bring some of the Paul people into the Romney fold. But what will Rand get in return? Hmmmm?

Rick Santorum - he's got the Tea Party vote right now. If he drops out the Tea Party will not, under any circumstance, vote for Obama but they could possibly abstain. Conversely, if he actually gets the nomination, some of the fiscal conservatives may jump ship (remember how many establishment conservatives endorsed Obama when Palin took over the McCain campaign?) and/or some may stay home.

Newt Gingrich - same as Santorum but in smaller numbers. Dick.

So, in an election against an increasingly popular incumbent president, literally every single vote counts. Obama will have to work diligently on the swing voters if Romney gets the nomination. He will not have to work so hard if Santorum gets the nomination. Romney will have to fight for every single vote because the Tea Party has essentially become as significant as the swing vote at least in as far as the Romney is concerned. Having to fight for votes within the base of his own party is going to be tough on Romney. I actually feel sorry for the guy.
So realistically, and bearing in mind what the polls are saying about Romney's numbers slipping, does Santorum still even stand a chance? The answer has to be no... doesn't it?
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 3:53 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid View Post
So realistically, and bearing in mind what the polls are saying about Romney's numbers slipping, does Santorum still even stand a chance? The answer has to be no... doesn't it?
I have no idea. It seems unlikely to me but this is the weirdest primary EVER.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 3:54 pm
Life goes on.

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid View Post
What if she's already there?
She generally prefers to trawl the depths.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 3:57 pm
WTF?

I can still look down my nose at you from there.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 3:58 pm
Life goes on.

Shit ... with a nose as big as yours, I must be a hell of a long way down.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Romney will have to fight for every single vote because the Tea Party has essentially become as significant as the swing vote at least in as far as Romney is concerned. Having to fight for votes within the base of his own party is going to be tough on Romney. I actually feel sorry for the guy.
It's really not a lot different to '08 when McCain had to sell his soul to get the nomination and then selected Palin as his running mate to "energize the base". The ironic thing is that McCain 2000 was a lot more electable, but couldn't get past the primary with that stance. For fiscal conservatives like me, the Republican Party is deeply frustrating in the way it's been hijacked by the religious right on social issues.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 4:08 pm

May I remind you both that this is a political discussion. Jokes, witticisms, and smart comebacks will not be tolerated.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 4:09 pm

I have no idea. It seems unlikely to me but this is the weirdest primary EVER.
The weirdest candidates, in the weirdest primary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.