Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Remembrance 11.11.11

Remembrance 11.11.11

Old Nov 11th 2020, 12:43 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Remembrance 11.11.11

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Those are marvellous photos LiW. Such handsome men.

Yeah, the boys were all right.

Old Nov 11th 2020, 1:12 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
So many stories of heroism like that.
My father actually failed his eye test (shortsighted) for active service. He went to the back of the room, put on his glasses, memorized the eye chart, went to a different testing station, and recited the thing from memory. Next thing he knows he's in an armoured car in North Africa.
Heroism is one way of looking at it, but Great Uncle Bill would have been better off if less heroic. My dad was a reservist in a dragoon unit when war broke out and when they mobilised they wouldn't send him overseas because his eyesight wasn't good enough. He became an officer's batman in hopes that when the officer got sent over, he'd go with him but it never happened. Because 3 of his brothers were serving in Europe and another in the Atlantic on corvettes he wanted to go too. Two Aunts became army nurses, and one was a wartime telegrapher. Out of 11 children, only the 3 that were too young didn't enlist. They all came back.
Old Nov 11th 2020, 1:28 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Heroism is one way of looking at it, but Great Uncle Bill would have been better off if less heroic. My dad was a reservist in a dragoon unit when war broke out and when they mobilised they wouldn't send him overseas because his eyesight wasn't good enough. He became an officer's batman in hopes that when the officer got sent over, he'd go with him but it never happened. Because 3 of his brothers were serving in Europe and another in the Atlantic on corvettes he wanted to go too. Two Aunts became army nurses, and one was a wartime telegrapher. Out of 11 children, only the 3 that were too young didn't enlist. They all came back.
Yeah, I understand. My grandfather went to WWI as a young man. Got gassed, died five years after the war finished when my father was just a very small boy.
Old Nov 11th 2020, 3:12 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-54902358
Old Nov 11th 2020, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

My uncle served in WW1, but I don't know where, or what regiment. All I know was when I knew him, he was a grumpy old man, possibly PTSD, but I don't know. All I have left from him is some of the embroidered postcards he sent to my aunt, from France.

My father served in WW2 in the RA. He signed up before being conscripted, and was on the big guns on the south coast, and was then sent to India, somewhere on the north east frontier, I think. He never really talked about it, although I have a couple of pics of his group standing on one of the big rail guns.

My father's brother was in the RAF regiment, and he drowned while he was serving in Ceylon during WW2. Unfortunately, I was born after he died, but I have a couple of pictures of him in his uniform and a couple of pics of his funeral in Ceylon. Going there is on the bucket list. His name is on the book of remembrance in Edinburgh Castle.
Always remember.
Old Nov 11th 2020, 9:09 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I have few enough pictures of my Pop - and none of his time in WW1. This is the closest.... CQSM in the Irish Military Police 1922, during the civil war. This photo is in front of the "New" Barracks. I am told that his gaiters, belt and cap band were dyed in red ink and polished with oxblood wax polish - no "off the shelf" redcap in those days!!

Having volunteered in 1914, he was now in his 9th year of service and still only 30 years old.... having been on the Western Front and Gallipoli with the British Army, before Independence.

Last edited by macliam; Nov 11th 2020 at 9:58 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2020, 9:15 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I used to enjoy the walk up Great Gable to be at the plaque at the top, by 11:00, from the Fell and Rock Climbing Club