Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Remembrance 11.11.11

Remembrance 11.11.11

Old Nov 7th 2019, 3:41 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Remembrance 11.11.11

We used to recognize this day on behalf of our assorted relatives and their friens on BE. We don't much now, and I may be the only person left who cares at all. It might seem like remembering Trafalgar for all I know.

But I have family members who died in WWs both I and II, and other family members and their friends who were around our house while I was a child who had all gone off to fight the Nazis. Obviously, the ones who were there didn't die, nor, equally obviously, did my father. But they all put their lives on the line for principle and as a child I swore, in a childish way, that I would not forget, and that nobody should forget before they go off starting wars around the world.

So I haven't. Let's not have any more of them please.

The cap badges are two that mean something in terms of friends and relations.

Old Nov 7th 2019, 4:18 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Remembrance 11.11.11

Lovely post LiW.

Old Nov 7th 2019, 4:25 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Lion.

I have immediate and extended family members also that fought or were impacted by both wars.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 4:32 am
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you from me too. My paternal grandfather was a digger in WWl. He died a few months after I was born, I wish I had known him.
Vital that we never forget.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Both my grandparents were in WW2.

My grandmother was a Wren and pushed the boats and subs round on the big map and my Grandfather was in the Navy. He was the dude in the asbestos suit that ran into drag the pilots out when they crash landed on deck.

My father (although not in WW2) was in the Marines and fought in Aden, Suez and Borneo as well as other places.

Lest we forget!
Old Nov 7th 2019, 6:47 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
We used to recognize this day on behalf of our assorted relatives and their friens on BE. We don't much now, and I may be the only person left who cares at all. It might seem like remembering Trafalgar for all I know.

But I have family members who died in WWs both I and II, and other family members and their friends who were around our house while I was a child who had all gone off to fight the Nazis. Obviously, the ones who were there didn't die, nor, equally obviously, did my father. But they all put their lives on the line for principle and as a child I swore, in a childish way, that I would not forget, and that nobody should forget before they go off starting wars around the world.

So I haven't. Let's not have any more of them please.

The cap badges are two that mean something in terms of friends and relations.

Quite honestly, a post that brought a bit of a lump to my throat. This is what remembrance is about, remembering the hell our forefathers went through, and what they were willing to give up for us. Great post. I never want to see wartime, never.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
Quite honestly, a post that brought a bit of a lump to my throat. This is what remembrance is about, remembering the hell our forefathers went through, and what they were willing to give up for us. Great post. I never want to see wartime, never.
Read book-- 'Testament of Youth' by Vera Brittain, many families lost all their men in WW1.

My mother as a baby lost her father and then her mother died in the flu epidemic. Orphans were made 'wards' of the Royal British Legion.
If in the UK you can order a wooden cross to have a relative's name on it to be put in the Westminster Abbey field of remembrance. (Opens today for viewing).
Old Nov 7th 2019, 11:28 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

My father never wanted to be a soldier, and never wanted to touch a weapon again afterwards. But he went and volunteered when war was declared, failed the eye exam, hung about (with his glasses back on) and memorized the eye chart, then went to a different recruiting centre and recited it from memory.

Most of my OH's family on his mother's side (Austrian Jewish) were killed in the death camps. Never again.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

No personal story of heroism, but this thread reminded me that Nov11th 1959 was the day I started my Nation Service. 60 years ago.
As a boy I lived through WW2 and just about every child had a father serving. I have no memories of my father before the age of eight.
Let's not forget the mothers and young women that worked on the home front. My mother worked at a nearby RAF base throughout the war.
Old Nov 8th 2019, 12:11 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Dad never got sent overseas, but he was already in the reserves and was called up when the war started. He said things changed right away; the horses were gone and they got tanks and jeeps. I remember wearing his wedge cap when I was a little kid, some of his uniform was still in the bottom drawer of the office desk.

Edit: I just remembered something else; I asked him if the training he got was good, and he said it "It was great, they taught us how to do everything but stop a bullet."

Last edited by caretaker; Nov 8th 2019 at 12:35 am.
Old Nov 8th 2019, 11:56 am
Just Joined

JoanM is an unknown quantity at this point

A lovely post, LiW. My father was a gunner in the RAF in WW2, and then with the SAS in Malaya. We must never forget
Old Nov 8th 2019, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by JoanM View Post
A lovely post, LiW. My father was a gunner in the RAF in WW2, and then with the SAS in Malaya. We must never forget

Ah, another RAF family. My OH's grandfather was in Bomber Command, piloting in a Pathfinder squadron. Amazingly, given the numbers of bomber crew that were killed (a 44.4% death rate of all bomber crew. Yes, almost half of them.), he survived all 6 years.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Nov 8th 2019 at 2:05 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I'd been considering starting a thread, ever since hijacking the Films thread with my own remembrance

I'll not repeat it here, but rather quote one of the best summations I know

Went the day well?
We died and never knew.
But, well or ill,
Freedom, we died for you.
Went the day well?

When you go home,
Tell them of us and say,
"For your tomorrows,
These gave their todays".

John Maxwell Edmonds, 1918.

In Memory of my Grandfather's buddy, Private John Cantillon, 2nd Bn. Royal Munster Fusiliers killed at Arras, 25/06/1916.
He died for a freedom he never lived to see and has no known grave.
Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam uasal.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't have any family that were involved in either world war, but my wife did, her grandparents lived through world war 2, my wife and her mom usually go to a ceremony each year.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:34 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

My mother’s family were from South Shields, and most of the men folk were merchant mariners. A very high proportion of them were lost at sea - not just in war, but in peace time too. My great grandfather, master of a collier bringing coal from Seaham to London, died in 1917 when his ship was torpedoed by a U-boat off Spurn Head. One of his sons died in the 1930s; master of an oil tanker bound from Galveston, TX, to North Shields, he was lost overboard one night.

So my great grandmother was relieved when her grandson Harry decided to volunteer for the RAF in 1940, rather than follow the family tradition of serving on a merchant ship. He was a sergeant, flight engineer of a Lancaster bomber of 50 Sqdn, RAFVR. He died on the night of 22 May, 1944, along with the entire crew when their aircraft was shot down over Germany. The men were buried in the local cemetery with military honours by the German authorities. Subsequently, he was reburied by the CWGC at the Reichswald Forest War Cemetery.

There is an inscription on his headstone:

”YOU LIVE WITH US IN MEMORY STILL, NOT JUST TODAY BUT ALWAYS. DAD, MAM AND BROTHERS”

Last edited by robin1234; Nov 9th 2019 at 2:38 pm.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.