Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

The Recipe Thread

The Recipe Thread

Old Mar 19th 2007, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

missythang will become famous soon enoughmissythang will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: The Recipe Thread

spaghetti pie
1 8oz pack of spaghetti broken into 2 inch pieces ( i used the ruler, then found i could use my thumb to measure 2 inches ...lol )
2 tbls soft butter
1 medium onion chopped
1 green pepper
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 quart spaghetti sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 egg beaten
1 1/2 lbs of mince
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 lb of cottage cheese
12 oz shredded mozzarella cheese

cook spaghetti according to package then drain
in a large bowl mix butter parmesan cheese,salt and pepper and egg ..add spaghetti and toss to coat.... spread evenly in a greased 13x9 casserole dish

in a large saucepan add onion green pepper and mince brown ..when meat is browned drain off any fat, add spaghetti sauce and oregano ,

spread cottage cheese over the spaghetti layer.. top with the meat mixture bake at 350 degrees for 30 mins then sprinkle with mozzarella bake a additional 10 mins ... let stand for 15 mins before serving ...
makes 8 to 10 servings ..can also serve fresh made garlic bread ..and a tossed salad ......
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Recipe Thread

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Plse don't post any recipes using Grand Marnier...'cos that's for drinking only IMHO and will never get as far as the mixing bowl.
great stuff if used in cookies and truffles though
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap View Post
Custard tastes best out of a box made from scratch American style scratch that is..
Dunno never made it from a box. Actually, I might have, if I'd known it came in a box . The homemade was pretty good though.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
great stuff if used in cookies and truffles though
ooooh yes truffles... homemade truffles... with Cointreau, or Chambord... Dipped in chocolate or rolled in carmelized almonds...

Must make another batch soon - now I'm getting hungry!
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, I cant keep up, making notes here I ain't got a printer FFS. Thanks Lady's.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:08 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

This is easy, healthy and delicious. I go through tons of it.

Homemade Vinaigrette

1 - 1/3 cup water
2 - 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
3 - 1 cup extra virgin olive oil (or whatever oil you prefer)
4 - 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
5 - 4 cloves fresh garlic - pressed or chopped
6 - Tablespoon dried oregano
7 - Tablespoon lemon pepper
8 - Tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese

Shake and refrigerate.... it tastes better after a few hours in the refrigerator.

Also makes a great marinade for chicken, fish or roasted vegetables.

You can play around with the herbs and cheese and use whatever your favorites are. But (IMO) the first five ingredients are non-negotiable.

I like to use fresh herbs but find that after a couple of days some of them become mushy and a little unpleasing to the eye. If you prefer to use fresh herbs - make half the recipe and try to use it up in a day or two. With the dried stuff it will stay fresh in your fridge for weeks.

Last edited by Leslie; Mar 19th 2007 at 9:11 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

missythang will become famous soon enoughmissythang will become famous soon enough

growing up i can remember i hated brussel sprouts the thought of them would make me cringe but my brother and sisters loved them so i was forced to eat at least 2 of them yukkkkky the thought alone still makes the hairs on my arms stand up .....but last Thanksgiving my hubbys cousin made some and i have to admit i went back for seconds and thirds .....although its another of the fattening recipes but cares....

2 frozen pks of brussels
1 tsp nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
8oz gruyer cheese
2 oz shredded parmesan
heavy whipping cream

cut x in the bottom of the brussels
toss with 6oz of cheese salt and pepper and nutmeg
layer evenly in a casserole dish and top with remaining cheese
fill the dish 2/3 with the cream and bake at 350 utill brown and bubbly ....

and yes i now eat brussels but only done this way ......
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi and welcome.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:36 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Pots au Chocolate

75g/3oz plain chocolate
25g/1oz butter
yolks and whites of 3 standard eggs.
1 tablespoon warm water
150ml/ 1/4 pint double cream

1. Melt the chocolate over a pan of hot water.
Add the butter and leave until both have melted, stirring once or twice.

2. Beat in the egg yolks. When the mixture is smooth remove from the heat and stir in the hot water.

3.Beat the egg whites until they are stiff and fold into the chocolate mixture.

4. Transfer to individual dishes and chill.

5. Whip the cream and decorate the pots au choc just before serving.

Lovely and light when just chilled, thick and very velvety if chilled overnight.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sounds lovely. Just trying to research the chocolate - I'd be tempted to try Hershey's Extra Dark bars rather than the chips.

I think the U.S. equivalent of plain chocolate would be "dark" "bittersweet" or "semi-sweet". And you're looking for chocolate without milk in it apparently.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:42 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I have over a hundred cookery books and a ton of Good Food etc magazines.
If anyone need a recipe for anything let me know, I'm sure to have it in a book somewhere.
Now, off to open a box of something for tea.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:46 pm
Who?

Originally Posted by Tracym View Post
Sounds lovely. Just trying to research the chocolate - I'd be tempted to try Hershey's Extra Dark bars rather than the chips.

I think the U.S. equivalent of plain chocolate would be "dark" "bittersweet" or "semi-sweet". And you're looking for chocolate without milk in it apparently.
I use Chocolat Patissier Menier, which I have seen here. I can also get Guy Lian dark chocolate. Whatever you use needs to be at least 70% cocoa solids. World market should sell something. Our Giant Eagle sells good dark chocolate.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 10:14 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Because you mentioned chutney in the fish thread ... It's one of my favourite chutney recipes, as it's too easy.

Mango Chutney

Makes 1.25 kg (2 ½ lb)

900g mangoes
350g red onion
350g cooking apples
4 cloves
10 black peppercorns
1 dried red chilli
400 ml white vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 tsp black mustard seeds (toasted)
450g granulated sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp allspice (pimento)

Chop the peeled mango into bite sized pieces. Chop the onion. Peel, core and slice apples.

Put the cloves, peppercorns and chilli in a piece of muslin and tie with string to make a bag. Put the bag into a large pan with the onions, vinegar and bay leaves. Simmer for ten minutes (onions should be soft, but not mushy).

Add the mangoes, apples and mustard seeds. Simmer for a further fifteen minutes until the magoes are soft. Add sugar, ginger and allspice and bring to the boil. Keep stirring until the mixture resembles thick jam (this may take over an hour. It will be done when you can put a channel in the chutney with a wooden spoon, which doesn’t immediately fill with vinegar).

Spoon into warm jars (if you’re into sterilizing them, do that first) and seal. Store in a dark place for about three months.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George View Post
Because you mentioned chutney in the fish thread ... It's one of my favourite chutney recipes, as it's too easy.

Mango Chutney

Makes 1.25 kg (2 ½ lb)

900g mangoes
350g red onion
350g cooking apples
4 cloves
10 black peppercorns
1 dried red chilli
400 ml white vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 tsp black mustard seeds (toasted)
450g granulated sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp allspice (pimento)

Chop the peeled mango into bite sized pieces. Chop the onion. Peel, core and slice apples.

Put the cloves, peppercorns and chilli in a piece of muslin and tie with string to make a bag. Put the bag into a large pan with the onions, vinegar and bay leaves. Simmer for ten minutes (onions should be soft, but not mushy).

Add the mangoes, apples and mustard seeds. Simmer for a further fifteen minutes until the magoes are soft. Add sugar, ginger and allspice and bring to the boil. Keep stirring until the mixture resembles thick jam (this may take over an hour. It will be done when you can put a channel in the chutney with a wooden spoon, which doesn’t immediately fill with vinegar).

Spoon into warm jars (if you’re into sterilizing them, do that first) and seal. Store in a dark place for about three months.
see the men are crawling out of the woodwork with the receipes. GOOOOD.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 10:18 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13 View Post
see the men are crawling out of the woodwork with the receipes. GOOOOD.
You might want a look at my profile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.