Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

RAY’S 2021 OBIT THREAD

RAY’S 2021 OBIT THREAD

Old Dec 9th 2021, 5:03 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RAY’S 2021 OBIT THREAD

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Pretty much the sound of the 80s for many and still holds up today.
True - and the "openly gay" thing was a statement back then..... but Jimmy Somerville's voice was just epic.
Hard to think of him being 60 and the last survivor of the group.
Old Dec 9th 2021, 6:06 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
True - and the "openly gay" thing was a statement back then..... but Jimmy Somerville's voice was just epic.
Hard to think of him being 60 and the last survivor of the group.
Great version of 'Don't leave me this way" out on Youtube. (Sarah Jane Morris helping out on vocals).
Old Dec 10th 2021, 5:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Hey…we’re the Monkees…

Mike Nesmith died of natural causes, age 78.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...s-dies-aged-78

Used to love watching The Monkees Saturday evenings, after spending the afternoon at the swimming baths.
Old Dec 10th 2021, 6:39 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Hey Hey…we’re the Monkees…

Mike Nesmith died of natural causes, age 78.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...s-dies-aged-78

Used to love watching The Monkees Saturday evenings, after spending the afternoon at the swimming baths.
Yeah, the Monkees were a thing.... cringingly, embarassingly American but the music was good.

Nesmith was the most vocal against the confected image of the Monkees and paid the penalty when he left in 1970, having to pay $450k to get out of his contract,,,a sum that left hm financially crippled for a decade.

He had to cancel the last four dates of his 2018 tour with Micky Dolenz and it later transpired that he had undergone quadruple bypass heart surgery, and had been hospitalized for over a month.

Old Dec 10th 2021, 8:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Yeah, the Monkees were a thing.... cringingly, embarassingly American but the music was good.

Nesmith was the most vocal against the confected image of the Monkees and paid the penalty when he left in 1970, having to pay $450k to get out of his contract,,,a sum that left hm financially crippled for a decade.

He had to cancel the last four dates of his 2018 tour with Micky Dolenz and it later transpired that he had undergone quadruple bypass heart surgery, and had been hospitalized for over a month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQcYlofO2L8
I suppose they were cringeworthy, but I loved them. ❤️
Old Dec 15th 2021, 10:16 pm
Resident Cynic

Today the death was announced of Geoffrey Rowe, better known as Jethro, the Cornish comedian. He was 73 and died of complications arising from Covid-19.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-59666409
Although he veered to "the dark side" with some very blue material, he was a genuinely funny guy. I met him in Dorset some years ago (and had no idea who he was at the time) - he was just one of those people who made you crack up with every second sentence he said. I never forgot that chance meeting!

Unfortunately, and although I've seen nothing to confirm it, I think he was suffering from early onset dementia too, because he announced his retuirement after 50 years in 2020, telling the BBC that he was having difficulties remembering his jokes. "My memory is not too good, and sometimes I get in a theatre full of people and they are all laughing, and they are going to stop in a minute, and there's nothing in my head - that isn't much of a place to be". Indeed. A sad end for a man who relied on his wits for a living.

For anyone who hasn't heard him, I found this on TouTube

Cusk yn cres, Jethro. Rest in peace.
Old Dec 16th 2021, 11:25 pm
Resident Cynic

I heard a brilliant comment on Jethro's passing today - one the man hisself would have appreciated....

"I ear ol' Jeffro passed on - thass a shame.
Specially since 'e were 'noculated.
Mine dew, that there were a rum ole do....
'E went fur 'is jab, then a nurse said "small prick" and 'e stomped off in a paddy
"!!

Jethro would have told it better.....
Old Dec 17th 2021, 10:02 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't know her, but what a heck of an obit!!!!
https://www.fayobserver.com/obituaries/m0028451
Old Dec 18th 2021, 4:39 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

John Morgan, drummer with 'The Wurzels' has died, Covid, He was 80. they had hits with 'Combine Harvester' and 'I am a Cider Drinker' in the 70's, he caught it in Manchester where they were appearing. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-59706179
Old Dec 18th 2021, 6:52 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
John Morgan, drummer with 'The Wurzels' has died, Covid, He was 80. they had hits with 'Combine Harvester' and 'I am a Cider Drinker' in the 70's, he caught it in Manchester where they were appearing. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-59706179
Bloody hell, rough few days for the west country!!
Old Dec 20th 2021, 8:04 am
Resident Cynic

Il Divo singer Carlos Marin has died, aged 53
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59722285
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 8:00 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Sally Ann Howes, age 91 played 'Truly Scrumptious in 'Chitty Chiity Bang Bang' https://uk.news.yahoo.com/sally-ann-...rc=fp_deeplink
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 8:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

World’s oldest person ever dies age 135!!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...away-home.html
Old Dec 25th 2021, 9:56 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Ray Illingworth, 89 -- I remember seeing him play at Headingley when I was a kid.

Ray Illingworth -- Yorkshire and England Great Dies
Old Dec 26th 2021, 8:13 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Archbishop Desmond Tutu, 90

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-...rica/100726268

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.