Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

A question of proper grammar

A question of proper grammar

Old Feb 13th 2021, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default A question of proper grammar

I was recently considering the purchase of the book in the photo here attached. I have not purchased it yet because I have been preoccupied with the grammar used in the title. I will not state my issue with it, but will wait to see if anyone else reads it the way that I do. I am sure they were trying to be grammatically cute by placing the title where it is and the authors name where it is But even then it becomes a punctuation discussion. Good grief, I am so bored. Can you tell?

Last edited by dakota44; Feb 13th 2021 at 2:58 am.
Old Feb 13th 2021, 3:54 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question of proper grammar

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
I was recently considering the purchase of the book in the photo here attached. I have not purchased it yet because I have been preoccupied with the grammar used in the title. I will not state my issue with it, but will wait to see if anyone else reads it the way that I do. I am sure they were trying to be grammatically cute by placing the title where it is and the authors name where it is But even then it becomes a punctuation discussion. Good grief, I am so bored. Can you tell?

I'm taking 5 minutes between shopping and visiting my sister, so I'll 'ave a go
If we disregard the different fonts and read the entire text as one sentence, there should be a comma after 'this', another after 'race', another after 'me', and yet a bloody another after 'Perlroth'.

The way the text is presented annoys me, enough to put me off buying the book. I'm very shallow like that
Old Feb 13th 2021, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I'm taking 5 minutes between shopping and visiting my sister, so I'll 'ave a go
If we disregard the different fonts and read the entire text as one sentence, there should be a comma after 'this', another after 'race', another after 'me', and yet a bloody another after 'Perlroth'.

The way the text is presented annoys me, enough to put me off buying the book. I'm very shallow like that
Damn, you sound like me. The commas would be correct, of course, but it is still playing too cute with grammar. I have not bought the book yet because it annoys me as well and I would be preoccupied with checking her grammar.

Last edited by dakota44; Feb 13th 2021 at 4:16 am.
Old Feb 13th 2021, 8:08 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree. I think you're over-reading the meaning within the text.
The punctuation, such as it is, is embedded within the text in the different fonts.
The text is not intended to be read as one whole.
The main title is "THIS IS HOW THEY TELL ME THE WORLD ENDS"
It is complemented by supplementary text that invites you to read it as the answer to the implied question 'What is it that they tell you?' and you read this in both lower case and smaller font intended to discriminate it from the main body, and the answer is of course "The Cyber-Weapons Arms Race".
This interpretation is supported by the fact that the authoress is included in a similar lower case small font that is intended to answer yet another implied question "Who is telling me this?"
No commas are needed.
Old Feb 13th 2021, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
I disagree. I think you're over-reading the meaning within the text.
The punctuation, such as it is, is embedded within the text in the different fonts.
The text is not intended to be read as one whole.
The main title is "THIS IS HOW THEY TELL ME THE WORLD ENDS"
It is complemented by supplementary text that invites you to read it as the answer to the implied question 'What is it that they tell you?' and you read this in both lower case and smaller font intended to discriminate it from the main body, and the answer is of course "The Cyber-Weapons Arms Race".
This interpretation is supported by the fact that the authoress is included in a similar lower case small font that is intended to answer yet another implied question "Who is telling me this?"
No commas are needed.
The entire issue of grammar began with the supposed 'main title' as you described it. The words THIS IS HOW, if correctly used, describe the manner in which something is done. The title, in this case, should have been THIS, THEY TELL ME, IS HOW THE WORLD ENDS. They just played cute with the use of text as supposed commas to try and legitimize what they did.
Old Feb 13th 2021, 11:55 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The entire issue of grammar began with the supposed 'main title' as you described it. The words THIS IS HOW, if correctly used, describe the manner in which something is done. The title, in this case, should have been THIS, THEY TELL ME, IS HOW THE WORLD ENDS. They just played cute with the use of text as supposed commas to try and legitimize what they did.
Did you not buy Little Feat records because the lyrics never had capitalisation?
Old Feb 13th 2021, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Did you not buy Little Feat records because the lyrics never had capitalisation?
I did not buy any Little Feat records, for a very good reason. I've never heard of him. Of course I am assuming it is a him, for no particular reason. Could be a her. No clue.
Old Feb 13th 2021, 1:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I did not buy any Little Feat records, for a very good reason. I've never heard of him. Of course I am assuming it is a him, for no particular reason. Could be a her. No clue.
It's a them.
Old Feb 13th 2021, 1:25 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

This is how (they tell me) the world ends.

Everything about the book is very annoying. And all I’ve seen is the cover.
Old Feb 13th 2021, 2:44 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I blame James Joyce and his stream of bloody consciousness. That's where the rot set in.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, before getting as far as the attached photo of the book cover, the very first thing I observed was your omission of a full stop between the word 'it' and your capitalized 'But'.
Normally that wouldn't have bothered me, but it becomes especially significant as you raise this as a punctuation discussion.
Regarding buying the book to read, if the title particularly interested me, I'd first Google a few book reviews such as goodreads.com or similar. I also see that Amazon has it listed as a 'best-seller', which may possibly just be marketing hype.
No, the way the text is presented doesn't annoy me enough to justify not buying the book, if the reviews were positive.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Feb 16th 2021 at 9:44 am.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 3:33 pm
Thems the Vagaries

LuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond repute

My grammar is so bad, but since she is 98 I am not surprised.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 5:14 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LuTziE View Post
My grammar is so bad, but since she is 98 I am not surprised.

Old Feb 17th 2021, 7:40 pm
Thems the Vagaries

LuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond repute

LOL.
It is like the word therapist. dont put a space between the E and R
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 3:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LuTziE View Post
LOL.
It is like the word therapist. dont put a space between the E and R
'ello you! Been a long while. Hope all's good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.