British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/)
-   -   The Puppy Dog Thread. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/puppy-dog-thread-902676/)

Nutek Apr 26th 2021 1:41 pm

Re: The Puppy Dog Thread.

grrrrr....

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...343b1111be.png

Jerseygirl Apr 26th 2021 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 12999395)
grrrrr....

Is that foreplay? 🐾🐾

Nutek Apr 26th 2021 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12999407)
Is that foreplay? 🐾🐾

That tunnel sees a lot of action.

Nutmegger Apr 27th 2021 8:31 pm

This is a little montage that I made when I realized the similarity in the photos. On the left, that's Alexei in 1996, and on the right his great-great-great granddaughter, Layla, in 2015.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...ae4c68b325.jpg

Jerseygirl Apr 27th 2021 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 13000018)
This is a little montage that I made when I realized the similarity in the photos. On the left, that's Alexei in 1996, and on the right his great-great-great granddaughter, Layla, in 2015.

Looks like the same beautiful dog to me.

One of my daughter’s teachers had a large black standard poodle. One day she thought she saw her dog at the bottom of the driveway. Unfortunately her eyesight was very bad and she wasn’t wearing glasses. She ran down the drive to retrieve the dog, it wasn’t until she got right up to it she relished it was a bear. :scaredhair:

Nutmegger Apr 27th 2021 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13000024)
Looks like the same beautiful dog to me.

One of my daughter’s teachers had a large black standard poodle. One day she thought she saw her dog at the bottom of the driveway. Unfortunately her eyesight was very bad and she wasn’t wearing glasses. She ran down the drive to retrieve the dog, it wasn’t until she got right up to it she relished it was a bear. :scaredhair:

OMG! What a story! My friend in NH sees bears all the time, and I know they've been seen in CT, but nothing here yet.

You're right about the likeness -- we have a screensaver of dog photos on the TV, and the other night my OH commented that he's getting to the point where he's not sure which of the two white dogs is in the photo -- especially in the puppy pictures.

Jerseygirl Apr 27th 2021 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 13000029)
OMG! What a story! My friend in NH sees bears all the time, and I know they've been seen in CT, but nothing here yet.

You're right about the likeness -- we have a screensaver of dog photos on the TV, and the other night my OH commented that he's getting to the point where he's not sure which of the two white dogs is in the photo -- especially in the puppy pictures.

We used to see bears and coyotes when we lived in NJ. Plenty of coyotes here in Toronto. They are usually fairly scrawny animals, but a few weeks ago a huge one walked right past our gate. It was much bigger than a German Shepherd, had a lot of meat on it too. They regularly walk around the small park at the back of our house.

caretaker Apr 27th 2021 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13000030)
We used to see bears and coyotes when we lived in NJ. Plenty of coyotes here in Toronto. They are usually fairly scrawny animals, but a few weeks ago a huge one walked right past our gate. It was much bigger than a German Shepherd, had a lot of meat on it too. They regularly walk around the small park at the back of our house.

Coyotes are around 35lbs, German Shepherds are around 65 - 90, Timber Wolf maybe 60 - 100, but they can all get bigger. There are a lot of Coy-Wolves in the country now, which make up a lot of the big looking coyotes.

Jerseygirl Apr 27th 2021 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13000046)
Coyotes are around 35lbs, German Shepherds are around 65 - 90, Timber Wolf maybe 60 - 100, but they can all get bigger. There are a lot of Coy-Wolves in the country now, which make up a lot of the big looking coyotes.

Hubby did think it may be a cross between a coyote and a wolf. It was much, much bigger than the coyotes we usually see.

Jsmth321 May 11th 2021 8:35 pm

My moms dog, he is 12. He has been in the dog hospital since Monday morning. Went into congestive heart failure, vet says he is stabilizing and if he gets through the next 24 hours stable, and medications work, he should be able to live several more years with medication, but its the first 24-48 hours to stabilize before the vet can say for sure.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...6496001c58.jpg

caretaker May 11th 2021 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13005130)
My moms dog, he is 12. He has been in the dog hospital since Monday morning. Went into congestive heart failure, vet says he is stabilizing and if he gets through the next 24 hours stable, and medications work, he should be able to live several more years with medication, but its the first 24-48 hours to stabilize before the vet can say for sure.

Poor little guy, I hope he comes out ok. While 12 might be life expectancy for a larger dog, some of those little ones can go 16 or more years.

Jerseygirl May 11th 2021 8:45 pm

:fingerscrossed: He makes it.

13 months ago my daughters Cavalier was in heart failure. This happened 3 times over a few weeks. She was told the dog had weeks, not months or years. Gradually the doggy cardio doctor tried different meds. She takes 5 meds at various intervals, 4 x per day. One med that really made a difference was a human med…Entresto. It is very expensive. She pays a small fortune every month for the 5 meds.

Charlotte, Cavalier, had her 12 month check up a few weeks ago. The doctor said although the meds have helped several dogs…she is doing the best. Her heart was very enlarged and is now almost back to normal size. She is like a young dog again, she is livelier than ever.

edit: She is almost 10 years old

Nutmegger May 11th 2021 9:38 pm

Sending good wishes to the little one. Fingers crossed that the meds do the job. :fingerscrossed:

Jsmth321 May 11th 2021 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13005132)
Poor little guy, I hope he comes out ok. While 12 might be life expectancy for a larger dog, some of those little ones can go 16 or more years.

My step mom has a toy poodle and he is 17 this year, only now really showing his age, sleeping most of the day, not playing anymore, so he is probably in the twilight of this life. Growing up my mom had a chihuahua she got in summer of 1978, 9 months or so before I was born in April 1979, dog lived until 1999 almost to the end of 1999, so she almost made it to 2000, but missed it by a few weeks.

We also had a cat that made it to 18 and a goose who made it to 17. Considering it was a domestic goose meant for meat, it lived a pretty long life by comparison.

BEVS May 12th 2021 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13005155)
My step mom has a toy poodle and he is 17 this year, only now really showing his age, sleeping most of the day, not playing anymore, so he is probably in the twilight of this life. Growing up my mom had a chihuahua she got in summer of 1978, 9 months or so before I was born in April 1979, dog lived until 1999 almost to the end of 1999, so she almost made it to 2000, but missed it by a few weeks.

We also had a cat that made it to 18 and a goose who made it to 17. Considering it was a domestic goose meant for meat, it lived a pretty long life by comparison.

Oh yes. Your goose :wub:
My Ty pusscat almost made it to 20 yrs old.
The golden retriever next door , that we are currently keeping company and walking daily at the moment . is 13. His rear hip is not so good sometimes and last walk a sprightly elderly gent on a mountain bike stopped in admiration and said ' He's an old boy like me. Seen better days . Knows all the tricks but just can't do them anymore." I thought that was lovely.