British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/)
-   -   The Puppy Dog Thread. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/puppy-dog-thread-902676/)

GeniB Dec 3rd 2017 8:32 am

re: The Puppy Dog Thread.
 

Originally Posted by Maste (Post 12390750)
Yeah, I was used to the wolfing it down and then her pestering for more, which she never got! :) She definitely doesn't have too much, as I am very particular, I weigh her weekly and adjust accordingly for daily exercise levels etc, and she's always been 50lbs.

We recently got back from thanksgiving at the GF's parent's house, and there she did pinch her parents dog food (they have wet food due to old age and having a lack of teeth), so I was thinking maybe she was holding out for that kind of food as she got a taste for it!

She's only 1 yr and 2 months, so shouldn't be an age thing. She's a sniffer and scavenger for sure, so she may have found/ate something in the big yard at my GF's parents!

I think I'll give her a couple of days to see, as everything else does seem fine, even her pooping isn't a cause for concern!

Only just got back to this ..so missed a lot...including SOS'S beautiful Goldie..
I hope the problem has been solved.Your dog is much too young to have an eating problem like that. Maybe holding out for 'real ' food as I like to call it :lol:

GeniB Dec 3rd 2017 8:45 am

re: The Puppy Dog Thread.
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12392783)
I've posted this one before in the Canada forums, but couldn't resist adding it to the mix here!

This is Abbey, from last Christmas..

:)

Thats adorable... what kind of dog is she? We try and get Senga to wear reindeer ears at Christmas. Fights us to the death--- :lol:

Maste Dec 3rd 2017 11:44 am

re: The Puppy Dog Thread.
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12392950)
Thank you, I think so too (but I am a little biased, lol). She's a cockapoo and is 5 years old, has the sweetest disposition and never leaves my side. :wub:

Not biased, she is cute! :) What I'd do for a dog that wouldn't run off from our side all the time! haha.


Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12393192)
Nice legs!:lol: I mean the dogs of course...

Oh lala, cheeky ;)


Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12393196)
Only just got back to this ..so missed a lot...including SOS'S beautiful Goldie..
I hope the problem has been solved.Your dog is much too young to have an eating problem like that. Maybe holding out for 'real ' food as I like to call it :lol:

I think I've figured it out, she's just bored of her bowl and feeding habit! The little sneak tries to eat a little bit, but notices it is is easier to eat if it's out of the bowl! So I think you all know the next step :nod:

Yep, a big fat whack of the bowl with her paw to get all of the food out and then she soon hoovers it all up! If I catch her in time I can catch her paw suspended mid air and with a firm 'No', she freezes, stares at me, makes her decision, and usually leaves it. She doesn't like being in trouble haha :rofl: We started giving her meals in her huge wobble Kong again, as she has to roll/wobble it to get food out, and she seems better eating now!

She's so clever though, we never have to tell her to get in her crate anymore. When putting our shoes on, she's figured that if we tell her she's coming with us aka 'Are you ready?' or 'Want to go to the dog park/for a run?', then she goes and sits by the front door. If we say nothing to her, we are going somewhere she can't come, and she goes to her toy box, takes a couple of toys into her crate ready, then lies in her crate with the door open until we shut it for her! :wub:

Nutek Dec 3rd 2017 12:07 pm

re: The Puppy Dog Thread.
 
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-McRqtrH-M.jpg

caretaker Dec 3rd 2017 1:26 pm

re: The Puppy Dog Thread.
 
1 Attachment(s)
.

Maste Dec 4th 2017 1:06 am

re: The Puppy Dog Thread.
 
First hike for the pup today! We went for a long hike, armed with her absolute favourite home made treats and plenty of water. 6 miles of walking up and down and over stuff. We gave her 15 minutes of her first off leash time ever. Risky business any time we do that, I know, but I ensured we were nowhere near roads, edges or anything dangerous, plus there was absolutely no wildlife around which was great for us with our pup!

She always pulls when we walk on lead and we have tried everything! I believe part of that is because of her breed - mostly pointer, some blue heeler - meaning she wants to be away from us but close to us, if that makes sense! She stayed in our vision and sight for almost all of it, which is expected from female pointers. She disappeared down a wrong turn at one point, but we stayed calm, and with a sharp whistle of mine that she recognises, she came sprinting back to me, as she knew I would give her the peanut butter and pumpkin baked treat (something I always do, it's her 'emergency' recall, so anytime she comes when I whistle, no matter the situation or where we are, she gets a big reward treat).

It was fun to give her 15 mins of off leash time outside of the dog park time. Her first reaction was a 20 yard dash, didn't hear any panic or 'come back' from us, so she froze, turned and stared at us confused as if to say 'wait, you're not going to chase me or expect me to come back? I can really go and sniff whatever I want?'

GeniB Dec 4th 2017 7:48 pm

re: The Puppy Dog Thread.
 

Originally Posted by Maste (Post 12393596)
First hike for the pup today! We went for a long hike, armed with her absolute favourite home made treats and plenty of water. 6 miles of walking up and down and over stuff. We gave her 15 minutes of her first off leash time ever. Risky business any time we do that, I know, but I ensured we were nowhere near roads, edges or anything dangerous, plus there was absolutely no wildlife around which was great for us with our pup!

She always pulls when we walk on lead and we have tried everything! I believe part of that is because of her breed - mostly pointer, some blue heeler - meaning she wants to be away from us but close to us, if that makes sense! She stayed in our vision and sight for almost all of it, which is expected from female pointers. She disappeared down a wrong turn at one point, but we stayed calm, and with a sharp whistle of mine that she recognises, she came sprinting back to me, as she knew I would give her the peanut butter and pumpkin baked treat (something I always do, it's her 'emergency' recall, so anytime she comes when I whistle, no matter the situation or where we are, she gets a big reward treat).

It was fun to give her 15 mins of off leash time outside of the dog park time. Her first reaction was a 20 yard dash, didn't hear any panic or 'come back' from us, so she froze, turned and stared at us confused as if to say 'wait, you're not going to chase me or expect me to come back? I can really go and sniff whatever I want?'

She may do better on a body halter.. We find Senga is much better behaved on hers. We did try the 'Halti' nose one that wraps around the muzzle,but she hated it and fought us to get it off. OH doesn't like /have time to do anything but clip on the lead...so she 'carts' him for most of their walk.. The only thing to perhaps be aware of is the colour of the halter... Senga's is bright red. When I walk her down to the village with my sunglass's on I sometimes feel people think I am blind..Hysterical when she 'carts' me across the road after a cat..:eek:

Tarkak9 Dec 4th 2017 8:41 pm

re: The Puppy Dog Thread.
 
2 Attachment(s)
I lost mine back in April this year. Tarka (hence my handle) was 13 and didn't look nor act a day over 5. I rescued her from KS when she was 10 weeks old. The story told to me was that the litter was found abandoned and it was reckoned she and the litter mates were orphaned when the mother was shot after wandering on someone's farm. 2 didn't make it. A kind sole fostered the remaining 9 and placed them through a rescue. My two fave pics are posted.

macliam Dec 4th 2017 10:12 pm

re: The Puppy Dog Thread.
 

Originally Posted by Tarkak9 (Post 12393994)
I lost mine back in April this year. Tarka (hence my handle) was 13 and didn't look nor act a day over 5. I rescued her from KS when she was 10 weeks old. The story told to me was that the litter was found abandoned and it was reckoned she and the litter mates were orphaned when the mother was shot after wandering on someone's farm. 2 didn't make it. A kind sole fostered the remaining 9 and placed them through a rescue. My two fave pics are posted.

Lovely girl.
There is a special place in Hell for those who mistreat animals.

GeniB Dec 5th 2017 9:04 pm

re: The Puppy Dog Thread.
 

Originally Posted by Tarkak9 (Post 12393994)
I lost mine back in April this year. Tarka (hence my handle) was 13 and didn't look nor act a day over 5. I rescued her from KS when she was 10 weeks old. The story told to me was that the litter was found abandoned and it was reckoned she and the litter mates were orphaned when the mother was shot after wandering on someone's farm. 2 didn't make it. A kind sole fostered the remaining 9 and placed them through a rescue. My two fave pics are posted.

What a lovely dog.. It is sad when you lose them..I waited 8 yrs before I got Senga.I was devastated when my first Golden Ria died...

bobnoltis Dec 7th 2017 6:20 pm

re: The Puppy Dog Thread.
 
That's sad to hear. Our dog is getting up there in age and I don't know what my partner will do when he passes.

Nutek Dec 11th 2017 2:57 pm

re: The Puppy Dog Thread.
 
https://photos.smugmug.com/Pets/Emil...10.41.29-M.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Pets/Emil...10.44.37-M.jpg

:)

Maste Dec 13th 2017 12:32 pm

re: The Puppy Dog Thread.
 

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 12397823)
[URL]:)

She's looking happy! How is she getting on?

I can't wait for our Christmas vacation to Chicago, hopefully her first experience of snow!

I'm also very upset. We will have to board her for most of Christmas break (5 days) as my girlfriends parents have two toy sized dogs, and Dani is a large dog. Being a puppy, she doesn't understand she's too big, too scary and a little too rough play wise for little dogs :( Her first Christmas day out of a shelter (she was in a shelter last Christmas) and she won't get to spend it with us as she's not matured enough to take it easy and relax around other dogs. This has actually made me feel crap and rubbish about Christmas now! :(

BenK91 Dec 13th 2017 5:22 pm

re: The Puppy Dog Thread.
 
Meet Ralph!

http://i63.tinypic.com/2q396vm.jpg

He’s a French bulldog and he just turned 2! I got him when he was 12 weeks old and he’s a huge character (also a massive pain in the arse sometimes).

Nutek Dec 13th 2017 10:55 pm

re: The Puppy Dog Thread.
 

Originally Posted by Maste (Post 12399038)
She's looking happy! How is she getting on?

I can't wait for our Christmas vacation to Chicago, hopefully her first experience of snow!

I'm also very upset. We will have to board her for most of Christmas break (5 days) as my girlfriends parents have two toy sized dogs, and Dani is a large dog. Being a puppy, she doesn't understand she's too big, too scary and a little too rough play wise for little dogs :( Her first Christmas day out of a shelter (she was in a shelter last Christmas) and she won't get to spend it with us as she's not matured enough to take it easy and relax around other dogs. This has actually made me feel crap and rubbish about Christmas now! :(

She is doing ok I think. Has good days and bad. Just need the good ones to outnumber the bad now... Hopefully just a case of needing time to heal. It's been slow going so far.

Don't let Christmas be spoilt... There is a big difference between being stuck in a shelter and being put up in a doggy hotel for a few days of Christmas relaxation by a caring owner. :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:53 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.