Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

The Presidental "Debates"

The Presidental "Debates"

Old Oct 15th 2012, 3:00 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Presidental "Debates"

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex View Post
Well frankly I do. Because people who think like him run the country.
And this.

"God’s word is true. I’ve come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell."

Running unopposed.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...,4628858.story

Oh and he's on the House Science, Space and Technology committee.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Romney can't seem to give any details on what loopholes and deductions he will close to give everyone a 20% tax break plus multimillionaires very large tax breaks by eliminating inheritance taxes and can't give any details about how he would balance the budget except get rid of Planned Parenthood and PBS/NPR which account for less than $1 billion dollars per year but will increase spending on the military by $2 trillion.
They have clearly explained the plan - they can give the tax cut by funding it with closed loopholes. Through this magic, everyone will end up paying the same as they currently do, exactly as if they had done nothing at all. Clearly worth doing! But the real kicker is that it grows the economy. The details on that are much fuzzier, probably less taxes = more business or some such "self evident truth" that has never been found to actually be true.

On an unrelated note:
I heard a stat recently, not been able to confirm if it is true yet, that three "small" businesses account for 60% of the total income of all small businesses in the country. Three.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian View Post
They have clearly explained the plan - they can give the tax cut by funding it with closed loopholes. Through this magic, everyone will end up paying the same as they currently do, exactly as if they had done nothing at all. Clearly worth doing! But the real kicker is that it grows the economy. The details on that are much fuzzier, probably less taxes = more business or some such "self evident truth" that has never been found to actually be true.

On an unrelated note:
I heard a stat recently, not been able to confirm if it is true yet, that three "small" businesses account for 60% of the total income of all small businesses in the country. Three.
I believe it is 3% and not 3. Those 3% are usually hedge funds and private equity firms. The 3% only employee a small number of people (probably less than 3% of the employment for small businesses) but produce a large amount of income for the fund managers and the firms.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 15th 2012 at 4:20 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I believe it is 3% and not 3. Those 3% are usually hedge funds and private equity firms. The 3% only employee a small number of people (probably less than 3% of the employment for small businesses) but produce a large amount of income for the fund managers and the firms.
Hmmm...

The company that bought P&O Ports for $7.8Bn back in 2007 had 5 employees... is this the kind of 'small' business we're referring to...?
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:43 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider View Post
Hmmm...

The company that bought P&O Ports for $7.8Bn back in 2007 had 5 employees... is this the kind of 'small' business we're referring to...?
Koch Brothers! They are invested in S corporations and limited partnerships.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider View Post
Hmmm...

I'm not exactly sure of the criteria for classifying small business but google and facebook were both classified as small businesses not long before they went public. I believe at that time facebook was assumed to be worth between $50 and $100 billion before it was no longer considered to be a small business.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I'm not exactly sure of the criteria for classifying small business but google and facebook were both classified as small businesses not long before they went public. I believe at that time facebook was assumed to be worth between $50 and $100 billion before it was no longer considered to be a small business.
I think in the UK a small/medium enterprise ('SME') is less than 250 employees, and less than I think £50 million annual revenue.

Related but different - I know of a very profitable company with $Bn revenues that gets a rebate of over $500K for training... not really the best way to spend tax payer $ methinks...
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

My mother-in-law sent me a link to a Youtube video which is pretty generic anti-Obama uber-patriotic drivel made for the tea party people. The email the link was contained in went on about Oklahoma State University making the clip and that it has 6 million views in only the four days it has been released. The link conveniently opens to a full screen version of the video where you can't see the details about the video. A bit of url manipulation got me to the proper YouTube page where it is clear the video has nothing to do with Oklahoma State University, and is almost three years old. So tempted to send an anti-Romney video link in return but I know it wouldn't make any difference.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Where I am just turn on the local TV and you can have your fill of anti Obama and anti Romney adverts.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:23 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Where I am just turn on the local TV and you can have your fill of anti Obama and anti Romney adverts.
Well, there you go. A true alternative for ya. I've gone for Green candidates where standing, Democrat where not. On the non-partisan part, I've found the Tea Party morons via the web and voted against them. On the election of judges, I vote yea for any who are declared to be activist on the nutball blogs, and leave the rest blank. I'm still working on the tricky propositions, but my inclination is most of them have special big money behind them and my inclination is usually no.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

It may happen
Attached Thumbnails The Presidental "Debates"-obama.jpg  
Old Oct 15th 2012, 9:04 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte View Post
It may happen
Another typical piece of Dogbyte nastiness.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian View Post
My mother-in-law sent me a link to a Youtube video which is pretty generic anti-Obama uber-patriotic drivel made for the tea party people. The email the link was contained in went on about Oklahoma State University making the clip and that it has 6 million views in only the four days it has been released. The link conveniently opens to a full screen version of the video where you can't see the details about the video. A bit of url manipulation got me to the proper YouTube page where it is clear the video has nothing to do with Oklahoma State University, and is almost three years old. So tempted to send an anti-Romney video link in return but I know it wouldn't make any difference.
As I read recently:

"Internet's fatal flaw: writing BS takes seconds. Debunking it, with explanation and evidence, takes hours. It's an asymmetric war. "
Old Oct 15th 2012, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Presidential Debate fatal flaw as well.

You get to the point where you do not believe anything, which is sad.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 11:04 pm
The Unmod

Mendacious Mitt and Lyin' Ryan are still pushing the "six studies":

a blog post from the American Enterprise Institute
another blog post from the American Enterprise Institute
an op-ed by Martin Feldstein (which Romney contradicted in an interview)
a blog post from Martin Feldstein responding to criticisms of his op-ed
an actual paper from the Heritage Foundation
a working paper from Prof. Harvey Rosen of Princeton, a former Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Treasury in the first Bush Administration and the chair of the Council of Economic Advisers under Bush II (and even he qualified it later)

Links here.

Edit: I forgot to say that Feldstein is a Romney adviser.

Last edited by paddingtongreen; Oct 15th 2012 at 11:20 pm. Reason: Omission

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.