Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

The Presidental "Debates"

The Presidental "Debates"

Old Oct 4th 2012, 3:16 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Presidental "Debates"

I just want to put in a word for Lehrer. I thought at first he was too soft, but as it went on I believe he didn't want to interfere. Plus the way they acted showed something of their character.

LOVED the format.

Pete
Old Oct 4th 2012, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

In the cold light of day it seems truly incredible that they are arguing about things that the rest of the developed world takes for granted.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider View Post

Given Congress will likely still be largely grid locked after inauguration, doesn't this suggest ANY president will have little direct control over this topic?
I think you hit the nail on the head there, unless some of these extreme right wingers get their pink slips in November, and scares other Republicans to compromise.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Watching a recording of the debate now. I totally respect what he has done, historically in his career, but - he's clearly NOT up to this task! All I hear is mumbles in the background indicating he's trying to get things under control, but he gets nowhere. He looks just a touch past his sell-by date ...
I'm not sure if Lehrer was ever really up to a task like this but he certainly isn't up to it now ...
Old Oct 4th 2012, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen View Post
The referee's job is to allow the game to go on, not keep stopping the action for minor fouls. He allowed them both to run on.
If the agreed rules are that you have two minutes to make a statement, and you can't make your point in two minutes then it is not a point worth making.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065 View Post
I'm not sure if Lehrer was ever really up to a task like this but he certainly isn't up to it now ...
He reminded me of that old bloke they wheel out to do the New Year countdown.

The land of 'free enterprise' should give people who aren't up to it their marching orders.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:03 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to see Romney's plans for cutting the deficit with no new taxes, additional tax cuts, and all to be paid for by creating jobs which pay "above average" and the ritual sacrifice of Big Bird.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
I'd love to see Romney's plans for cutting the deficit with no new taxes, additional tax cuts, and all to be paid for by creating jobs which pay "above average" and the ritual sacrifice of Big Bird.
None of it adds up.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:10 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
None of it adds up.
No - I was simply agog as Mitt happily flung numbers and sob stories around: 23 million unemployed people; people begging him and his wife for jobs and assistance (do they count as the 47%?), and the inference that this was all Obama's fault and that he, SuperMitt, was going to take care of us all. Bless.
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass View Post
Agree. Dick Clark needs to permanently retire!
He moved six feet under on 18 April.
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

You mean you haven't heard about the Republicans magical deficit fairy which when it sprinkles its magical dust you can spend what you like and not have to pay for any of it.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:11 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
You mean you haven't heard about the Republicans magical deficit fairy which when it sprinkles its magical dust you can spend what you like and not have to pay for any of it.
I thought the Republicans weren't into fairies.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

He moved six feet under on 18 April.
whoops! forgot that little tidbit of knowledge!
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:12 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the Republicans weren't into fairies.
Well they all seem to believe in mythical creatures of one form or another. Maybe they'll just pray the debt away.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:15 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Well they all seem to believe in mythical creatures of one form or another. Maybe they'll just pray the debt away.
I was thinking maybe Mitt was going to throw the wealth of the entire Mormon church at the deficit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.