Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Orphanage....

Orphanage....

Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orphanage....

We have jumped in with both feet and then some with the undertaking of this project. It is critical due to the failing water infrastructure, contamination of the system and health concerns. The clean water system we installed at the main kitchen was a baby step and now we need to deal with decontaminating the entire system and supplying clean water to every house.

We also seek to replace the diesel generator at the well with solar power, saving the orphanage $1,000 per month in fuel costs. Work has begun, to some extent, thanks a financial contribution of some funds by Randy to buy new pipe and other materials. My friend Scott rounded up half a dozen guys willing to handle a shovel and started work cutting out stairs in the mountain side to the proposed sites of new water tanks. I have another donation from another supporter that will be used to purchase more material shortly. At this point it is a rather piecemeal effort due to funding needs. We seek companies, individuals or organizations interested in providing any assistance they can.

I have attached a pdf of the engineering proposal prepared by my friend Randy, who is the one spearheading the project. It is quite detailed and specific as to the project and the cost. It also includes a proposed irrigation system for a proposed orchard to provide a consistent supply of fresh fruit for the children.
Attached Files
Old May 8th 2014, 9:55 am
Banned

jessipink is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad that the world still have people like you. Let's all change the world for the better by doing the smallest things we can!
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

The complete overhaul of the water supply system is underway with early site work being done by my friend Randy and other volunteers. The major work of installation of numerous new water cisterns, cleansing rooftop water tanks and conversion of the well pump to solar power will begin later this year funded by Rotary International. This was always a dream and Randy took the reigns and is the man responsible for designing the system and preparing the proposal for Rotary and now it will be a reality. I cannot smile enough about this.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A few links with interviews I did with some of the kids for the documentary, which sadly has not found its way to completion yet. Hopefully soon. It is all in Spanish, unfortunately, including my poor Spanish. Working on getting subtitles done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrl5...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7PT...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjCk...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tScu...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by dakota44; Mar 30th 2015 at 11:34 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 6:04 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been by for a while - how are the children and how is the orphanage doing on supplies and repairs?
Old Jul 8th 2015, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b View Post
I haven't been by for a while - how are the children and how is the orphanage doing on supplies and repairs?
There are some updates on the sonrisas website and also Facebook.

Scott continues to do amazing work!

Thanks George for letting us know about the orphanage and keeping us up to date when you can.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Trixie_b View Post
Unfortunately I have returned to Canada for an extended period due to serious issues with one of my daughters and the need to get her life and health back on track. As a result I am sadly absent from the orphanage but remain in contact with others there carrying on our work. As Ozziedoc indicated Scott is in more of a position at the moment to post more current updates to the Sonrisasenperu
website. I am pleased that your interest continues. I am heartbroken at not being there, but sometimes actual family has to come first.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 7:20 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
Unfortunately I have returned to Canada for an extended period due to serious issues with one of my daughters and the need to get her life and health back on track. As a result I am sadly absent from the orphanage but remain in contact with others there carrying on our work. As Ozziedoc indicated Scott is in more of a position at the moment to post more current updates to the Sonrisasenperu
website. I am pleased that your interest continues. I am heartbroken at not being there, but sometimes actual family has to come first.
Thinking of you and yours.

Well wishes being sent over the miles