Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Orphanage....

Orphanage....

Old Nov 5th 2011, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orphanage....

Eva 15, her twin sister Maria 15, Waldir 6
Attached Thumbnails Orphanage....-p1010010.jpg   Orphanage....-p1010014.jpg   Orphanage....-p1010012.jpg  
Old Nov 5th 2011, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Fiorella 12, Arianna 7 (what a character lol), Estrella 15, Victor Antonio 8, Roxana Pilar 17
Attached Thumbnails Orphanage....-p1010013.jpg   Orphanage....-p1010017.jpg   Orphanage....-p1010018.jpg   Orphanage....-p1010019.jpg   Orphanage....-p1010020.jpg  

Old Nov 5th 2011, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jahir 4, Giovanna 17, Emerson 10 (he's a real comic), Yennifer 17, Edu 9
Attached Thumbnails Orphanage....-p1010023.jpg   Orphanage....-p1010024.jpg   Orphanage....-p1010025.jpg   Orphanage....-p1010026.jpg   Orphanage....-p1010027.jpg  

Old Nov 5th 2011, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
You know, in one way it singles out certain children for special treatment over the others. They might agree to it, but there is a real community spirit among the kids and I think the preference is for communal help. Even I hesitate to do extra for a few of my favorites (there are a few who remind me so much of my daughters that I adore them) because it could cause the others to feel left out. If there were sufficient people to do so for all the children, that is something different. That is just my opinion, but I'm going tomorrow with some fruit and I will ask about it. I would love to see all the kids have someone who would individually sponsor them in some manner.
I understand and after thinking about it, the "community" spirit is so healthy for everyone. What do they do at xmas?
Old Nov 5th 2011, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by willmore View Post
I understand and after thinking about it, the "community" spirit is so healthy for everyone. What do they do at xmas?
We are working on a Christmas party for them. There will be one on Dec 17 that will be a project of one of my students and his coworker and her Masters class members. Then we have started a program for people to buy one gift for one child. The institute where I teach is participating with a promotion for the employees to participate and I have gotten some of my students past and present involved. Our intention is to go on Christmas Eve with carloads of presents and some food and have a big party. I am so hyped for it.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Google Earth view of the orphanage. A farmers field is inthe lower right corner, but all the buildings are the orphanage: residence buildings, main building, kitchen, classrooms, Cuy containment, medical center etc.
Attached Thumbnails Orphanage....-westfalia-photo.jpg  
Old Nov 6th 2011, 1:33 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

They all look so healthy and well looked after D. Looking at their photos I want to bring them all home with me.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
Looking at their photos I want to bring them all home with me.
I have to fight that urge every time I go there. And we want to keep them healthy and well looked after.

Last edited by dakota44; Nov 6th 2011 at 1:59 am.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Chipin donation server seems to be down for some reason. This is our other donation site. http://pledgie.com/campaigns/16232
Old Nov 6th 2011, 1:33 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I have to fight that urge every time I go there. And we want to keep them healthy and well looked after.
Are the children up for adoption then? Do they want to live at the orphanage or are they hoping for families to take them? (I know that sounded like a really stupid question)
Old Nov 6th 2011, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Are the children up for adoption then? Do they want to live at the orphanage or are they hoping for families to take them? (I know that sounded like a really stupid question)
I was going to ask the same thing about adoption.

I normally don't donate to these types of places, as usually I'm skeptical of how much of the money really goes to the children in need. But it sounds like that isn't the case here. Its really great how involved you are with them Dakota. Despite what they have gone through in their short lives, it looks like they are achieving remarkable things.

I tried to make a donation on that last link using Pledgie, but it failed for some reason. I will try again tomorrow.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think every one of them would like to have a family, at least one that cares. Many of them were simply abandoned or given up because they could not afford to keep them. Some were victims of abuse. In most cases, what family there is pays no attention to them. The twins, Eva and maria, two of the sweetest, shyest, prettiest girls you could ever meet, have a mother that lives in the town where the orphanage is, and in the 8 years they have been there she has never visited them. Not once. Although we do not ask for personal information nor is it offered, we have gained a clue from some conversations that they might have been sexually abused.

The problem is that the government will not permit adoption unless all relevant family members sign papers of abandonment. That often does not happen and the government is quite slow moving in that respect. They have an adoption program, but they choose what child you can adopt. It is all very bureaucratic and confusing.

For foreigners to adopt the process is almost horrific. Americans need to go through an agency in the U.S. that is approved by Peru: tote up about $30k in total for agency fees, Government fees, travel, required training sessions, visits by social workers. They must provide all financial information including credit report, photos of the inside and outside of their home, references, a psych evaluation, then if approved the government chooses a child, the potential parents then need to travel to Peru where they will remain for from 3 to 4 weeks during which time the child will be temporally placed with them and monitored by a government social worker who will pass final approval as to whether they all bond properly.

It certainly is an effort to be sure that the child is well placed ant that there is a minimal potential for problems. But sure a lot of hoops to go through.

Last edited by dakota44; Nov 6th 2011 at 2:02 am.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass View Post
I was going to ask the same thing about adoption.

I normally don't donate to these types of places, as usually I'm skeptical of how much of the money really goes to the children in need. But it sounds like that isn't the case here. Its really great how involved you are with them Dakota. Despite what they have gone through in their short lives, it looks like they are achieving remarkable things.

I tried to make a donation on that last link using Pledgie, but it failed for some reason. I will try again tomorrow.
I appreciate it. Every dime that we collect goes directly to benefit the kids, plus we contribute our own money as well. I'm with you on some organizations that have administration costs and other things that eat up most of the money. I tend to avoid them too.

Last edited by dakota44; Nov 6th 2011 at 1:59 am.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate it. Every dime that we collect goes directly to benefit the kids, plus we contribute our own money as well. I'm with you on some organizations that have administration costs and other things that eat up most of the money. I tend to avoid them too.
I've been sponsoring two kids for the last 6 years - one in Vietnam the other in Indonesia and it's rewarding in itself to know what we do makes a difference. So, on condition you promise to dial down the Oliver Twist sentimentality I'll promise to weigh-in with a contribution. Deal?
Old Nov 6th 2011, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Macca67 View Post
I've been sponsoring two kids for the last 6 years - one in Vietnam the other in Indonesia and it's rewarding in itself to know what we do makes a difference. So, on condition you promise to dial down the Oliver Twist sentimentality I'll promise to weigh-in with a contribution. Deal?
You old softie you......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.