Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

The Old Codgers' thread

The Old Codgers' thread

Old Oct 2nd 2015, 2:31 am
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Old Codgers' thread

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
One of the minor irritations of modern life, for me, is the wearing of hygienic gloves. Are there that many more germs today than there used to be fifty or sixty years ago? Must be!

When I was working in the city, as a young man, staff in lunchtime sandwich shops prepared and cut sandwiches with their bare hands. Only rarely did one of them slice his finger, and it wasn't a big deal. Toss the bloody sandwich in the bin, wrap a hanky round the damaged finger, add a splash of Dettol, and carry on.

Gloves make for slow service, don't they? The Deli girl in my local supermarket here in Cayman has to put on cellophane gloves to cut a half-pound chunk of cheese off one of those logs. Elsewhere in the store, the servers of bread and meat and fish all use celllophane gloves.

The TSA clowns at airports all wear rubber gloves to check our inside leg-measurements and poke around in our underwear. Each pair of gloves is worn for hours on end - time enough to accumulate zillions of germs from hundreds of victims, not all of whom are wearing fresh underwear, for goodness sake! All in the name of hygiene.

Readers old enough to remember the Good Old Days of mass exposure to unmolested germs: back me up here, would you?
Yeah, people were a lot more cavalier about hygiene before we learned about the likes of hepatitis and e-coli among a number of other potentially fatal diseases, and before AIDS was discovered (though it now appears to have been around since the 1930's).

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 2nd 2015 at 2:33 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 6:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
Gloves make for slow service, don't they?

Readers old enough to remember the Good Old Days of mass exposure to unmolested germs: back me up here, would you?
No and no.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 7:17 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
No and no.
When I was a kid people used to have parties for local kids when one had developed measles, mumps or chicken pox, to give them a chance to get it and develop immunity.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
When I was a kid people used to have parties for local kids when one had developed measles, mumps or chicken pox, to give them a chance to get it and develop immunity.

There's a difference between virus's and bacteria. People wear gloves to serve food in order to prevent the spread of bacteria from their hands to your insides.I won't be too graphic ,but lets say someone (male or female) goes to the loo and isn't too particular how they clean themselves and fails to wash their hands afterwards. ummm yummy sandwich anyone?

I do agree however that too much use of anti-bacterial washes and over zealous cleaning of houses works against us. Along with the fact that babies need to be born to gain immunity through the birth canal( whenever possible,)they need to get their little hands dirty as early as possible to boost their immunity.I did a lot of digging on my fathers allotment,he was never sick and I only got the usual virus's..
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 10:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
My nephew had Chicken Pox when my eldest was two. My SiL rang me and I shot round there so he could cuddle his cousin. Two years later a boy she was childminding got it so I rushed round with my youngest.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 12:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
There's a difference between virus's and bacteria. People wear gloves to serve food in order to prevent the spread of bacteria from their hands to your insides.I won't be too graphic ,but lets say someone (male or female) goes to the loo and isn't too particular how they clean themselves and fails to wash their hands afterwards. ummm yummy sandwich anyone?

I do agree however that too much use of anti-bacterial washes and over zealous cleaning of houses works against us. Along with the fact that babies need to be born to gain immunity through the birth canal( whenever possible,)they need to get their little hands dirty as early as possible to boost their immunity.I did a lot of digging on my fathers allotment,he was never sick and I only got the usual virus's..
Viruses.

The apostrophe does not indicate a plural, it indicates a contraction or a possessive. Please.

Yeah, I know, nazi, etc etc. But really.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 5:32 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Viruses.

The apostrophe does not indicate a plural, it indicates a contraction or a possessive. Please.
... saw a lady on T.V. She was born without arms. Literally, she was born with her hands attached to her shoulders... and that was sad, but then they said, "Lola does not know the meaning of the word 'can't.'" And that to me was kinda worse... in a way... ya know? Not only does she not have arms, but she doesn't understand simple contractions.

/Mitch Hedberg
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Viruses.

Yeah, I know, nazi, etc etc. But really.
OH FFS Lion...Get a life! spelling mishaps happen to people with Dyslexia . I think I mentioned it once before duh! I do my best
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 11:57 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

OH FFS Lion...Get a life! spelling mishaps happen to people with Dyslexia . I think I mentioned it once before duh! I do my best
Well here you go then.

Making Dyslexia Work for You - Punctuation
Old Oct 4th 2015, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Your sooooooooooo droll Bet you like helping the blind as well
Old Oct 4th 2015, 11:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Your sooooooooooo droll Bet you like helping the blind as well
Old Oct 4th 2015, 9:57 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Help the dyslexic early enough and the rules may stick in some form. No good for Mr BEVs though as that little lot is written, so by the time he had read it the context and meanings would be virtually lost. I would need to read that with him whilst heavily enunciating as I read. Then devise a method to help it stick using pictorial and colour aids and the like. Even then he might not grasp the whys and wherefores & really , for him, it is better that he feels some confidence in his writing.

You would have to hear him read and see him write ( non-cursive) to understand why . He does use punctuation but in a very dyslexic way.

Quite tempted to share so folk can see how it is for someone like Mr BEVS but it wouldn't be right without his permission.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Help the dyslexic early enough and the rules may stick in some form. No good for Mr BEVs though as that little lot is written, so by the time he had read it the context and meanings would be virtually lost. I would need to read that with him whilst heavily enunciating as I read. Then devise a method to help it stick using pictorial and colour aids and the like. Even then he might not grasp the whys and wherefores & really , for him, it is better that he feels some confidence in his writing.

You would have to hear him read and see him write ( non-cursive) to understand why . He does use punctuation but in a very dyslexic way.

Quite tempted to share so folk can see how it is for someone like Mr BEVS but it wouldn't be right without his permission.
Indeed. I have a friend with dyslexia. Letters just move around on him and stop making sense. He doesn't see them the way I do.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post

why confused? Lion was taking the P**s
Old Oct 5th 2015, 1:01 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

An old codger thread must need a logo
Attached Thumbnails The Old Codgers' thread-1443343817257.jpg  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.