Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

The Old Codgers' thread

The Old Codgers' thread

Old Jun 16th 2015, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Old Codgers' thread

On the "Pissed off" thread I grumbled about the abolition of penny-coins in Ireland, fully aware that it's a typical old codgers' complaint. "When I were a lad..." and "Back in my day..." and "I can remember when...", and similar. One disrespectful young snapper even called me a coffin-dodger.

Sigh. Well, when you're old, you're old. We shouldn't have to go through the rest of our lives apologising for being old; so It may be a useful thing for us to have our own BE thread. In the "Take it Outside" section, of course - right next to the "What has pissed you off lately" thread, if possible, because when you're old, damn near everything pisses us off.

"Coffin dodger"??? Why - as my grandma used to say when I were a lad... Oh, never mind.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 6:14 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Old Codgers' thread

We used to get 16 Black Jacks (or Fruit Salad) for a Penny.

Then it was only 8, but we could still get 16 Mojos, so that was ok.

Nothing like that these days.

/grumble
Old Jun 16th 2015, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

2 1/2 ozs of pineapple chunks or pear drops cost 3d and had to last the week but that was ok because they ripped your tongue to shreds.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 7:56 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica View Post
2 1/2 ozs of pineapple chunks or pear drops cost 3d and had to last the week but that was ok because they ripped your tongue to shreds.
Haha. Yes, they sure did.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

A 'Gobstopper' for a farthing in my childhood - four for a penny for those that don't know what a 'farthing' was
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

It's nice that somebody will get value out of this thread. There's great therapeutic benefit in reminiscing about one's childhood - so different from most younger people's childhoods - and about some of the half-forgotten highlights of a long life. Who better to appreciate those recollections than other old codgers? Let's face it: our children (and, in my case, grandchildren) aren't all that bothered.

I commit some of the memories to writing and post the writings on my blog, against the day when the grandkids feel like assuaging their consciences when I'm gone. They'll probably marvel at how boring I became, despite an (occasionally) interesting life. Well, that's to be expected, I suppose.

Nitek and Pica - do you have the same problems finding eager listeners to your tales of Black Jacks and pear drops? Hell, I'm interested in them even without knowing what Black Jacks and pear drops are. I'm not sure we had them in the part of Australia I was brought up in. "Pear drops" ring a faint bell, but not the other.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:14 pm
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica View Post
Oooh loved pineapple chunks.......those and cola cubes
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
It's nice that somebody will get value out of this thread. There's great therapeutic benefit in reminiscing about one's childhood - so different from most younger people's childhoods - and about some of the half-forgotten highlights of a long life. Who better to appreciate those recollections than other old codgers? Let's face it: our children (and, in my case, grandchildren) aren't all that bothered.

I commit some of the memories to writing and post the writings on my blog, against the day when the grandkids feel like assuaging their consciences when I'm gone. They'll probably marvel at how boring I became, despite an (occasionally) interesting life. Well, that's to be expected, I suppose.

Nitek and Pica - do you have the same problems finding eager listeners to your tales of Black Jacks and pear drops? Hell, I'm interested in them even without knowing what Black Jacks and pear drops are. I'm not sure we had them in the part of Australia I was brought up in. "Pear drops" ring a faint bell, but not the other.
I enjoy thinking back to the old days. A better time in many (though not all) ways. In my opinion of course.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Oooh loved pineapple chunks.......those and cola cubes
The bag used to stick to 'em.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

back in the early 50's in primary school it wasn't uncommon for the teacher to fling a blackboard duster or a piece of chalk at a pupil if they weren't paying attention or talking.

Then of course, if you were a talker like me, it was the usual 'from a selection of three canes' [pick one boy] to get three or five strokes of the cane on the backside.

My wife taught by nuns, it was the ruler across the knuckles

The good old days
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Being from the North West, it has only memories of cold, damp, smog & what was seemingly rain. Never ever got dry, even after emigrating, opening my suitcase for the first time, the clothes stayed damp for almost a week
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
One disrespectful young snapper even called me a coffin-dodger.

Sigh. Well, when you're old, you're old. We shouldn't have to go through the rest of our lives apologising for being old; so It may be a useful thing for us to have our own BE thread. In the "Take it Outside" section, of course - right next to the "What has pissed you off lately" thread, if possible, because when you're old, damn near everything pisses us off.

"Coffin dodger"??? Why - as my grandma used to say when I were a lad... Oh, never mind.
How old are you Gordon?
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by not2old View Post
back in the early 50's in primary school it wasn't uncommon for the teacher to fling a blackboard duster or a piece of chalk at a pupil if they weren't paying attention or talking.

Then of course, if you were a talker like me, it was the usual 'from a selection of three canes' [pick one boy] to get three or five strokes of the cane on the backside.

My wife taught by nuns, it was the ruler across the knuckles

The good old days
Our English teacher, Mr. Hutchinson, was a killer aim with one of those wooden/felt(?) blackboard erasers. He could peg anyone in the room in the back of the head with one of those. BIG puff of chalk dust followed by pain.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

back to childhood sweets...

Late 50's at Southport train station I was treated to a 'frozen Orange Jubbly' from a dispensing machine 3d I think. Anyone else remember those?

Best memories from primary school was that all the kids could do sums/arithmetic of addition, subtract, divide & multiply in pounds, shillings, pence & farthing

Last edited by not2old; Jun 16th 2015 at 8:53 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by not2old View Post
back to childhood sweets...

Late 50's at Southport train station I was treated to a 'frozen Orange Jubbly' from a dispensing machine 3d I think. Anyone else remember those?

Best memories from primary school was that all the kids could do sums/arithmetic of addion, subtract, divide & multiply pounds, shillings, pence & farthing
I remember using shillings / Pennies / Sixpence (tanners) etc, but I cant remember ever having a farthing. Maybe I just missed that.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.