Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Off Topic posts moved from Mental Health II thread

Off Topic posts moved from Mental Health II thread

Old Nov 30th 2021, 12:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic posts moved from Mental Health II thread

What happened to JSmith? Did he close his own account?

If you are still observing, I hope you get the help that you need, or can at least get yourself into a situation you can deal with more easily. I can't even send you a PM or anything but if you are still reading and need to talk or whatever, click on my profile name and it should have a link where you can send me an email. I know you have left and come back before but you never closed your account then, which is concerning.

Mental health is no laughing matter, I'm glad this thread is here nonetheless.
Old Nov 30th 2021, 12:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic posts moved from MH thread

J? We'd like to hear from you please.

Old Nov 30th 2021, 7:48 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
What happened to JSmith? Did he close his own account?

If you are still observing, I hope you get the help that you need, or can at least get yourself into a situation you can deal with more easily. I can't even send you a PM or anything but if you are still reading and need to talk or whatever, click on my profile name and it should have a link where you can send me an email. I know you have left and come back before but you never closed your account then, which is concerning.

Mental health is no laughing matter, I'm glad this thread is here nonetheless.
It's not possible to close your own account on BE...

He will be missed by many.
Old Nov 30th 2021, 8:10 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
It's not possible to close your own account on BE...

He will be missed by many.
Good point, and yes he will be missed.

This is an important thread though, and a very sensitive topic so I hope we can keep the conversation going.
Old Nov 30th 2021, 8:15 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I, for one, would like to see JSmith back. Whatever happened, plenty of blood has been spilled on the BE carpet before now and successfully cleaned up. Way back in the dark ages, BE was a bit of a lifeline for me for assorted reasons, and I would hate to see that lost for others. JSmith is funny and clever, and not just someone who has mental health to struggle with. BE needs funny and clever.

I'm fairly sure, in a non-scientific sort of way, that mental health and physical health are not divided by the sharp line that we sometimes pretend they are. And agree that it's important that we can just keep talking about these things, for all our sakes.
Old Nov 30th 2021, 8:23 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I, for one, would like to see JSmith back. Whatever happened, plenty of blood has been spilled on the BE carpet before now and successfully cleaned up. Way back in the dark ages, BE was a bit of a lifeline for me for assorted reasons, and I would hate to see that lost for others. JSmith is funny and clever, and not just someone who has mental health to struggle with. BE needs funny and clever.
Agree 100%. This forum has helped me over the years many times, and though I've needed a break from time to time recently, posters like JSmith were why I always ended up coming back.

I'm fairly sure, in a non-scientific sort of way, that mental health and physical health are not divided by the sharp line that we sometimes pretend they are. And agree that it's important that we can just keep talking about these things, for all our sakes.
Health is health. There isn't really a need for a division between mental and physical because the brain is the master controller and a brain that is functioning differently, for whatever reason, will have knock-on effects.

I watched a video the other night, which I stumbled upon completely by accident while watching clips of old BR diesel locos of all things, that addresses the need to have these conversations, and he points out a current 'kindness' towards these issues due to current events (albeit from last year's perspective) but here it is for anyone who wants to watch it.

Old Nov 30th 2021, 8:41 pm

Agree 100%. This forum has helped me over the years many times, and though I've needed a break from time to time recently, posters like JSmith were why I always ended up coming back.

Health is health. There isn't really a need for a division between mental and physical because the brain is the master controller and a brain that is functioning differently, for whatever reason, will have knock-on effects.

I watched a video the other night, which I stumbled upon completely by accident while watching clips of old BR diesel locos of all things, that addresses the need to have these conversations, and he points out a current 'kindness' towards these issues due to current events (albeit from last year's perspective) but here it is for anyone who wants to watch it.

That's a really nice video - in large part because he just such a regular bloke sort of guy, talking in a very real way and making it all seem so normal.

What I have found is that my appetite/tolerance for the knock down drag out of TIO on BE has become less and less. I find myself hankering after the old BE, when it was mostly just people getting together for a laugh. Brexit and Trump drained me for sure, as did some of the people who have now, thankfully, moved along, but I would really rather swap Father Ted quotes a lot of the time.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Nov 30th 2021 at 8:44 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2021, 8:52 pm
I have a comma problem

That's a really nice video - in large part because he just such a regular bloke sort of guy, talking in a very real way and making it all seem so normal.
That's what I thought too. I was watching a video he'd posted a few years ago of a Class 37 but he'd updated the description to include a part about mental health, and linked this video, so I decided to have a watch since it's been on my mind a bit, and I was glad I did.

What I have found is that my appetite/tolerance for the knock down drag out of TIO on BE has become less and less. I find myself hankering after the old BE, when it was mostly just people getting together for a laugh. Brexit and Trump drained me for sure, as did some of the people who have now, thankfully, moved along, but I would really rather swap Father Ted quotes a lot of the time.
Yeah, the silliness is lacking sometimes. Though I've changed a lot as a person (mostly for the good, imo) from who I was when posting back in the days of Uncle Ebenezer, to pick a time period as an example.

A lot of the 'serious' topics I have to pick and choose now because it's hard to stop myself getting involved so strongly because I care about certain things a lot more now and I'm also not as willing to watch my mouth on certain subjects.

But I suppose my post history shows the slow, and steady path of my radicalization into becoming a godless commie so there's that ...
Old Nov 30th 2021, 11:30 pm

That's what I thought too. I was watching a video he'd posted a few years ago of a Class 37 but he'd updated the description to include a part about mental health, and linked this video, so I decided to have a watch since it's been on my mind a bit, and I was glad I did.

Yeah, the silliness is lacking sometimes. Though I've changed a lot as a person (mostly for the good, imo) from who I was when posting back in the days of Uncle Ebenezer, to pick a time period as an example.

A lot of the 'serious' topics I have to pick and choose now because it's hard to stop myself getting involved so strongly because I care about certain things a lot more now and I'm also not as willing to watch my mouth on certain subjects.

But I suppose my post history shows the slow, and steady path of my radicalization into becoming a godless commie so there's that ...
Uncle Eb - I remember when he was still BritnTex . Well, things move on.

Main thing here - don't get electrocuted by your guitar.
Old Nov 30th 2021, 11:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ah BritnTex. I do miss him, along with many others that used to post then. The forums were so funny back in the day.
Old Nov 30th 2021, 11:41 pm
I have a comma problem

I only joined in 2009, and wasn't a regular poster for another year after that so I think he had already changed it by that point. It was his signature for a while though, I remember that.

Yeah, that was bit of an unexpected twist. I've been shocked my mics before in places with dodgy electrics but nothing like that
Old Nov 30th 2021, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Ah BritnTex. I do miss him, along with many others that used to post then. The forums were so funny back in the day.
Manc, Walla, Angry White Pajamas, and of course Ray.
Old Nov 30th 2021, 11:49 pm

I only joined in 2009, and wasn't a regular poster for another year after that so I think he had already changed it by that point. It was his signature for a while though, I remember that.

Yeah, that was bit of an unexpected twist. I've been shocked my mics before in places with dodgy electrics but nothing like that

I'm going to check out those walks that guy said he'd been doing. Must be up on YouTube, too
Old Nov 30th 2021, 11:50 pm
I have a comma problem

I remember at least two of them
Old Nov 30th 2021, 11:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ray the Granddaddy of BE. He wasn’t a mod or admin but boy did he rule BE.

Yup miss Walla, AWP, Rushy, Thyd, and many more. Oh…and the old Leslie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.