Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Not an expat but need advice

Not an expat but need advice

Old Jul 19th 2002, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

lilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Not an expat but need advice

Basically my position is that I've been to Australia on a WHMV and I fell in love with the place (who couldn't!).

I've been working in IT for about 18mths but have now decided that as well as finding this totally boring the whole IT market, especially in Australia, seems to be in a real slump. So, although I have already got a degree I have now made up my mind to go back to study and this time I'm going to stick with what I wanted to do in school, which is nursing. It appears that nursing is a profession in demand in Australia and I figure that if I do my nursing qualification out there then I'll have a pretty good chance of remaining there.

Of course, this is going to involve a large sum of money, as the course I'm looking at is 2 years. However, I will have enough for the first year (it's in Adelaide by the way) but would struggle to fund myself for a further year. My dilema is whether to risk it and hope that I find work or some way of supporting myself, or to give up on my dream and stay here in the UK for at least the next 4yrs. I'm very tempted to just take the risk because if I don't I'll always wonder how things might have turned out.

Anyway, my questions to everyone are:

1. Do you think I'm totally mad???

2. Does anyone know whether after doing a certain amount of the course you can obtain work as a nursing assistant?

3. Most importantly, does anyone have any advice on the money situation - are there any Australian banks that offer loans to overseas students or UK banks that offer loans to people wishing to study abroad???

Cheers for any advice/info etc

Lisa
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 9:47 am
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point

Lisa,

You might want to post this message on the "Migration to Australia & New Zealand" board, I'm not sure how many of the 'experts' will read your message here. The info for that board says "All about visas and immigration to Australia and New Zealand.", so I think you fit the bill there.

Also, just bear in mind that what might be in demand now, might not be in a couple of years. Having said that, there will always be a need for nurses, just not sure if they'll still be fast-tracking.