Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

New Year's Irresolutions.

New Year's Irresolutions.

Old Jan 2nd 2022, 10:01 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Year's Irresolutions.

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
You're not one of these are you?

Nope

Tbh, we're a bit gobsmacked by some of what they're planning, seems well OTT, especially when we think back to our wedding, which was 6 adults and 6 children. And one of those adults acted as photographer.

I know that she considers me as one of her parents, but I'm not her biological father, so I'm not picking up the tab.

Her biological father is on the guest list, and he's bricking it, which OH finds amusing, I keep having to ask her to tone it down a bit.

I don't really give a rodent's; he and I get along fairly well - considering that he's a bit of a dickhead - I'm sure it'll be ok by the end of the brunch the day after.

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Jan 2nd 2022 at 10:05 pm. Reason: Fixed typo.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 10:44 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Bulk rate?

Discount if you submit your email?
More a case of do it once and that is it, unlike renewing the green card every ten years. Also it will open up more employment opportunities for the boys (young men).
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 11:08 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq View Post
More a case of do it once and that is it, unlike renewing the green card every ten years. Also it will open up more employment opportunities for the boys (young men).

Yes, that's definitely true.
Old Jan 3rd 2022, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

The whole new year thing is pretty arbitrary, imo, just a random date on one of several types of calendar, but since we live under it what do people see coming up for them in 2022? Doesn't have to be the stereotypical goal-setting stuff, unless you want it to be of course.

Me:

1. Getting us moved from the US to the UK after a very long time here, and starting on another adventure.

2. Bringing about the downfall of the UK government
Nice goals, I'm supportive of both.

Me;
1. Quit smoking
2. Get back down to 100kg or below (this morning, post-shit was 108.5). Then reassess.
3. Get back to healthier activity levels - 4 days a week, minimum 30mins to start with, then reassess.
4. Save X,000 GBP - not decided on the number yet, even if I do I won't share on here for you liberal fairies to tell me to donate it all to some charity for gender-fluid coyotes displaced in Mongolia (joke, already support that charity).
5. Get ****ing married.
6. Get a pay rise.
7. Read 10 books - fiction/non-fiction, starting with the smoking one, then a money one, then a Clarkson one, just because I know how to read this room.
8. Be more positive. I know, it's the worst one on here and the least measurable, but I'm going to work on being more positive - not reacting negatively but seeking positive in situations.
9. Return to therapy - multiple reasons, but the last few months of what's happened and a bit of the above mean it's something I think I'll benefit from again.

Some easy wins in there, some harder, some long term, some short.
Old Jan 3rd 2022, 8:20 am
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

We can compare notes on the no 1.
I've been cutting down for a few weeks now and now should find a way to cut it out !
Someone suggested the electronic cigarettes so I had a look at those and, my god, what a choice ... And I don't have any clue what to do.
Next up : doctors appointment (First time with this doctor) Thursday where I hope to be able to bring this up and see what he says.
Bonne Chance !
Old Jan 3rd 2022, 8:54 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
I've been cutting down for a few weeks now and now should find a way to cut it out !
Someone suggested the electronic cigarettes so I had a look at those and, my god, what a choice ... And I don't have any clue what to do.
Next up : doctors appointment (First time with this doctor) Thursday where I hope to be able to bring this up and see what he says.
Bonne Chance !
I tried a few things but tablets were the only thing that worked. Went from 30 or 40 a day to 0 a week later, and that was 12 years ago (or more - lost track )
Old Jan 3rd 2022, 9:09 am
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
I tried a few things but tablets were the only thing that worked. Went from 30 or 40 a day to 0 a week later, and that was 12 years ago (or more - lost track )
Tablets ... ? That's a new one to me.
Any idea what's in it ?
Will they be on prescription or over the counter ?
And how many/how long did you have to take these ?
(Sorry if I get a bit personal ... Just tell me off and I will go But I am reaching desperation here ...)
Old Jan 3rd 2022, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Bonne Chance !
I've always enjoyed a smoke, recently being the only time that I've thought - yeah, might have had enough of this.

Got the Carr book that lots recommend, will try that and then hypnosis if needed. Will try lots of things other than just willpower alone. I'm stubborn but I'm not that stubborn.

Champix? Those little tabs make you properly loopy at night, right? Mad dreams and whatnot?
Old Jan 3rd 2022, 10:30 am
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Any idea what's in it ?
(Sorry if I get a bit personal ... Just tell me off and I will go But I am reaching desperation here ...)
I'm still vape/e-cig, still got that nicotine need, but bring the level of nicotine down every few months. Long haul, but getting there.

Never tried tablets, patches itch and the spray gave me hiccups ...
Old Jan 3rd 2022, 2:14 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot. 2022 is when my son graduates as a Civil Engineer in the UK.

Blimey
Old Jan 3rd 2022, 4:02 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Bonne Chance !
Are you going to consider Nicorette Inhalers? Not electronic.. just a plastic tube to suck on - and capsules of nicotine you insert. - no doctors appointment needed (in the UK you used to be able to get them on prescription, probably not in France). I went from 50+ a day to 0 from day 1 of using them and haven't had a cigarette in almost 4 years.
Old Jan 4th 2022, 7:20 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Any idea what's in it ?
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Champix? Those little tabs make you properly loopy at night, right? Mad dreams and whatnot?
Scamp might be right - but it could also have been zyban. (I did try both - one worked and the other didn't).

All I remember was it was one tablet a day to start for first week, then two a day after that. You were supposed to wait until you got to the second week before stopping, but by about day 5 I just didn't want to smoke.

Think you stayed at the 2 tablets a day for 3 months then reduce down if all good. They were on prescription and I think you also had to have regular appointments for stop smoking and side effects, but I don't recall getting any.

I'd previously tried inhalers, patches, gum, hypnotism and one of the tablets - oh and general will power.
Longest I'd previously given up for was about 6 months or so.
Old Jan 4th 2022, 7:22 am

Forgot. 2022 is when my son graduates as a Civil Engineer in the UK.

Blimey
That's flown by (or so it seems from here )
Old Jan 4th 2022, 9:21 am
Preparing to move again

Scamp might be right - but it could also have been zyban. (I did try both - one worked and the other didn't).

All I remember was it was one tablet a day to start for first week, then two a day after that. You were supposed to wait until you got to the second week before stopping, but by about day 5 I just didn't want to smoke.

Think you stayed at the 2 tablets a day for 3 months then reduce down if all good. They were on prescription and I think you also had to have regular appointments for stop smoking and side effects, but I don't recall getting any.

I'd previously tried inhalers, patches, gum, hypnotism and one of the tablets - oh and general will power.
Longest I'd previously given up for was about 6 months or so.
Thanks for your info. I had never heard of that. I will discuss it with my doctor on Thursday and see what he thinks.

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
Are you going to consider Nicorette Inhalers? Not electronic.. just a plastic tube to suck on - and capsules of nicotine you insert. - no doctors appointment needed (in the UK you used to be able to get them on prescription, probably not in France). I went from 50+ a day to 0 from day 1 of using them and haven't had a cigarette in almost 4 years.
I just notice Siouxie is banned ???
Surely that is a mistake ???
This is a most helpful person who never fails to give good advise !
Please reconsider or BE has lost a bit of human touch !?!

Siouxie Thank you for your advise, another very helpful one !
It is another thing I didn't know existed and will discuss with my doctor.
Hope to see you back soon !
Old Jan 4th 2022, 11:59 am

Thanks for your info. I had never heard of that. I will discuss it with my doctor on Thursday and see what he thinks.

I just notice Siouxie is banned ???
Surely that is a mistake ???
This is a most helpful person who never fails to give good advise !
Please reconsider or BE has lost a bit of human touch !?!

Siouxie Thank you for your advise, another very helpful one !
It is another thing I didn't know existed and will discuss with my doctor.
Hope to see you back soon !
Is it possible she's just having a rest and they put the wrong label up? I don't see any sign of any ruckus on here that involves her.

Good luck with the smoking. OH gave it up years ago now. It was a bear, but he did manage. More power to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.