Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

New Year's Irresolutions.

New Year's Irresolutions.

Old Jan 2nd 2022, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Year's Irresolutions.

I plan to do an Italian quick crossword every time I think of reading some UK political news.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 6:38 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark View Post
I had an endoscopy (think that is the same thing) with just a local spray in the back of the throat, in the UK. It was part of a list shortening attempt by the NHS, they introduced evening appointments but only if you were happy to not be sedated.
Quite possibly the most unpleasant thing that I've experienced at the hands of medical staff, give me the steroid injection down beside the eyeball any day of the week over doing that again!

Fair play to you for putting up with that torture twice, never again without sedation.
Agree, it's no fun at all. First time I was stressed to the gills and freaking out as it was 24 hours after the ambulance run, and I'd already lost a lot of blood (bleeding ulcers), I did ask for sedation, was told "we don't do that here".

Second time around it was still very unpleasant, but I was in a better place in my head, and both the nurse and endoscopist (I just made that word up) were a million times better than the first.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 6:54 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Oooh, oooh, forgot one.

c) Dropping the "potential" when referring to my potential future son-in-law

Game on, this one's going to be great, they're currently living in Geneva, he's German, and the wedding will be here in our commune in Belgium.

Annetje will know where, if she's reading this.

As projects go this is massive. I've block booked one hotel's entire rooms for two nights (and their entire restaurant facility the day after for brunch), I have an option on a further 20 rooms in another place 100 metres distant. The food is excellent in both of these.

We've reserved the old town hall for the ceremony, it's woefully small, so we're having the whole thing live streamed back to the party venue where the majority of the guests will watch on big screens, also with internet feeds for family in Florida and elsewhere unable to attend in person.

We've got one of Belgium's top DJ's for the evening party, and a couple of mini-busses to ferry people around as they need during the afternoon and evening.

Catering still being worked on, photographer is in the net, flowers and hairdressers sorted, probably loads of other stuff too.

Around 160 guests invited, not sure what the take-up is, not my problem

Congrats, sounds like a good party. How much time will you be spending at the hairdresser?
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 6:54 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98 View Post
I plan to do an Italian quick crossword every time I think of reading some UK political news.

You may need a cryptic.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 7:19 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Congrats, sounds like a good party. How much time will you be spending at the hairdresser?
Ha ha! As long as it takes, I'm the bride's driver for the day until we get to the reception venue, so I get hairdresser, photo-shoot, ceremony, reception, basically anywhere she wants to go.

As for myself, OH will do me a "Sultan" the night before.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 7:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

The whole new year thing is pretty arbitrary, imo, just a random date on one of several types of calendar, but since we live under it what do people see coming up for them in 2022? Doesn't have to be the stereotypical goal-setting stuff, unless you want it to be of course.

Me:

1. Getting us moved from the US to the UK after a very long time here, and starting on another adventure.

2. Bringing about the downfall of the UK government
The only resolution I ever stuck to was the one I made years ago to never make any more resolutions.

It is, as you say, arbitrary and quite pointless. If you have to wait until January 1st to start doing something, you probably don't really want to do that thing in the first place

Though if I could get far, far, far away from snow I would jump at the chance. Being an account manager isn't fun after the green season ends.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
The only resolution I ever stuck to was the one I made years ago to never make any more resolutions.

It is, as you say, arbitrary and quite pointless. If you have to wait until January 1st to start doing something, you probably don't really want to do that thing in the first place

Though if I could get far, far, far away from snow I would jump at the chance. Being an account manager isn't fun after the green season ends.
Yeah, I think plans are a much better way to go than resolutions. And even then most people start plans on any old day.

Did you get much snow up there? It wasn't that bad here in the end, maybe 4 inches.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 7:55 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I think plans are a much better way to go than resolutions. And even then most people start plans on any old day.

Did you get much snow up there? It wasn't that bad here in the end, maybe 4 inches.
It was only about 4" here as well but it started at 11am and didn't stop until 5am, which means it took longer to clear which means everybody yells at you which means I have to go be the arsehole who shows up at **** off o'clock to tell the guys that they're going to be on site another 12 hours. Meh.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
It was only about 4" here as well but it started at 11am and didn't stop until 5am, which means it took longer to clear which means everybody yells at you which means I have to go be the arsehole who shows up at **** off o'clock to tell the guys that they're going to be on site another 12 hours. Meh.

Yeah, it was snowing hard at 1pm when I took my son to O'Hare. Lots of cancelled flights, and his plane was held on the tarmac for over an hour and a half before he could take off.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 8:04 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Non-trivial cost there.
But at least one off per person
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 8:10 pm
I have a comma problem

Yeah, it was snowing hard at 1pm when I took my son to O'Hare. Lots of cancelled flights, and his plane was held on the tarmac for over an hour and a half before he could take off.
You got lake effect down there so you had heavier snow early. It was coming down pretty good around 1am for us though, the roads were a bloody disgrace.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 8:49 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

My resolution? To stop having any expectations of other people.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 9:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Oooh, oooh, forgot one.

c) Dropping the "potential" when referring to my potential future son-in-law

Game on, this one's going to be great, they're currently living in Geneva, he's German, and the wedding will be here in our commune in Belgium.

Annetje will know where, if she's reading this.

As projects go this is massive. I've block booked one hotel's entire rooms for two nights (and their entire restaurant facility the day after for brunch), I have an option on a further 20 rooms in another place 100 metres distant. The food is excellent in both of these.

We've reserved the old town hall for the ceremony, it's woefully small, so we're having the whole thing live streamed back to the party venue where the majority of the guests will watch on big screens, also with internet feeds for family in Florida and elsewhere unable to attend in person.

We've got one of Belgium's top DJ's for the evening party, and a couple of mini-busses to ferry people around as they need during the afternoon and evening.

Catering still being worked on, photographer is in the net, flowers and hairdressers sorted, probably loads of other stuff too.

Around 160 guests invited, not sure what the take-up is, not my problem
You're not one of these are you?

Old Jan 2nd 2022, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by lizzyq View Post
But at least one off per person

Bulk rate?

Discount if you submit your email?
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 9:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Just looking to see out another year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.