Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

New Land Rover Defender is here.

New Land Rover Defender is here.

Old Sep 15th 2019, 5:59 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Land Rover Defender is here.

Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
I have the opposite opinion. With a unibody construction and expensive price tag for a utility vehicle, it looks like LR sought to design a lifestyle vehicle for the general public from the get go.

Unibody construction would make it harder to service , repair and modify the vehicle . Insurance and owner is more likely to write off the vehicle as totaled after a major accident.
I didn't really comment on any of that, but anyway. I think it's a lazy opinion to call it a lifestyle vehicle, I think it's probably extremely capable off road and as the utility vehicle they have always been used for.
The monocoque means it won't drive like shit on the road yet maintains phenomenal off road capability.....but, it's not 'pure' or what it used to be like, so really there's just lots of rose tinted criticism and whatever Land Rover produced was going to cause exactly that. I'm pleased they've gone for it and modernised it. We don't need it to be a shit old car just because it's what they have always been.

Old Sep 15th 2019, 4:46 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
You can literally see from the design it's going to be fantastic off road, then add the technology and decent size engines and hey presto.

I love the fact it's upsetting so many.
I honestly hope that post is sarcasm if it's not then I'm going to assume you never travelled in a defender holding either a SLR or SA80.

The only reason for this change at Landrover is because their main purchaser shifted to the Ocelot which is the Chuck Norris of runabouts.... The Army was subsidising the civilian production line.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 6:01 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static View Post
I honestly hope that post is sarcasm if it's not then I'm going to assume you never travelled in a defender holding either a SLR or SA80.

The only reason for this change at Landrover is because their main purchaser shifted to the Ocelot which is the Chuck Norris of runabouts.... The Army was subsidising the civilian production line.
Which bit is sarcastic? (I'm going to assume the next bit is probably patronising as well).

Do you reckon that's the only reason they made any changes to it? Or that it was 26 years old have a part to play?

The Ocelot is 20x the price, it's in a different stratosphere. Anyway, they built 900 of the Defenders for the Army and over 200,000 Defenders in the 90's alone. I'm sure that order isn't going to cause a collapse
Old Sep 16th 2019, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I had 2 90's and 1 110 during the time I worked for a drilling company in Scotland years ago. As such, they got battered off road almost daily. Properly taken to their limits in bogs, rivers, hillsides etc. On road they're simply awful vehicles.

As for having traveled in one with and SLR or not makes zero difference whatsoever, the majority of service folk only tolerated them due to their simplicity to fix and ability off-road rather than anything else. The use of Pinkies was halted due to them offering pretty much zero protection for the occupants.

If considering purchase price, build quality and longevity.... they can only be considered as awful. The frame rots like a peach and they're constantly dogged by poor reliability. Only the 2.5D was any good. The reason they're still running about is that farmers can fix em with a hammer and old men in tweed spend a fortune paying someone else to fix them.

I always enjoyed driving my Landies but to say they are anything but agricultural, over priced and unreliable is just dreaming.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
Toyota 4runner, the fullsize Landcruiser (called the Landcruiser 200 in Australia) and the Landcruiser 70 series are all body-on-frame. Farmers and anyone wanting a workhorse 4x4 will get the 70 series . The 200 series is also popular with UN and NGOs. The Mercedes G-Wagon and the Nissan Patrol are still body-on-frame.
I stand corrected on the LC and the Patrol. No wonder they handle like cruise liners. ;-)
Old Sep 16th 2019, 6:58 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
I had 2 90's and 1 110 during the time I worked for a drilling company in Scotland years ago. As such, they got battered off road almost daily. Properly taken to their limits in bogs, rivers, hillsides etc. On road they're simply awful vehicles.

As for having traveled in one with and SLR or not makes zero difference whatsoever, the majority of service folk only tolerated them due to their simplicity to fix and ability off-road rather than anything else. The use of Pinkies was halted due to them offering pretty much zero protection for the occupants.

If considering purchase price, build quality and longevity.... they can only be considered as awful. The frame rots like a peach and they're constantly dogged by poor reliability. Only the 2.5D was any good. The reason they're still running about is that farmers can fix em with a hammer and old men in tweed spend a fortune paying someone else to fix them.

I always enjoyed driving my Landies but to say they are anything but agricultural, over priced and unreliable is just dreaming.
Your not the typical user the Defender was designed as something that would spend 20% of it's life on road rest going between fields and the farm yard and could be kept running simply cheap for farmers to fix bit like Mercedes cars and vans in African and Middle Eastern climates. As a soldier the Defender has been a joy to see and travel in and it's a shame they have gentrified it for drilling company employees.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 6:09 am
WWLLCJD?

. As a soldier the Defender has been a joy to see and travel in and it's a shame they have gentrified it for drilling company employees.
Until you run over an IED in Afghanistan when it displays it's not capable of doing that job anymore.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Your not the typical user the Defender was designed as something that would spend 20% of it's life on road rest going between fields and the farm yard and could be kept running simply cheap for farmers to fix bit like Mercedes cars and vans in African and Middle Eastern climates. As a soldier the Defender has been a joy to see and travel in and it's a shame they have gentrified it for drilling company employees.
Maybe go back and read what I wrote again. I said it was taken off-road and battered almost daily.... and I'd probably estimate it spent less that 50% of its life on road.

As for gentrified for "drilling company employees" you obviously have little idea what drilling companies are like.... we had the basic 90's and 110's just like farmers do. They're used as a workhorse to drag rigs across fields, rivers and bogs all day.

As for cheap to fix.... the amount of time they spent in the fitters yard showed that the one thing they are not is reliable.... and as such not cheap. Which is precisely why most drilling companies binned them off for Hilux's and the like.

As much as I grew to love my Landie I'll never understand why people look at them through such road tinted glasses.....
Old Sep 18th 2019, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Mercedes very recently ditched the solid front axle for independent front suspension; since most everyone who buys a G is not going off road with it. The rear is still a solid axle. Land Rover has gone with independent suspension front and rear for the new Defender.