Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Movie Reviews

Movie Reviews

Old Dec 13th 2004, 1:16 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movie Reviews

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
that was the very first time i saw her it was Dr Zivargo shown on pbs, it sucked and so did her acting...she is pretty though...and maybe her acting has improved "shrug"

p.s bob i always mean to ask...what the heck is *l*

Liked her in Bend it Like Beckham and Pirates of the Caribbean.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 1:27 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That's the one, couldn't quite remember the name.

There are quite a few good movies coming out though...anyone seen Alexandre?
Kind of bombed didn't it? Just Leaves Gengis Khan to be made for all the big names to have been done lately don't it

There are several out/coming out there we were thinking of seeing but critics rather lukewarm: Alexander, National Treasure, Phantom of the Opera, Blade 3, Polar Express...... We always go to a movie on Xmas so will have to find something.
Talk about movies on TV-TNT (Turner Network) often shows the same movie 3 weekend nights in a row. Just had LOR-Fellowship of the Ring on.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 1:38 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
We always go to a movie on Xmas so will have to find something. .
Actually this year we've decided to go see Polar Express as a family, maybe Xmas Eve ,I've heard it's great and they actually have a 3-D version showing at Imax
I really enjoyed National Treasure ,but i had no expectations and just wanted something entertaining to watch, it's kinda like an Indiana jones movie...with out the gorgeous Indiana jones though
Old Dec 13th 2004, 2:15 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Liked her in Bend it Like Beckham and Pirates of the Caribbean.
Aye
Old Dec 13th 2004, 2:17 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There are several out/coming out there we were thinking of seeing but critics rather lukewarm: Alexander, National Treasure, Phantom of the Opera, Blade 3, Polar Express...... We always go to a movie on Xmas so will have to find something.
Blade 3-Trinity...it's really stupid...but has fantastic one liners but the van wilder guy, just can't see him in the role...good movie though, but wouldn't waste money on the cinema unless you like cheese and a good fight scene

Polar Express, local cinema is showing a free matinee of that before x-mas, so might take a squizz at it
Old Dec 17th 2004, 3:03 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Saw "closer" lastnight...weren't a bad movie, bit weird, certainly a lot of dark humour, maybe I'm warped, but I thought it was funny, certainly a lot more ruder than the adds made it out to be... I'd give it 7/10
Old Dec 19th 2004, 12:36 am
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Saw "Oceans 12" today, well it was kack...the last 15 mins was pretty good and funny, but the movie sucked, it was boring, and predictable...some nice cameo's though. 4/10
Old Dec 19th 2004, 4:07 am
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh yeah, also saw "Confidence"...which was pretty cheesy, but it was good, I liked it, fun twists and amusing seeing Hoffman as a dodgy ganster geeza
I'd say 7/10
And thank god that $5 dvd bin at the Rockland Walmart has a good selection of movies
Old Dec 19th 2004, 3:58 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Bob!! you're a regular movie goer thanks for keeping up the thread!!!
When hubby and i went to movies to watch National Treasure there were people in line for Oceans 12 and then disappionted cos it was all filled up!!

don't fancy it at all myself..i haven't even seen Oceans 11(saw the original) this remake just smacks of cheesey Hollywood, and sorry gals but i just don't see all the fuss about George clooney ...he as no sex appeal and his acting SUCKS!!!

i was looking forward to watching Briget Jones 2 but the review i read wasn't great. ..........anybody seen it?
Old Dec 19th 2004, 4:17 pm
Velouria

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
don't fancy it at all myself..i haven't even seen Oceans 11(saw the original) this remake just smacks of cheesey Hollywood, and sorry gals but i just don't see all the fuss about George clooney ...he as no sex appeal and his acting SUCKS!!!
i never liked george clooney, personally. but i think it was his performance in Oh Brother, Where Art Thou, that turned me around. i think he looks better now as he's getting older, than when he first started out.

as for movie.. we saw Shaun of the Dead the other day... was funny in some parts, but nothing to write home about!

Old Dec 19th 2004, 4:31 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Velouria
i never liked george clooney, personally. but i think it was his performance in Oh Brother, Where Art Thou, that turned me around. i think he looks better now as he's getting older, than when he first started out.

as for movie.. we saw Shaun of the Dead the other day... was funny in some parts, but nothing to write home about!
I think "Out Of Sight" is on soon here, have you seen that? It's had good reviews but I've never seen it.

We'll have to disagree on Shaun of the Dead The "Don't Stop Me Now" fight was a classic for me
Old Dec 19th 2004, 4:36 pm
Velouria

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
I think "Out Of Sight" is on soon here, have you seen that? It's had good reviews but I've never seen it.

We'll have to disagree on Shaun of the Dead The "Don't Stop Me Now" fight was a classic for me
i did like certain parts of shaun of the dead, dont get me wrong.. it was a good no-brainer. i like the 'you got red on you' lines best

i havent seen out of sight. i used to rent dvds online when i was in the uk. i should really try and find if they do that here. but the last few months there we spent time catching up on CSI's and Six Feet Under.. along with the series 24.

i do want to see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind tho! heard a lot of good things about it. and it gets a good rating on imdb

Old Dec 19th 2004, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

i did like certain parts of shaun of the dead, dont get me wrong.. it was a good no-brainer. i like the 'you got red on you' lines best

i havent seen out of sight. i used to rent dvds online when i was in the uk. i should really try and find if they do that here. but the last few months there we spent time catching up on CSI's and Six Feet Under.. along with the series 24.

i do want to see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind tho! heard a lot of good things about it. and it gets a good rating on imdb
I like anything that Simon Pegg (Shaun) has done so I'm a bit biased ... not seen any of CSI, Six Feet Under or 24 either ... also never heard of "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" ... I'm so out of date

Then again I have only just got around to seeing "Some Like It Hot" so ...
Old Dec 19th 2004, 4:41 pm
Back Again

i recently watched that..it's okay..kinda strange with jim Carrey not being his usual over the top self......I actually found the story a bit sad myself
5/10
Old Dec 19th 2004, 4:50 pm
Velouria

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
I like anything that Simon Pegg (Shaun) has done so I'm a bit biased ... not seen any of CSI, Six Feet Under or 24 either ... also never heard of "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" ... I'm so out of date

Then again I have only just got around to seeing "Some Like It Hot" so ...
i loved the spaced series - they were excellent.

24 series one is brilliant - but the following series leave a lot to be desired. six feet under is also very good - dark.

im not normally a big fan of jim carrey - but eternal sunshine is supposed to be one his more serious roles. and im interested to see how well he can pull it off. not sure if its come out in the uk yet - although its on dvd here

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338013/

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement