Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Movie Reviews

Movie Reviews

Old Oct 4th 2019, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movie Reviews

Hi all watched Hotel Mumbai last night very scary and powerful.It makes you think of your own travel,s and could have been in similar situations well worth a watch
Old Oct 7th 2019, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Watched a British film last night called corruption. true story about London Olympics developments. Just goes to show what nasty little bast**** we can be very good watch
Old Oct 7th 2019, 9:22 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
A Star Is Born
I would never have chosen this in a million years, but it was only 1 of 5 available movies on my cheapo transatlantic flight so I reluctantly watched it. I'm not a big fan of Lady Gaga either (just never knew her work), but wow - what a voice! The story is a bit soapy but overall, the movie is well put together and the songs are almost all good; my favorite was 'Shallow'.

After watching this, I decided to try to find some Lady Gaga material to listen to; sadly, almost everything I found was 'very modern' ... hard to put a finger on it, but it seems a lot of 'pop' music made in the past decade or so has a certain 'sound' to it; a very 'techno', electronic/synthesized sound rather than distinguishable instruments such as piano, guitar, drums, etc. And almost all the youtube videos I found of her show her full of makeup, heavily costumed, dancing with a pack of dancers, etc. So ... does anyone know of any Lady Gaga music that is more in-line with her performances in the movie - simple instrumentation, no dancing, just standing at a mike, letting her voice do the work?
I realise this is a bit of a late reply (lol), but if you search for Lady Gaga Piano, there are quite a few youtube videos of her singing quite beautiful songs.
Here are a few:
[trigger warning - this song is about rape and sexual assault]

Quite an early Lady Gaga - still made up but a beautiful song

From a more recent album

And an incredible acoustic version of Born This Way

Last edited by Dreamy; Oct 7th 2019 at 9:25 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for those links!

Here's a live version of 'million reasons' - just her on stage with a microphone, very nice:

You are right, that first one you posted was 'very graphic' and disturbing; Here's a slightly less direct version, though she still has victims on stage at the end

I'll keep looking ...
Old Oct 8th 2019, 9:58 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for those links!

Here's a live version of 'million reasons' - just her on stage with a microphone, very nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8lUW9SKquY

You are right, that first one you posted was 'very graphic' and disturbing; Here's a slightly less direct version, though she still has victims on stage at the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rufPMisw4o

I'll keep looking ...
Check out Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett. They recorded an album together of old standards you might like.
Old Oct 31st 2019, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolomite is my name.Eddie Murphy stars.I laughed my head off thought it was great however my wife did not.Worth a look
Old Nov 1st 2019, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Rocket Man I am an EJ fan but, despite all the rave reviews, found this film to be pretty mediocre. Didn’t hold a candle to Bohemian Rhapsody IMO.
I saw it on a plane, and was pleasantly surprised. I was never a big fan of EJ, but didn't dislike him. It took a different approach than Bohemian R, more 'surreal' ('musical' bits with everyone singing, that sort of thing) - BR took more of a literal approach. What's interesting is, both of them were gay, hid the fact, and had affairs with their managers. I had no idea EJ had such a hard time during the peak of his fame ... seems to be par for the course.

Also saw 'They shall not grow old' - a documentary about 1st world war front-line 'cannon fodder' - the poor souls who rushed to join up, and then died by the thousands on the front lines in dreadful 'trench' conditions. Looks like it's going to be on BBC ...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0brzkzx

As far as I can tell, they use 100% archival footage that has been restored / enhanced, and 1st person commentary - no voice over, no narration - just the voices of the participants. The details are remarkable; everyone rushed to join, lying about their age so that 15, 16, 17 year olds could 'have a go at Jerry'. They were given boots that didn't fit, then marched for 8 hours a day to the front line. They froze to death in the trenches ... or died from mustard gas. And those who were shot and sent back to hospital - went back voluntarily to the front line for more. My granddad was one such person - he told me how he was a factory worker and felt that signing up would be a great adventure; he was shot in the trenches in Belgium, recuperated, and went straight back to fight again. I really, really wish I'd talked to my granddad more about this while he was still alive; I guess that's what this documentary is all about - capturing and preserving these irreplaceable memories. I was in tears just listening to these people tell their stories.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

.............The details are remarkable; everyone rushed to join, lying about their age so that 15, 16, 17 year olds could 'have a go at Jerry'. They were given boots that didn't fit, then marched for 8 hours a day to the front line. They froze to death in the trenches ... or died from mustard gas. And those who were shot and sent back to hospital - went back voluntarily to the front line for more. My granddad was one such person - he told me how he was a factory worker and felt that signing up would be a great adventure; he was shot in the trenches in Belgium, recuperated, and went straight back to fight again. I really, really wish I'd talked to my granddad more about this while he was still alive; I guess that's what this documentary is all about - capturing and preserving these irreplaceable memories. I was in tears just listening to these people tell their stories.
At this time of year, my Avatar gains significance...... Like yours, my grandfather "did his bit" - and a bit more!

Pop was one of the many Irish Volunteers who heeded John Redmond's call to fight for the "small nations" as part of Kitchener's New Army. I have his '14-'15 Star and other medals but his Army records were destroyed by fire in WW2 (as were many), so it's hard to trace his steps exactly. Ironically, he was assigned, not to one of the Irish regiments, but to the Royal Welch Fusiliers. He was gassed on the Western Front and, on recovery, was assigned to a different battalion - and those lucky sods were sent off to Gallipoli, where he contracted dysentery, malaria and viral hepatitis. He was then sent back to the UK and transferred to the reserve battalion in Liverpool. In 1917, they became the garrison for Limerick, so he was demobbed there in 1919... after 5 years service, with no job, but an 8s a week pension due to his malaria - and married my Grandmother in 1920.

Then in 1922 he joined the new National Army, became a CQSM in the Póilíní Airm (Army Police) and spent the rest of the Civil War chasing IRA flying columns (!). By the time he left, in 1926, he was 32 years old and had been fighting, on and off, for 12 years. On his discharge papers, they note defective teeth, varicose veins, haemorrhoids, a history of malaria and effects of gassing.... then it says "Medical condition - man complains of:" and handwritten next to it "makes no complaint"! Unfortunately, the gas, or the malaria or the hepatitis meant his kidneys were shot to hell, so he didn't make old bones and died at 64, when I was 4 years old. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam uasal - In memory of those of all nations who gave their lives so we can live.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

The kitchen, three gangsters wives take over from them when they are jailed.Good story line well worth a watch.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 7:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The Man Without Gravity. Beautiful, just beautiful. Funny, sad, joyful and an absolutely brilliant ending.
On Netflix Canada, don't know for other versions.

Don't watch trailers, just jump straight in. You won't be disappointed.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Long time since my last M Night Shamalan movies, this time it was Lady in the Water. This wasn't just bad, it was dumb all over. Each time it shows signs of idiocy, it would reach a greater level just a few minutes later. The acting was part good, part weird stereotype, except for the egotistic writer/director who cast himself as the most significant writer ever and is just terrible in every scene. The plot is pretty much a goofy children's story where silly things happen and people act in ways that defy normality - which you are able to ignore if it is for kids, but you can't do that in a serious adult movie since you expect many people to say how crazy everyone is acting.

The Happening is still the worst movie I have seen, but Lady in the Water is the dumbest.