Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Movie Reviews

Movie Reviews

Old Jul 7th 2015, 12:08 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movie Reviews

Inside out.

2nd best Pixar ever (because Toy Story).

Not sure it's that great for kids, strangely enough. Possibly their most adult film to date in many ways.

Excellent. I award it ALL OF THE STARS.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 3:21 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Run All Night

Longtime hit man Jimmy Conlon (Liam Neeson), best friend of mob boss Shawn Maguire (Ed Harris - looking old), has seen better days. He's haunted both by the sins of his past and a police detective who's been breathing down his neck for 30 years, and the only comfort Jimmy has is whiskey. However, when his estranged son (Joel Kinnaman) becomes a mob target, Jimmy figures that the only way to atone for his past mistakes is to make sure that his son doesn't wind up at the wrong end of a gun.

Liam Neeson is in typical fine form and the movie some great fight and car chase scenes.

8/10
Old Jul 7th 2015, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Inside out.

Not sure it's that great for kids, strangely enough. Possibly their most adult film to date in many ways.

I cried most of the way through. The only other movie to do that to me was Up, and that was only for the beginning.

Excellent film, I really want to see it again.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 7:28 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Inside out.....Possibly their most adult film to date in many ways.....
Originally Posted by Anian View Post
.....Excellent film, I really want to see it again.
Great film, for kids and adults, its a proper adult film, accessible for kids, I think they could have gotten away with having an adult as the main character. But I think it lays a great foundation for kids to understand emotions and differences.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

She wrote that after seeing his acting.

Old Jul 11th 2015, 2:53 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

'Woman in Gold'

Woman in Gold (2015) - IMDb

Helen Mirren and Ryan Renolds in a true story of a woman trying to get back a painting of her aunt stolen by the nazis. The painting was by Gustav Klimt done in 1907. It was given to the 'Belvedere Gallery' in Vienna.
Excellent acting by Mirren, and is a film I would highly recommend.
9/10
Old Jul 13th 2015, 12:29 am
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Inside out.

Funny you should say that because we thought it was a bit shit. Nice art style and a nice idea for a story, but a bit irritating in the way it was told.

Kids didn't like it either.

3/10

Minions.

Eldest liked it, the youngest didn't.

We thought it was a bit shit too. Would have been a nice Christmas special, kind of deal, but as a whole film, it just dragged on and the side characters weren't all that good.

4/10
Old Jul 13th 2015, 1:17 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Jurassic World

Real boring, its just more of the same. Interesting that despite advances in technology, there is nothing new to be offered. Not even enough differences to justify introducing it to a new generation. In fact the story is the weakest of the four in the franchise.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 12:05 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Funny you should say that because we thought it was a bit shit. Nice art style and a nice idea for a story, but a bit irritating in the way it was told.

3/10
We half agree... I told you it wasn't a kids film.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Jurassic World

Real boring, its just more of the same. Interesting that despite advances in technology, there is nothing new to be offered. Not even enough differences to justify introducing it to a new generation. In fact the story is the weakest of the four in the franchise.
Disappointing, but not unexpected.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 7:07 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

We half agree... I told you it wasn't a kids film.
It was essentially a free showing anyway...it was the second movie at the drive in...Jurassic World, was on the other screen, but that started about a half hour earlier as they were showing Jaws on that screen as the first movie.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post

3/10
What is your rating on Toy Story (since that was brought up by the other poster as their favorite Pixar movie)?
Old Jul 13th 2015, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Lincoln

Finally saw this Spielberg historical epic. Didn't like it as much as I had hoped. It did fill in some huge gaps in my American History, though! Never realized the 13th amendment was so closely intertwined with the Civil War, and that it would never had passed had the rebel states been considered part of the union at the time of passage.

I was puzzled by the last scene ... why did they end the movie with Lincoln giving a speech ... he'd just been shot/killed in the previous scene. Was this his defining speech or something? Just curious!
Old Jul 13th 2015, 10:29 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
What is your rating on Toy Story (since that was brought up by the other poster as their favorite Pixar movie)?
I really enjoyed it and the kids liked it a lot, though I think they preferred the third one the most, probably due to the purple bear and the pretty animation.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 10:47 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Lincoln

Finally saw this Spielberg historical epic. Didn't like it as much as I had hoped. It did fill in some huge gaps in my American History, though! Never realized the 13th amendment was so closely intertwined with the Civil War, and that it would never had passed had the rebel states been considered part of the union at the time of passage.

I was puzzled by the last scene ... why did they end the movie with Lincoln giving a speech ... he'd just been shot/killed in the previous scene. Was this his defining speech or something? Just curious!
It was his second inaugural address, basically the acceptance speech from when he won reelection. I don't know if I would call it his defining speech because I think the House Divided speech was more of a watershed and The Gettysburg Address was certainly more famous. However it was very intense and powerful, perhaps the most personal one he had ever given.

I think the reason that Spielberg used that particular speech was because it outlined how heartbroken Lincoln was over the horrific nature of the war. It was most significant, in my mind, as it gives real insight into how reconstruction may have went if Lincoln had lived out his second term. He was clearly intending to be generous toward the South and would put a priority on forgiveness and reconciliation. When he died the Republican hardliners threw out all notions of reconciliation and the resulting punitive nature of reconstruction paved way for another century of division and racial intolerance throughout the South.

Last edited by Leslie; Jul 13th 2015 at 11:00 pm.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.