Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Movie Reviews

Movie Reviews

Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movie Reviews

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
I take heed from the fact that it is often the smarter brainer people that develop the early onset so I should be ok

Sad to know you had family with this awful debilitating disease. It is bad enough seeing older people decline through the dementia, it must be worse to see it happen in one so young
Actually I've heard the same thing about the more intelligent and so on - and my sis-in-law was incredibly intelligent, very articulate - like Alice.

I'm good too then - not the brightest, thank goodness
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:26 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Thanks...I shall give Nightcrawler and Fury a try.
IMHO best films of last year or when ever they came out, Fury was a no brainer having been a tankie it's gruesome but pretty slick at the same time.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

The Village
Almost finished my M Night Shamwow series of films. This begins really strangely, you only see bit of events for some reason, and it's not as if having a proper scene conclusion would ruin anything. Just a silly choice to do it that way. The middle is fine, the acting is good, it flows well. The ending has several scenes that are plain stupid, although they aren't really crucial to the way that the plot unfolds but they do contain a few explanatory things. I'm assuming that guy who we can't quite see in one of the final scenes is M Night himself, since the acting is bad and the words he says are ridiculously unrealistic and silly. The main twist in this one is somewhat dull and doesn't quite make sense, given that the elders look too young and there are far too many people in the village. It's an okay film overall, would have been good if the beginning and ending were filmed better.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 11:06 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static View Post
IMHO best films of last year or when ever they came out, Fury was a no brainer having been a tankie it's gruesome but pretty slick at the same time.
Fury was pretty good but the ending was just a tad "American"
Old Jun 13th 2015, 12:36 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Cake

This is a fairly depressing movie and Jennifer Aniston did not get great reviews for this movie.
I actually thought her acting in this movie was a vast improvement to her usual unfunny comedy roles.

It was an interesting story, but very sad. It took most of the movie to figure out why her life was the way it was and the final scene was a bit of a let down but I would give it 7/10, and I do admit to shedding a tear or two as well
Old Jun 13th 2015, 3:13 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Noble

We have just seen Noble at our local Gecko cinema.

This film is based on the true story of Christina Noble who was born into poverty in Ireland . She spent time homeless and was subjected to poor treatment and abuse. However, she had a calling and after decades she finally followed that calling. She is a, or perhaps I should write the, child rights campaigner for Vietnam and now Mongolia.

My husband and I both found the film to be gripping . The storyline and content worked with great perfomances.

Well worth a watch.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 10:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Kingsman - Secret Service

This is a really, really dumb story....but it was a hell of a lot of silly fun

Storyline is daft, they're the good guys and a big bad guy, very much old school Bond style. Lots of over the top and in places, slightly gross fighting.

We really enjoyed it as a mindless movie.

7/10
Old Jun 24th 2015, 10:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Crows Zero

It's a few years old, Japanese flick that's part of a 3 parter as a prequel to a manga comic series.

It's utterly bonkers as expected...with a real silly story line, but if you're into these gang fighting movies, it's quite entertaining.

6/10
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Gone Girl

Best movie I've seen in a long while! Interesting storyline - wife disappears, husband presumed guilty of killing her. First half of the movie covers his experience after the disappearance, then we get to see the wife's story. Beautifully acted by Rosamund Pike, and Ben Affleck is not bad either. Oddly scary end ...

I've watched it 3 times in the past week, it gets better each time. Curious to hear if others found it as enjoyable.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 12:15 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Gone Girl

Best movie I've seen in a long while! Interesting storyline - wife disappears, husband presumed guilty of killing her. First half of the movie covers his experience after the disappearance, then we get to see the wife's story. Beautifully acted by Rosamund Pike, and Ben Affleck is not bad either. Oddly scary end ...

I've watched it 3 times in the past week, it gets better each time. Curious to hear if others found it as enjoyable.

We watched this the other night as it showed up on the movie channels.

I thought the film was ok, and Rosamund Pike was good, well, creepy.

Affleck, on the other hand was effin dreadful. Confiming once and for all what a truly talentless actor he is. Like, if there was a scale based on how shit Tom Cruise was, Affleck, in that movie, would score somewhere in the Burn-The-TV-Now range.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 12:58 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post

Affleck, on the other hand was effin dreadful. Confiming once and for all what a truly talentless actor he is. Like, if there was a scale based on how shit Tom Cruise was, Affleck, in that movie, would score somewhere in the Burn-The-TV-Now range.
Haha..so true. He is totally devoid of showing any type of emotion. He needs to stay the other side of the camera.

I loved the book but having him in the movie makes me scared to watch it.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 1:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Gone Girl

I wrote about it early in the year. It was an ok movie...just ok.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Horrible, horrible actor.

Film was ok - I think the peeps who read the book did not care for it.

I have no idea how some of these "actors" keep getting these good roles. Barfleck's voice alone makes me sick. And the Ryans - the fellow with the beady eyes and rat like teeth - he LOOKS like a rat! And they other Ryan bloke - great below the neck but ONE expression.

Okay, rant done for now... I'm getting old thus do not appreciate the "calssics" like Magic Mike...
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Haha..so true. He is totally devoid of showing any type of emotion. He needs to stay the other side of the camera.

I loved the book but having him in the movie makes me scared to watch it.
Well I'm no fan of Affleck but I felt that in this particular role, his 'bad acting' was absolutely appropriate. The whole point of his character/role was that he didn't "act appropriately" (behave appropriately) for a grieving husband, and was ripped by the media (in the context of the movie), and he played that role well.

I thought the lawyer dude was great too! And the sister ('Go' / 'Margo'). Even the lead investigator was a pleasure to watch.

But the woman Amy was just super, duper creepy and that's what the movie was all about. The whole demise of the marriage, the re-emergence of her whacko side, the scheming, the diary ... all done so well. There was a great line too - want to test your marriage? take one recession and subtract two jobs ...

The only part I wasn't clear on was why she had 'kill self' on her calendar / plan ... was that really one of her goals, after leaving? It seemed incompatible with her strong will to live/control ... I'm guessing the book explains that better.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 7:00 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

The only part I wasn't clear on was why she had 'kill self' on her calendar / plan ... was that really one of her goals
She wrote that after seeing his acting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.