Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Movie Reviews

Movie Reviews

Old Feb 7th 2015, 8:49 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movie Reviews

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
We tried but gave up.

The Sweeney will always be John Thaw and Dennis Waterman and as much as I like Ray Winston it just didn't work

"We're the Sweeney . Put yer trousers on son, yer nicked"
Winstone has never been a great actor, but he could inhabit a character, but in the Sweeney, he was too old, and a phoned in performance.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 9:02 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Old Boy

Spike Lee's version. Far more accessible than the Korean version, and just as good. Visually very impressive, especially the flashbacks. A great watch, although could have done with some seafood action. 9/10

Catch .44
Tarantino-esque drug dealer stuff, centred on a Mexican stand off in a diner. Forrest Whittaker is excellent, Bruce Willis dependable as ever. Good script, very watchable. 8/10

However, I now feel distinctly blood-spattered having watched both of those in an afternoon--feel like I need a Bob-Hoskins-in-The-Long-Good-Friday shower.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 3:58 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
Old Boy

Spike Lee's version. Far more accessible than the Korean version, and just as good. Visually very impressive, especially the flashbacks. A great watch, although could have done with some seafood action. 9/10
Thought I'd give this one a go. It had promise but fell short for me. Definitely not a 9/10, more like a 6/10
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 4:04 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Birdman (2014) - IMDb

Academy Award winner - really!!!

Watched this one for about 1/2 an hour, looked over at the GF and asked "do you get it?" Ans: Nope. Me either so turned it off - wouldn't even bother rating it.

Compared to The Grand Budapest Hotel, this one was pure drivel.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 8:07 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Paddington

If this isn't the family movie of the year (Even though we are still in Feb) I'll eat my hat.
The villain is a bit formulaic, but everything else is great family fun.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 1:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

American Sniper. True story of a Navy Seal who does 4 tours of duty in Iraq. Pretty much what I expected. Found it hard to believe that whilst on an active mission soldiers are allowed to phone home for a chat....'Hey baby it's me...'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2179136/?ref_=nv_sr_1

5/10
Old Mar 11th 2015, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

After the dismal Batman Returns, I wasn't holding out much hope for Batman Forever, but it was actually an alright film. It was really only let down by the weird mind rays plot and Two-Face being an awful character. Not much else to say on it, except that it was okay if a bit meh. Then came Batman & Robin. Oh dear. Absolutely awful. Arnie was worse than in any of his other films, Uma Thurman was equally bad at acting. I don't even know if Alicia Silverstone was meant to have a British accent or not, she was terrible - still not sure if she was meant to be playing the same character as in the last movie. It's as if they all channelled their worst acting into this movie. Clooney is just standard Clooney. The plot was bad all round, no redeeming features at all, from the silly arguments between the title characters to the magic iceskate boots.

On a light note:
Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind. Very early Studio Ghibli, much more plot-driven than whimsy. The animation style looks dated (because it was made decades ago) but flawlessly executed to look so natural when it comes to impacts and flying physics. Very good movie, although I was distracted a bit by Patrick Stewert's very distinctive voice.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Some that are considered classics:
Blue Brothers - Best description is of a load of great musical numbers surrounded by middling comedy and over-the-top car chases that get more absurd and amusing as the movie goes on. The problem is that you have to sit through so much dull stuff to get to the good stuff, although I did see the full-length version rather than the much shorter cinema/video/tv version. They must have had a giant budget judging by the huge number of cars that get wrecked, buildings blown up, and windows smashed.

Big Lebowski - This is essentially a mystery, with comedy and weird acid trips. Very funny. Not sure why the Dude hangs around with Walter, who single-handedly screws everything up every time. Good movie.

What We Do In The Shadows - Comedy documentary about vampires in New Zealand and how they are are affected by certain events. Made by at least a few people in Flight of the Concords, and the humour is much the same. Surprisingly a lot of special effects and they are good too. Very funny.
Old May 22nd 2015, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

The Theory of Everything (Stephen Hawking story).

I was totally blown away by this, in many respects. I had no idea about the guy other than he's still alive, a genius, and at Cambridge, so this was very educational. I did catch some of the earlier biopic with Cumberbatch, but that seemed to focus on his earlier days.

What shocked me the most was that he left his first wife, who deserved a medal for all she did, and hooked up with his nurse! He didn't seem to be in a position to be shopping around for women! I ended the movie assuming this was all drama made up for the movie, but then started googling around and read numerous accounts that seemed to back up the events of the movie, including this one. . Seems like this movie was based on the autobiography of his first wife, and that Hawking specifically commented that this was a fairly accurate portrayal of his life. So he was a bit of a womanizer! I read also that he divorced his second wife.

I just couldn't get over how devoted his first wife was (regardless of how she felt about the choirmaster ...). Raising 3 kids and looking after Stephen could not have been easy.

I guess they were pretty poor until later in life when he became something of a celebrity, and that explains why they didn't have much in the way of assistance.

Anyway - definitely an interesting movie!
Old May 27th 2015, 10:46 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

TommorowLand

We went to see this as it's the first family movie released for ages that hasn't been an animation or musical. Like everyone else, I had no idea what the movie was about, as Disney chose not to really advertise anything about it.

It's basically a Science Fiction movie, with a save the world story going on. I won't go into any details, if people want to know they can read more in-depth reviews.

We really enjoyed the movie, action packed, but with a definite story running through it, very family friendly (I imagine 5 upwards would enjoy it), it was well acted, Raffey Cassidy, in particular, was fantastic in it, she's one to watch for in the future. Others in the cinema seemed to think the same, there was very little people getting up and down to go to the bathroom, and huge applause at the end. (I'll never get used to that).

I'd give it a 7/10.

One really interesting thing I read about this movie is, it's one of only two original (non-animation) films to be coming out of Hollywood this year, the other being San Andreas. The others are all adapted from books, sequels, remakes, or part of a franchise. Apparently when movie goers are asked what they want from a movie, a very common answer is originality. However, people aren't going to see this movie (maybe Disney got their advertising wrong). I think this is a real shame, it's a good movie, and if people want studios to make originals, they need to vote with their dosh and go see this.
Old May 28th 2015, 12:22 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
TommorowLand

We went to see this as it's the first family movie released for ages that hasn't been an animation or musical. Like everyone else, I had no idea what the movie was about, as Disney chose not to really advertise anything about it.

It's basically a Science Fiction movie, with a save the world story going on. I won't go into any details, if people want to know they can read more in-depth reviews.

We really enjoyed the movie, action packed, but with a definite story running through it, very family friendly (I imagine 5 upwards would enjoy it), it was well acted, Raffey Cassidy, in particular, was fantastic in it, she's one to watch for in the future. Others in the cinema seemed to think the same, there was very little people getting up and down to go to the bathroom, and huge applause at the end. (I'll never get used to that).

I'd give it a 7/10.

One really interesting thing I read about this movie is, it's one of only two original (non-animation) films to be coming out of Hollywood this year, the other being San Andreas. The others are all adapted from books, sequels, remakes, or part of a franchise. Apparently when movie goers are asked what they want from a movie, a very common answer is originality. However, people aren't going to see this movie (maybe Disney got their advertising wrong). I think this is a real shame, it's a good movie, and if people want studios to make originals, they need to vote with their dosh and go see this.
Glad you posted this. Some of the reviews have been a bit off-putting but I quite fancied it as it is the same director as The Incredibles (I think).
Old May 28th 2015, 12:42 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Glad you posted this. Some of the reviews have been a bit off-putting but I quite fancied it as it is the same director as The Incredibles (I think).
Yes it is, Brad Bird. Rumors are very strong that he will now be starting work on Incredibles 2.
Old May 28th 2015, 12:44 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is, Brad Bird. Rumors are very strong that he will now be starting work on Incredibles 2.
As he should be.
Old May 29th 2015, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pacific Rim
It's like a Japanese anime made into real life. I don't just mean the kaiju, I mean the stereotypical overacting characters. The Japanese actress forgot to act for the first half, but then was perfectly fine for the second half. Idris Elba's accent was all over the place. Okay overall, should have gone a bit more for the comedy angle to make it more fun.
Old May 29th 2015, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

TommorowLand

We really enjoyed the movie ...
Our Twenty-Something nephew really enjoyed it too, so it seems to be a hit with everyone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.