Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Movie Reviews

Movie Reviews

Old Feb 1st 2015, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movie Reviews

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Good film, though we should remember its not a documentary, people who knew him say he wasn't as objectionable as portrayed, and the spy discovery/blackmail was an invention.
We're aware of inaccuracies of films, I'm sure this one was no different. But his obvious unhappiness within himself for hiding his homosexuality was probably mostly accurate. The chemical castration must have been horrible for him. At any rate, we do think it was a good movie and worth seeing. Benedict Cumberbatch is a good actor.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Good film, though we should remember its not a documentary, people who knew him say he wasn't as objectionable as portrayed, and the spy discovery/blackmail was an invention.
There was a nice TV film about him a while back with Derek Jacobi in the title role.
Old Feb 4th 2015, 5:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The Judge

Getting on a little this now I guess....but it's about a high powered lawyer going back to the sticks of the midwest for a family reunion and take care of his dad who gets into trouble, who is also the town judge.

It's actually a surprisingly good movie that moves along at a decent pace.

What is weird about it though, is knowing that when the chap is driving over the bridge to get into town and the down town area, is actually Shelburne Falls, which is in western MA...have some cousins who live not far from there and it's a lovely area, but just a few miles away from where the rest of the town is in the movie.

8/10
Old Feb 4th 2015, 9:36 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Big Driver

TV movie based on a Stephen King short story

For a 'made for TV' film not a bad effort.

Big Driver (TV Movie 2014) - IMDb

6/10
Old Feb 4th 2015, 10:12 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
The Judge

Getting on a little this now I guess....but it's about a high powered lawyer going back to the sticks of the midwest for a family reunion and take care of his dad who gets into trouble, who is also the town judge.

It's actually a surprisingly good movie that moves along at a decent pace.

What is weird about it though, is knowing that when the chap is driving over the bridge to get into town and the down town area, is actually Shelburne Falls, which is in western MA...have some cousins who live not far from there and it's a lovely area, but just a few miles away from where the rest of the town is in the movie.

8/10
Thought that one was a good one as well
Old Feb 4th 2015, 10:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Outpost 37

Weird little war movie that's a bit like Cloverfield, in that it's a bit of a documentary style movie that kicks off into action and it's put together on a budget of tincans and is surprisingly not all that gash.

It's not going to win any major awards, but it's not terrible, has some okay action and a decent attempt at a story and dialogue.

6/10
Old Feb 6th 2015, 6:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

The Sweeney

Bit of an old one now as it's a few years old I think.

Anyway, fun action movie, with a shit plot and terrible acting...plus who really believed Ray Winstone will actually run about?

Once the shooting and car chases kick off, it's quite fun though, but the bits in between were a bit slow and dull.

Fun to catch, but not worth going out of your way for.

6/10
Old Feb 6th 2015, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Three stinkers this week.

Funny that I saw the first Fantastic Four movie just after the trailer for the reboot. It's a bad film. Not as bad as the Silver Surfer sequel, but still really bad and in mostly the same ways. Every character acts like they are in a soap opera, acting purely instinctively and without considering any consequences. One guy's wife refuses to even speak to him due to his skin condition (it's turned to rock), and later the police automatically pull their guns on him. This might be something to do with the fact that he walked from Switzlerland to New York without any explanation of how. No one even wonders if it is a man in a monster suit. Company stock goes into freefall after a minor accident in which no one is visibly injured. A guy goes around killing people he knows and no one even investigates it, while his woman (who was almost his fiancee despite not showing an ounce of attraction towards him) randomly leaves him. The worst part is that it isn't even a superhero movie since they barely use their powers until the last five minutes. Why can't they make more superhero movies that don't spend half of the film focusing on the origin story? And why did nobody point out these huge plot holes? Is half the movie missing?

Next up is Spawn, the 1997 live action film. I remember it coming out because I read lots of rock music magazines at the time and the soundtrack was popular in them. I vaguely knew the comic and every promotional shot of the movie that I saw was a cartoon or CGI thing, so I assumed that the whole movie was. It's not, as I found out last night. CGI is used heavily in the movie, but it looks awful. Funny how the prosphetics and real props look so good, such a contrast. The plot is too simple and doesn't allow for the characters to be built up in any way. The comic-style elements are just stupid. It's just a dumb and bad movie that looks terrible. Still not as bad as Fantastic Four though.

Rounding it out is Superman III. I vaguely remember this from when I was a child. It's terrible. There's no logical progression - idiot unemployed man becomes supergenius engineer overnight. It's like they tried to make a comedy out of it but told Richard Pryor to be unfunny. The only good bit was when Superman fights Clark Kent in an imaginary battle.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The Sweeney

Bit of an old one now as it's a few years old I think.

Anyway, fun action movie, with a shit plot and terrible acting...plus who really believed Ray Winstone will actually run about?

Once the shooting and car chases kick off, it's quite fun though, but the bits in between were a bit slow and dull.

Fun to catch, but not worth going out of your way for.

6/10
OMG caught that recently -
Old Feb 7th 2015, 1:44 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
We tried but gave up.

The Sweeney will always be John Thaw and Dennis Waterman and as much as I like Ray Winston it just didn't work

"We're the Sweeney . Put yer trousers on son, yer nicked"
Old Feb 7th 2015, 1:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
We tried but gave up.

The Sweeney will always be John Thaw and Dennis Waterman and as much as I like Ray Winston it just didn't work

Just going to say the same. I saw the film when it was released...can't hold a candle to the TV series back in the '70s.

I couldn't watch Inspector Morse...because to me John Thaw will always be Jack Reagan.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 3:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
I was working through the boring, story bits...it wasn't that bad when you only watched the shoot outs and car chases, though that last one was a bit meh compared to the extras bit on it.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 3:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

He did have a nice ode to "Scum", for a moment there though
Old Feb 7th 2015, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We tried but gave up.

It was ludicrous, from his huge fat belly and violent demeanour to the sidekick's shady past and crazy physics of paper-thin walls but wood that could stop bullets. Couldn't see it through either. The original was too good
Old Feb 7th 2015, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was working through the boring, story bits...it wasn't that bad when you only watched the shoot outs and car chases, though that last one was a bit meh compared to the extras bit on it.
Each to his own but I found it was worse than even I'd feared.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.