Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Movie Reviews

Movie Reviews

Old Jan 23rd 2015, 9:41 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movie Reviews

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool View Post
Really want to see this. There is also a similar Australian film, a true story of a woman who crosses the desert alone, but the name escapes me. Jersey Girl, popped over here for my verdict on The Imitation Game for you. I thought it was rather good. A good balance between his personal story and that of breaking the Enigma Code. I don't think your lack of taste for BC will be a problem - even though there was a glimpse or two of Sherlock showing through Next on the list to see is The Theory of Everything.
Tracks?
They do sound similar.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 3:41 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Boyhood

Cool idea but thought the movie was boring, not bad just boring 4/10

Dracula Untold

Can't beat the old classics that scared the hell out of me as a kid but this one was pretty good with a different twist to the storyline. 8/10
Old Jan 24th 2015, 6:00 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool View Post
Really want to see this. There is also a similar Australian film, a true story of a woman who crosses the desert alone, but the name escapes me. Jersey Girl, popped over here for my verdict on The Imitation Game for you. I thought it was rather good. A good balance between his personal story and that of breaking the Enigma Code. I don't think your lack of taste for BC will be a problem - even though there was a glimpse or two of Sherlock showing through Next on the list to see is The Theory of Everything.
Rabbit-Proof Fence?
Old Jan 24th 2015, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Tracks?
They do sound similar.
YES! That's it - thanks.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 11:40 am
L/R

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Paddington...staring Hugh Bonneville and Wooden Kidman. OMG, OMG, OMG...I loved this movie!!! Witty...whimsical...the way the story was told was brilliant. 9/10 .....
I agree. We enjoy going to the the cinema with little Miss P, but I wasn't sure how good this was going to be. I had previously read the New Yorker review and now I am not even sure the reviewer had actually seen the film.

The presentation of Paddington and the animation, wasn't as cloyingly gooey as I had feared it might be, and while it wasn't exactly "dark", it did have a "realism" that I hadn't expected. Overall I definitely think it was an excellent film and agree that it is fully worth the 9/10 that JG gave it.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 26th 2015 at 1:22 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 11:42 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
I agree. We enjoy going to the the cinema with little Miss P, but I wasn't sure how good this was going to be. I had previously read the New Yorker review and I am not sure the reviewer had actually seen the film.

The presentation of Paddington and the animation, wasn't as cloyingly gooey as I had feared it might be, and while it wasn't exactly "dark", it did have a "realism" that I hadn't expected. Overall I definitely think it was an excellent film and agree that it is fully worth the 9/10 that JG gave it.
I may need to cave in and see this. I had been ignoring it as I was convinced it was one of those "gonna wreck a bit of your childhood" movies.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 11:50 am
L/R

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
I may need to cave in and see this. I had been ignoring it as I was convinced it was one of those "gonna wreck a bit of your childhood" movies.
That's the thing, this movie has all of the essential Paddington mythology - the Brown family, finding him at Paddington station, Mr Curry next door, Mr Gruber's antique shop on Portobello Rd, the marmalade sandwich under the hat (which leads to a very funny gag) but it was so much more than that.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 26th 2015 at 12:12 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Northern Soul - a low budget British movie set in the 70s in Lancashire around the Northern Soul scene.

The storyline is not particularly compelling - pretty predictable tale of a disaffected youth who finds himself in the music scene.

However, I really enjoyed the look & feel of the movie (along with the soundtrack).

Perhaps of limited appeal to anyone under 50, but for those of us that remember that time in Britain, worth a look 7/10
Old Jan 26th 2015, 12:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
I agree. We enjoy going to the the cinema with little Miss P, but I wasn't sure how good this was going to be. I had previously read the New Yorker review and I am not sure the reviewer had actually seen the film.

I used to love taking my daughter to the movies when she was young...especially the animated Disney movies.

I didn't really want to see Paddington...so it came as a nice surprise. If you look at my previous posts you will see that I normally give films 5/10...sometimes 6. Don't think I've graded a film a 9 in this thread before.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 6:33 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

The Purge Anarchy.

Well, who would have thought it. I was expecting some low rent fun, but this is not half a bad movie. Quite the comment on America, loads of class and race in this one, and with a bit of meat its not half-arsed.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

With the run up to the Oscars, we've seen a couple of movies that have been nominated:

Boyhood: While I think it was an interesting concept filming this particular child growing up, the storyline was pretty bad. 5/10

The Theory of Everything: One of my favorites.....I really enjoyed the acting (truly hope Eddie Redmayne wins the Oscar for Best Actor) and learning unknown information about Stephen Hawking. 9/10

The Imitation Game: We saw this yesterday and both really enjoyed it, my husband more so. Benedict Cumberbatch did a great job of showing what a tortured soul Alan Turning really was. 9/10
Old Feb 1st 2015, 4:24 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

The Fury.

Brad Pitt cannot act.The same for Shia
LeBeouf.

The only time Brad Pitt had ever made sense was in Snatch, when he couldn't be understood.

Logan Lerman as "Norman" was probably the best of the bunch. It just was not a good movie
Old Feb 1st 2015, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
The Fury.

LeBeouf.

The only time Brad Pitt had ever made sense was in Snatch, when he couldn't be understood.
So true.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 5:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa View Post
With the run up to the Oscars, we've seen a couple of movies that have been nominated:

Boyhood: While I think it was an interesting concept filming this particular child growing up, the storyline was pretty bad. 5/10

The Theory of Everything: One of my favorites.....I really enjoyed the acting (truly hope Eddie Redmayne wins the Oscar for Best Actor) and learning unknown information about Stephen Hawking. 9/10

The Imitation Game: We saw this yesterday and both really enjoyed it, my husband more so. Benedict Cumberbatch did a great job of showing what a tortured soul Alan Turning really was. 9/10
Boyhood was just OK. Interesting concept of making a film. 4/10

The other two films are on my to see list.

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
The Fury.

LeBeouf.

Logan Lerman as "Norman" was probably the best of the bunch. It just was not a good movie
I agree...neither can act.

Brad Pitt had a good face and body in the film Thelma and Louse. Apart from that I think he got famous through the actresses he dated. Once read that he is dyslexic...he cannot remember his lines and reads them as he is acting.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 6:28 pm
Fair and balanced

Originally Posted by AmerLisa View Post
Good film, though we should remember its not a documentary, people who knew him say he wasn't as objectionable as portrayed, and the spy discovery/blackmail was an invention.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.