Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Movie Reviews

Movie Reviews

Old Jan 4th 2015, 10:50 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movie Reviews

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
I'm not saying it's totally awful but it's very basic.
Basic. Agreed but you're comparing a "first" movie with a shoestring, under $400K budget with a sequel (brain turned on now for correct movie reference ) with a $4.5mill budget. The original paved the way for 2 and yeah, 2 was better than the original, which in itself makes it unique as sequels very seldom live up to the original.

That said, I would never refer to the original as bad. With all the advances in making movies especially with CGI, if you watch them now it may seem lame but I can still remember watching that movie in my teens with a bunch of friends and we all wished we were Mad Max.

Still a classic in my mind

Last edited by Hawk13; Jan 4th 2015 at 10:53 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13 View Post
Basic. Agreed but you're comparing a "first" movie with a shoestring, under $400K budget with a sequel (brain turned on now for correct movie reference ) with a $4.5mill budget. The original paved the way for 2 and yeah, 2 was better than the original, which in itself makes it unique as sequels very seldom live up to the original.

That said, I would never refer to the original as bad. With all the advances in making movies especially with CGI, if you watch them now it may seem lame but I can still remember watching that movie in my teens with a bunch of friends and we all wished we were Mad Max.

Still a classic in my mind
Not unique but rare to have a better sequel.

It's not just the effects that make it inferior.

Better than a lot of other movies though.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 11:22 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13 View Post
.....shoestring, under $400K budget ..........With all the advances in making movies especially with CGI, if you watch them now it may seem lame
Its problems are not budget related, Although I wonder if most of the money went on the V8's. It makes reasonable use of resources, like having a derelict industrial area as the Justice Department.

Its things like poor editing and shot selection that lets it down, look at some of the fight scenes in that Justice Department courtyard. Heavy handed directing, think of the toddler crossing the street in the early car chase, like Battleship Potemkin had been watched the night before, and he was real keen that you did not miss it. Listen to the discordant music at odd moments in the story.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 12:33 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
I wouldn't put it in the same class as Rollerball. Haven't seen the Rutger Hauer one.
Rollerball was (is) an excellent film. The real one that is, not the "new" one.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 6:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno - Rurôni Kenshin: Kyôto Taika-hen (2014) - IMDb

Japanese samurai type fighting movie.

Basically, one bloke was a government killer now wants to take down the country and a bit evil. Another chap is a fighter who has vowed never to kill again, ending up having to fight his own demons to try and save the country.

Anyway, the storyline drags on a bit and is a bit windy but it's quite intriguing and sets things up nicely as well as having some great battles.

There's supposedly another movie coming out that's a continuation at some point.

Worth a punt if you light sword fighting.

8/10
Rurouni Kenshin

The first movie, before the above, that's about the main chap and why he ends up being a fighter who doesn't kill.

Got it from the library and really enjoyed it. Still a bit of a silly story but some amazingly cool sword fights.

No idea how it stacks up against the comic, mind but it's certainly worth a punt.

8/10
Old Jan 10th 2015, 4:07 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

American Sniper

American Sniper (2014) - IMDb

True story based on the life of Chris Kyle, credited as the sniper with the most kills on the battlefield.
Directed by Clint Eastwood.

7/10. Didn't realise it was a true story until the end.

Already got 2 BAFTA nominations, and likely to get some Oscar ones, particularly as the US left Afghanistan last year.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 5:35 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Its problems are not budget related, Although I wonder if most of the money went on the V8's. It makes reasonable use of resources, like having a derelict industrial area as the Justice Department.

Its things like poor editing and shot selection that lets it down, look at some of the fight scenes in that Justice Department courtyard. Heavy handed directing, think of the toddler crossing the street in the early car chase, like Battleship Potemkin had been watched the night before, and he was real keen that you did not miss it. Listen to the discordant music at odd moments in the story.
In all honesty Mad Max was George Miller's first film having shifted from medicine personally it's a film I always enjoy watching but it has been good watching the franchise evolve. That said the trailers of the up coming version have put me off as it all just looked a bit ott, the whole idea of the gritty grainy nature of the old films rounded them off well.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 7:45 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Time Lapse

A time machine movie. The premise was good but it was a little slow and fell a little short for me.

I didn't predict the ending so I'll give it a 6/10. The GF fell asleep and gave it a 4/10
Old Jan 11th 2015, 6:41 pm
Up Your Kilt

Under the Skin

Supposedly a science fiction thriller starring Scarlett Johansson.

Reviews:
85% Rotten Tomatoes
78% Metacritic
4/4 Roger Ebert
6.3/10 IMDb

Seriously! This movie is soooo slooow and boring that we fast forwarded through it and you could still understand what was going on. Absolute rubbish. Not even Scarlett Johansson being nude could salvage this one.

0/10

Last edited by Hawk13; Jan 11th 2015 at 6:48 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 9:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Bit slow off the mark, but finally saw the second Hobbit movie and thought it was a bit weak.

Probably didn't help that I didn't see it on the big screen, nor having such a long break since the first one. Either way, it felt rather sluggish and dull, till things kicked off towards the end.

5/10

Did see the third one though and liked that, but didn't see it in 3D and I think it might have lost some of the magic. Glad I saw the second one before hand though as this rolled straight off that. Much more entertaining movie and didnt' feel as sluggish or as long, with far more action and the big show down towards the end was pretty nice.

Nice bits and pieces that tie into the Rings trilogy too.

This is worth the punt, but possibly helps if you sucked it up and saw the middle bit first.

7/10

Kids and the missus saw Big Hero Six and surprisingly, the missus said she really enjoyed it and the kids loved it. Some great characters and some cheesy jokes with a lot of action and nothing grim for little eyes. I think this might have been cool in 3D too but only saw it in 2D.

8/10 from the missus.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Bit slow off the mark, but finally saw the second Hobbit movie and thought it was a bit weak.

Probably didn't help that I didn't see it on the big screen, nor having such a long break since the first one. Either way, it felt rather sluggish and dull, till things kicked off towards the end.

5/10

Did see the third one though and liked that, but didn't see it in 3D and I think it might have lost some of the magic. Glad I saw the second one before hand though as this rolled straight off that. Much more entertaining movie and didnt' feel as sluggish or as long, with far more action and the big show down towards the end was pretty nice.

Nice bits and pieces that tie into the Rings trilogy too.

This is worth the punt, but possibly helps if you sucked it up and saw the middle bit first.

7/10
I saw (was dragged by the g/f...) the third movie on the big screen over Christmas; was just about OK. The second one, I saw (like you) on the TV, and I was utterly bored other than appreciating the dragon. All three Hobbit movies are just variations on the Lord Of The Rings movies.

What is sad to me is that the original book was an absolute delight - first as a child, later as an adult. The movies seem to have become obsessed with battle scenes. I wish they had focused more on the 'wonder' that the original book had. I personally prefer the Hobbit book to the LOTR books.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a few:
Ghost Rider - A very bad film all the way through, even before Nicholas Cage eventually appears. Very little between scenes makes logical sense, absolutely no chemistry between any of the characters. Several city blocks blow up and the police are utterly convinced he did it because they find his license plate amongst the wreckage (he did, but that's not the point). A truly terrible movie in every way, except that some of the cgi is okay. Only a fews notches short of The Happening on the scale of badness because the story is more cohesive.

Thor: The Dark World - It's pretty good but a bit meh for most of the time. All the best bits were in the trailer. Loki is still awesome.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Good. Solid all round except for a few minor plot holes.

The Prestige - Good. Made the mistake of watching it with my wife, who hates movies like that (have to think AND there might not be a happy ending?). Seriously screwed up people, which appears worse and worse right up to the end.

Looper - Good. Made sure I didn't think to much about possible paradoxes (and made sure my wife didn't watch it with me)
Old Jan 12th 2015, 11:38 pm
Up Your Kilt

Originally Posted by Anian View Post

The Prestige - Good. Made the mistake of watching it with my wife, who hates movies like that (have to think AND there might not be a happy ending?). Seriously screwed up people, which appears worse and worse right up to the end.

Looper - Good. Made sure I didn't think to much about possible paradoxes (and made sure my wife didn't watch it with me)
Those were both good movies
Old Jan 14th 2015, 7:29 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian View Post
Here's a few:
Ghost Rider - A very bad film all the way through, even before Nicholas Cage eventually appears. Very little between scenes makes logical sense, absolutely no chemistry between any of the characters. Several city blocks blow up and the police are utterly convinced he did it because they find his license plate amongst the wreckage (he did, but that's not the point). A truly terrible movie in every way, except that some of the cgi is okay. Only a fews notches short of The Happening on the scale of badness because the story is more cohesive.

Thor: The Dark World - It's pretty good but a bit meh for most of the time. All the best bits were in the trailer. Loki is still awesome.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Good. Solid all round except for a few minor plot holes.

Wait till you watch Predestination it's an adaptation of one of Heinlein's short stories "All you Zombies" and the whole story revolves around paradox probably not the best one of his books they could have adapted to film and be sure to lock the wife out the lounge when you watch it it will be more confusing than the Matrix for her.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 11:52 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static View Post
Matrix
That was a couple of hours I wish I could have gotten back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.