Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Movie Reviews

Movie Reviews

Old Jan 4th 2015, 8:18 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movie Reviews

Mad Max

In anticipation of the new Mad Max, out in May, I thought I'd give the old movies a watch. Thought I'd start at the start with Mad Max itself. Mistake. I had never seen the original, oh God its bad, everything about it is bad. When your watching a movie and noticing things like, the editing isnt very good, you know you got a lemon. The music is down right awful also. Anyway, I should have just given it a miss and gone with Mad Max 2.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 5:24 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Mad Max

In anticipation of the new Mad Max, out in May, I thought I'd give the old movies a watch. Thought I'd start at the start with Mad Max itself. Mistake. I had never seen the original, oh God its bad, everything about it is bad. When your watching a movie and noticing things like, the editing isnt very good, you know you got a lemon. The music is down right awful also. Anyway, I should have just given it a miss and gone with Mad Max 2.
Seriously? That movie is a classic.

Right up there with Rollerball and Rutger Hauer's The Blood of Heroes
Old Jan 4th 2015, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13 View Post

You jest.

2 is good.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 5:36 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
You jest.

2 is good.
Agreed. The first one is really cheesy
Old Jan 4th 2015, 7:29 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Point out one good thing about it.
Mad max 2 it is not.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 8:32 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
You jest.
Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Agreed. The first one is really cheesy
Jest? Cheesy? One thing good?

Quite serious. Can't believe you lot are comparing a 2014 movie to a 1979, low budget movie that became a top-grossing Australian film, holding the Guinness record for most profitable film for decades and has been credited for further opening up the global market to Australian New Wave films.

No accounting for taste
Old Jan 4th 2015, 9:20 pm
Fair and balanced

Quite serious. Can't believe you lot are comparing a 2014 movie to a 1979, low budget movie that became a top-grossing Australian film, holding the Guinness record for most profitable film for decades and has been credited for further opening up the global market to Australian New Wave films.

No accounting for taste
No one is comparing any 2014 movies to Mad Max. And nothing you wrote is discussing the attributes of the move in question. I am still open to being persuaded about the movies qualities that you see.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 9:23 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

No accounting for taste
I always wondered how they were able to get the next 2 funded after the first one. Obviously it worked out, but 2 and 3 are the better movies,with in my opinion, 2 being the best
Old Jan 4th 2015, 9:32 pm
Fair and balanced

Mad Max was a decade late and dollar short. Compare it revenge budget movies of 1971 like First House on the Left and it comes second best, compare it to a dystopian movie also of 1971 like Clockwork Orange and it is second best by a long way.
Mad Max2 added something new and exciting, Mad Max one, just made the sequel possible, no mean success in itself I suppose.
But Hawk, I am keen to hear your spin on it.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 9:37 pm
Up Your Kilt

No one is comparing any 2014 movies to Mad Max. And nothing you wrote is discussing the attributes of the move in question. I am still open to being persuaded about the movies qualities that you see.
Mad max 2 it is not.
Really? Not sure how else you would take "mad max 2 it is not".

On attributes of a movie and trying to persuade someone to change their opinion is kinda bollocks ain't it. You either like the movie or you don't, different strokes for different folks.

Try the other two movies I listed and if you don't like them either then at least you know not to bother with any movies I may like.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Mad Max was a decade late and dollar short. Compare it revenge budget movies of 1971 like First House on the Left and it comes second best, compare it to a dystopian movie also of 1971 like Clockwork Orange and it is second best by a long way.
Mad Max2 added something new and exciting, Mad Max one, just made the sequel possible, no mean success in itself I suppose.
But Hawk, I am keen to hear your spin on it.
I wouldn't put it in the same class as Rollerball. Haven't seen the Rutger Hauer one.

I'm not saying it's totally awful but it's very basic.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 9:43 pm
Fair and balanced

On attributes of a movie and trying to persuade someone to change their opinion is kinda bollocks ain't it. You either like the movie or you don't, different strokes for different folks.

Try the other two movies I listed and if you don't like them either then at least you know not to bother with any movies I may like.
Mad Max 2 is from 1981, and is a classic. Maybe you have been getting the two films mixed up?
Old Jan 4th 2015, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We're talking about the 1981 film.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 9:51 pm
Fair and balanced

Most of the time it is bollocks, but cinema is a language, and sometimes I dont see what others see, cultural link I need making for me. I've changed my mind a few times, when I've had thing pointed out to me. Things I didnt know, things I've missed.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 10:36 pm
Up Your Kilt

Mad Max 2 is from 1981, and is a classic. Maybe you have been getting the two films mixed up?
My bad. Reread the threads. You are correct as my brain had translated your reference of Mad Max 2 as the new Mad Max.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.