Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Movie Reviews

Movie Reviews

Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movie recommendations

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Juno
Just got back from the cinema, watched Juno, its a really good, cute, funny movie. 2 thumbs up
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:54 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

"1 Night in Paris"

This video offcourse is a curiosity item. To compare it to scripted movies is not the thing one should do. This is a nothing more than an amateur home video, so don't expect better quality then the average "America's Funniest Home Video"

The synapsis of the plot is rather empty... much like the mind of one of the main characters. There is a reoccuring distraction of the main characters having freaky eyes in much of the scenes. That aside, this is a fun tape to watch. Instead of improvised sound editing and bad acting, we get to see two people having fun with each other in a very natural way; Blair Witch would be jeolous.

Widescreen Edition is not needed.

Siskel: Ebert:
Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:42 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Amazing, amazing movie... and I never want to see it again. I found it unbearably heartbreaking.
It definitely was that, but I do think it was a very positive film in a way (not sure if I'm weird in that respect) so I could easily see it again and plan to.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme View Post
Wifey and I rented Stardust - it was AWESOME.

Anything that has Robert De Niro as a gay pirate has to be good.
watched it on your recommendation... not bad, was definately a kids movie that parents would like...
Old Jan 9th 2008, 3:24 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the movies Sunday and saw 'Atonement'. That movie was very well done and hit home for me, meaning it was quite cathartic. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ugacrew View Post
I went to the movies Sunday and saw 'Atonement'. That movie was very well done and hit home for me, meaning it was quite cathartic. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.
310 to yuma is out on DVD now, i highly recommend it!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Movie recommendations

"War" (Jet Li) is pretty good, with a nice twist at the end. "The Kingdom" was good too. "National Treasure, Book of Secrets" was fairly good too. Nick Cage is a pretty good actor.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Movie recommendations

Originally Posted by basementwaj View Post
310 to yuma is out on DVD now, i highly recommend it!
I saw that, was'nt too impressed with it. Remakes are'nt always as good as the original.

Last edited by kingfisher241049; Jan 9th 2008 at 5:02 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 5:40 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin View Post
If you're looking for a feelgood film, don't go and see "I am Legend". I saw it Boxing Day and it was so depressing and dark, I nearly walked out.
Originally Posted by Rete View Post
My sister was saying just this evening that her friend walked of out I am Legend because of the gore but her friend's husband remained and liked it.
its a EOTWAWKI survival film with a killer virus and killer vampire zombies

of course its going to be dark

I liked it apart from some stupid things will smiths character did like keep running out of ammo, not going on vampire eradication sprees like the original film and not carrying a backup pistol on him

but then again, i'm probably the exact demographic the films is designed to appeal to...
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN View Post
its a EOTWAWKI survival film with a killer virus and killer vampire zombies

of course its going to be dark

I liked it apart from some stupid things will smiths character did like keep running out of ammo, not going on vampire eradication sprees like the original film and not carrying a backup pistol on him

but then again, i'm probably the exact demographic the films is designed to appeal to...
watched sunshine thismorning... what a pile of shite! A real Event Horizon wannabe. AVOID.
The Kingdom is a good movie, Kingfisher is right
Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ugacrew View Post
I went to see Atonement with the missus. I thought it was pretty good. The Dunkirk scenes were filmed where I grew up, so that added an extra dimension for me. There was a very surreal moment where the main character is stood in front of a cinema screen looking out at the audience - suddenly I'm sat in a cinema in Texas, looking through the screen at the seats in the cinema where I used sit as a kid looking back at the screen...
Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:55 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scorchio View Post
I went to see Atonement with the missus. I thought it was pretty good. The Dunkirk scenes were filmed where I grew up, so that added an extra dimension for me. There was a very surreal moment where the main character is stood in front of a cinema screen looking out at the audience - suddenly I'm sat in a cinema in Texas, looking through the screen at the seats in the cinema where I used sit as a kid looking back at the screen...
Wow! That must have been quite trippy. I would have flipped my lid on that one. Kudos for you sitting through an almost chick-flick.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 4:51 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Movie recommendations

I saw Atonement this past Saturday. Wow! What a stunning film. The story is very strong and is utterly gripping. The actors give excellent performances too. The ending is not quite what I expected though.

It's a really moving story and I hope the cinematographer gets an Oscar. I also enjoyed hearing the British English colloquialisms, some of which are rather dated but still very British.

I swear I recognized the church in the wedding scene. I think it's the one down Curzon St. in Mayfair. I used to work around there.

I really want to read the book that the movie's based on. I'm sure it's an excellent read.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin View Post

I really want to read the book that the movie's based on. I'm sure it's an excellent read.
It supposedly is, the missus is reading it...quite wordy in a Jane Austen fashion though in some respects.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movie Reviews

It's a couple of years old, but we just saw We Are Marshall, it's about the college football team that got wiped out in the plane crash in 1970.

It's quite a sad story, goes into how they rebuilt the team, even though they ended up not being as good as they were for many years, just that the spirit was needed, well worth a watch, even if you don't like the sport because there's isn't as much of an emphasis on the game as I thought, but more on the social side.

8/10

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.