Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Mental Health II

Mental Health II

Old Feb 23rd 2021, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental Health II

"The Trudeau government has agreed with the Senate that Canadians suffering solely from grievous and incurable mental illnesses should be entitled to medical assistance in dying — but not for another two years."

Assisted dying law currently excludes mentally ill if they are not suffering from a physical ailment that qualifies.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mai...ents-1.5924163
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Comparison of a proper BPD program vs the only option available to those who cannot self pay in BC.

5 to 8 groups per week + 15 hours of non-clinical activities overseen by a case manager.

1 to 2 times per week with a therapist/psychologist for 1 hour in addition to 30 minutes per week with case manager.

Patients are also assigned a psychopharmacologist.

Family is assigned a family therapist to help family better understand how to provide support.

Group + therapy 15 to 20 hours per week.

Now this is what is offered in the public system where I live, note the above is in the US as there is no comparable program in Canada at all.

1 group per per week for 90 minutes.

No family support, no support with non-clinical goals, no access to a psychologist, limited access to social worker during the group.

And they wonder why there is such a low success rate, its not a situation where something is better than nothing its just a way the government can say, hey we offer something even if its not effective for a good % of people.

Old Feb 25th 2021, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If people had access to supports society would be so much better off, and people would be happier and more productive and society better overall rather than pushing people like me to the fringes where we cannot even meet our basic needs because rent, food, and everything has gotten to a point where those in my shoes have no chance in this world, and I give up.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Trying to see if the government employment services office has any help, last I checked with them was a year and some change ago according to my online account, maybe with COVID there are some programs that didn't exist then, but still may require having been laid off or on employment insurance, who knows but worth checking out anyhow.

May not apply to other countries but the under $27 per hour working group has been most effected by COVID employment wise and still face the biggest uphill battle for finding employment and keeping it, the middle wage jobs 28 to 41 per hour were not affected much at all, and the highest earning levels $41 per hour and more actually saw net gains in employment which has made the employment situation look better than it is in reality, not much chance many in the $27 and under wage group qualify for the highest wage group $41 and over per hour.

According to the government statistics anyhow.

Sucks at about this time last year I had been offered a job, and was set to go for training middle of March then of course this stupid virus caused the world to lock down and massive unemployment which changed the trajectory in a negative direction, getting it to change back into a positive direction has been a massive hurdle, even getting interviews is near impossible, especially when all your work experience is in hotels, and airline industry of which have been decimated over the last year, not much demand in retail anymore either with limited retail job options.

Usually the boards have a healthy mix of jobs from low skill to high skill, but the last 6 months especially its been mostly higher skill jobs and there are days where there isn't even anything to apply to, and well hard to find a job when there isn't even much to apply to.

Indeed often shows how many applied and goodness some postings indeed shows 300-400 people having applied, and a good % of the time my resume isn't even reviewed, but if I were doing hiring and got that many, I would basically open the first 20 and likely never read beyond that.

Maybe 2022 will bring better luck and some economic recovery.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Interesting. Wont replace therapy for BPD of course, you can't medicate away Borderline.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Feb 26th 2021 at 12:01 am.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 12:18 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Interesting. Wont replace therapy for BPD of course, you can't medicate away Borderline.
How odd. I had no idea. Apparently it's used for all sort of thing.. I just associated it with labour being brought on at 90 miles an hour

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/275795
Old Feb 26th 2021, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I had to google it, first thing in my mind was the pain killer with a similiar name. BPD research is a couple decades behind most mental disorders, its still really underfunded and while it affects more people than other better funded disorders, it still face major stigma and funding to do research.

By the time research catches up and they know more it will be too late for me as I will old, but at least those born today hopefully will face less of a battle by the time they become teens/young adults and will have more options, the other hurdle is to get the minimum age of diagnoses removed, currently the book psychiatrists use say not to diagnose until after 18, but people with BPD often start showing symptoms far younger, if young people could be diagnosed earlier and access the treatment they need they may by the time they are 18 be able to live a functional and successful life, research has shown the younger treatment begins the high probability of recovery.

For me I likely will never recover but therapy would help with coping and provide the necessary support to at least have a quality life.

I often worry because of the history within the family, especially after 50, things haven't turned out well for many in my family once they go to their 50's and its a big worry for me.

Best case scenario for us at this point is hoping a subsidized housing unit becomes available, at least the rent would be geared to our income so $570 per month which would be a huge stress reliever, the amount of stress that would be lifted to have rent that was inline with income would be amazing.

It's pretty clear at this point neither my wife or I will find success in employment to a point where we can earn enough, so next best option subsidized housing, but it may not happen until we are 55, we are on actual waitlists for buildings now vs just being on the main registry so that is an improvement, but the wait list isn't first come first served, so there is no way for them to even give any time frame, could be tomorrow could be 10 years from now. They were able to tell us that the last time a unit was available in 2 of the buildings was 3 and 4 years ago, so turn over is pretty low, basically need to wait until someone dies and vacates.

I am probably a little more loopy due to coming off an SSRI (under the doctors supervision not cold turkey) as I have been on it a couple years now and reached the maximum therapeutic dose and since it (like every other medication I have been on) didn't work, its either take a medication that is providing no benefit, or come off it, but coming off an SSRI isn't fun, at least for me, I get a lot of discontinuation symptoms even going down in small steps with the doctor following which is not pleasent at all, especially the brain zaps.

But its like the 10th of 11th time I have done this so at least its not a surprise and I knew it what coming.

I don't think its available in Canada but some in the US who have been able to access supervised ketamine injections who have BPD have reported some improvement in how they feel, its a pretty interesting topic on some BPD forums, I don't believe its FDA approved for it, but there is some off label use and some of the research does look promising.

One upside to the US system, people have access to some cutting edge treatment options.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
How odd. I had no idea. Apparently it's used for all sort of thing.. I just associated it with labour being brought on at 90 miles an hour

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/275795

Last edited by Jsmth321; Feb 26th 2021 at 2:16 am.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 2:19 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I had to google it, first thing in my mind was the pain killer with a similiar name. BPD research is a couple decades behind most mental disorders, its still really underfunded and while it affects more people than other better funded disorders, it still face major stigma and funding to do research.

By the time research catches up and they know more it will be too late for me as I will old, but at least those born today hopefully will face less of a battle by the time they become teens/young adults and will have more options, the other hurdle is to get the minimum age of diagnoses removed, currently the book psychiatrists use say not to diagnose until after 18, but people with BPD often start showing symptoms far younger, if young people could be diagnosed earlier and access the treatment they need they may by the time they are 18 be able to live a functional and successful life, research has shown the younger treatment begins the high probability of recovery.

For me I likely will never recover but therapy would help with coping and provide the necessary support to at least have a quality life.

I often worry because of the history within the family, especially after 50, things haven't turned out well for many in my family once they go to their 50's and its a big worry for me.

Best case scenario for us at this point is hoping a subsidized housing unit becomes available, at least the rent would be geared to our income so $570 per month which would be a huge stress reliever, the amount of stress that would be lifted to have rent that was inline with income would be amazing.

It's pretty clear at this point neither my wife or I will find success in employment to a point where we can earn enough, so next best option subsidized housing, but it may not happen until we are 55, we are on actual waitlists for buildings now vs just being on the main registry so that is an improvement, but the wait list isn't first come first served, so there is no way for them to even give any time frame, could be tomorrow could be 10 years from now. They were able to tell us that the last time a unit was available in 2 of the buildings was 3 and 4 years ago, so turn over is pretty low, basically need to wait until someone dies and vacates.

I am probably a little more loopy due to coming off an SSRI (under the doctors supervision not cold turkey) as I have been on it a couple years now and reached the maximum therapeutic dose and since it (like every other medication I have been on) didn't work, its either take a medication that is providing no benefit, or come off it, but coming off an SSRI isn't fun, at least for me, I get a lot of discontinuation symptoms even going down in small steps with the doctor following which is not pleasent at all, especially the brain zaps.

But its like the 10th of 11th time I have done this so at least its not a surprise and I knew it what coming.

I don't think its available in Canada but some in the US who have been able to access supervised ketamine injections who have BPD have reported some improvement in how they feel, its a pretty interesting topic on some BPD forums, I don't believe its FDA approved for it, but there is some off label use and some of the research does look promising.

One upside to the US system, people have access to some cutting edge treatment options.
Someone I know found that a high quality cbd oil liquid helped with the withdrawal symptoms. Have you tried that?

Good luck with the housing.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Someone I know found that a high quality cbd oil liquid helped with the withdrawal symptoms. Have you tried that?

Good luck with the housing.
I've never tried it no. I guess I could, might help.

Thanks. If only the Canadian Government hadn't spent the last 30 some odd years ignoring social housing and stayed proactive, things wouldn't have gotten to the point they have. In BC alone just to clear the back log we need 80,000 affordable units to be built, then 10,000 a year just to keep pace with demand.

In most of BC those making below 41,000 or 51,000 a year cannot afford rent using the governments definition that rent should be no more than 30% of gross income. They keep tearing down older more affordable 4 and 5 story walk ups, to build 30 floor high rise condos that then sell for 600,000+ and its been this way for 2 decades at least now, and they wonder why the rental situation got so bad and unhealthy.

Wife and I are just not in the right demographics to get housing realistically soon, sucks but only so much to go around, and as long as we are housed even if it took 100% of our income, we are considered low priority, although we are not at 100% our rent even though its lower then it was eats 75% of our total income ( disability income is non-taxable luckily) which isn't sustainable.

https://www.bchousing.org/research-centre/facts-stats (government housing site)

https://bcnpha.ca/wp_bcnpha/wp-conte...using_Plan.pdf (this is a pdf a non-profit group with their plan, so not official)

Old Feb 26th 2021, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Would be nice if MIL and my family understood that subsidized housing is not guaranteed, and being on a wait list does not guarantee securing a unit at any point. And one still needs to keep their other options open in the event it never happens.

I guess most people don't have experience with the system and government websites tend to make people believe there is more help than there really is, government websites tend not to mention the 10+ year wait list.

Kind of realized today that I have nobody in my life at any point really that has been supportive of anything I do or try, get a hobby and they complain, do nothing and they complain, no wonder I find it so difficult to overcome anything, I am greatly lacking support and guess 40 some odd years of always being put down, its just keeps a person down.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Feb 26th 2021 at 8:53 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2021, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Default Mental Health II

Another failure of the broken mental health system in Canada.

"After her teenage daughter died by suicide, a New Brunswick mom is embracing support received on social media. And she’s calling for change."

https://globalnews.ca/news/7665498/l...medium=Twitter

Last edited by Jsmth321; Feb 27th 2021 at 4:08 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2021, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am not sure what to do. I can't live another 20-30 years like this. I get no enjoyment from life at all. I would rate enjoyment level at 0.

Living with another person is trying at best of times but right now near impossible which is leading to a poor living situation but I am trapped in it and have no way out to get some peace for a few months.

Old Feb 28th 2021, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Turns out small living spaces is not so great for psychological health or relationships, so I wonder why we are migrating to smaller and smaller housing space?
Old Feb 28th 2021, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

For those not familiar with the Canadian healthcare system its very outdated and by outdated I don't mean in technology and medical advances but as in what is covered.

50+ years ago when the system was designed mental disorders were largely not as treatable and treatment consisted primarily of hospitalization, medication and psychiatrists and so that is what has led to 2021 with those 3 being the only services really covered coast to coast.

There is very limited services within the public system for therapy and other mental healthcare.

Unlike some other countries with universal healthcare or single payer, Canada doesn't allow what most would call a private option, we are single payer system and only a single payer system, one cannot opt out of it and get private insurance.

Sure we have extended health insurance many get via employer benefits that help cover things not covered by the healthcare system, but the annual caps are so low for mental health services for many that they become entirely useless really. (example $300 maximum per year for my last extended health, 1 session with a psychologist is $200.)

There is unfortunately no desire within Canada for change, even the mention of reforming the healthcare system will get insults hurled at you about wanting to Americanize the system even though its very clearly failing more and more people by the year.

Because of the backlash politicians would face by even mentioning major reform, they are all unwilling to change things, even if change meant for the better.

Canada is failing its residents by not having a comprehensive mental health system, which would include psychologists and therapists, psychiatrists in Canada do not provide therapy, they treat with medication and only medication and if you have a complex disorder where there is no medication, psychiatrists pretty much tell you nothing they can do, find a psychologist.

Only way to help in Canada is being wealthy or at least high enough income to have disposable income, pretty sad only those with wealthy enough parents or good jobs can access mental healthcare in Canada, money should not be a barrier to people getting the help and support they need.

In some ways the Canadian system is actually worse than the US system, it leaves so much uncovered far more uncovered than the US system typically does with insurance. Just sad really.

<<<SNIP>>>

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 28th 2021 at 2:37 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2021, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And skills can come into play too that prevents employment. Lack of skills is a big barrier for me. The skills that are in demand I lack, nobody currently needs anyone experienced in airline ground operations or hotel night auditing, both industries have been decimated, most of the job losses in Canada due to COVID have been in the under $27 per hour group, and low the wage the hard hit the job market is.

Most days these days there isn't even anything to apply to, hard to find a job when there aren't any listings. My experience is backed up by Stats Canada so its not something I am imagining.

I did try to go get some training, but unfortunately its not student loan eligible and so I can't go, only way to pay for school is via loans, but many vocational training programs for whatever reason are often not student loan eligible despite costing 9,000-10,000 for 6 months, not exactly something someone unemployed on disability can pay.

Would honestly think the government would do all they could to get people off disability, a hell of a lot cheaper over a persons lifetime to provide treatment + job training and pay taxes and contribute than the current method of providing nothing which really doesn't help people achieve their full potential.

Maybe the Work BC office will have some options that will lead to something, I have a phone intake next week.

If employers were willing to train there are probably a fair amount of jobs I could do, but so few places even willing to train these days.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Feb 28th 2021 at 7:16 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.