Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Mental Health II

Mental Health II

Old Feb 11th 2021, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental Health II

I can certainly say I have probably it rock bottom and not getting back out this time around.

I realize I will never have the support I need to recover, I don't have the life skills necessary to succeed, and living with another person like a spouse just makes things worse, its not a health relationship and one out of necessity since we cannot afford housing, in laws who are toxic and constantly put me down as well.

I started looking for professional help and trying to get in 11 years ago next month, I can at least say I tried, I went to ER's more than 4 dozen times between 3 hospitals in 2 provinces, along with local mental health offices, fact is in BC and much of Canada with a few exceptions the supports severe borderline, PTSD and other complex disorders just isn't there, and very likely never will be, complex disorders take time, energy and money and money part is something the government will never be willing to fund, its simply not an interest anyone within government has.

But with the system Canada has there is no middle ground like private insurance, sure there is extended health coverage but it covers very little for mental health services, all the plans I have ever had mental health was capped at $300-$400 per year, considering the cost for BPD treatment runs 1,200-1,300 per month, extended health is of no use, doesn't give one access to the supports and treatment they will need to succeed.

But 11 years is a good run, but I am throwing in the towel on this futile adventure, if the BC Gov't wants me to sit on PWD for life and not contribute anything that is their choice, all they needed to do was reform the mental health system so those like me actually have a chance at life rather than forcing us onto PWD to continue struggling and suffering often isolated and alone.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 16th 2021, 12:24 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time J.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 2:08 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I'm sorry you're having such a tough time J.

Agreed.

Mental health services are totally inadequate in many or even most places that I know of.

I also wonder what it is about our contemporary societies that is so inadequate in terms of mutual support, aside from the inadequate medical treatment. We have made great strides in including people with visible disabilities and health issues, but people with mental health issues are still feeling very isolated and in general unsupported and left out by the rest of us, not just the medical profession.

We need to do better.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes it is very inadequate. Its downright inaccessible in some places without having the ability to self finance. All boils down to money really.

If I won the lotto, I could literally be in treatment within a month.....but otherwise there is no hope since our healthcare system has chosen that mental health is in general not a priority. Government is good at spin though, we have had government in BC previously open new facilities, but then close older ones, and have a net loss of beds, but spin it as a positive, the system never really grows they just give the appearance that it does.

Modern society is also in many ways very isolating for many just even moreso when mental health issues are involved since most people wont be friends with, spend time with those with mental health issues so those suffering become more and more isolated simply because they are considered outcasts or on the fringe of society.

Maybe it's just human nature, maybe its our brains and they way they wired.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Agreed.

Mental health services are totally inadequate in many or even most places that I know of.

I also wonder what it is about our contemporary societies that is so inadequate in terms of mutual support, aside from the inadequate medical treatment. We have made great strides in including people with visible disabilities and health issues, but people with mental health issues are still feeling very isolated and in general unsupported and left out by the rest of us, not just the medical profession.

We need to do better.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

One of the hardest hurdles for mental health sufferers is gaps on the resume. Society wise employers are not at a point where you can say, "I was recovering from a manic episode and psychotic break" and it gets tricky to explain 2 or 3 year gaps without giving away too much into the reason, its unfortunate people cannot feel comfortable and safe telling employers but its pretty rare to find an open and accepting employer.

It's one big hurdle that keeps those with mental health under employed and unemployed.

Also annoys me the office that deals with disabled and disability benefits calls themselves the Ministry Of Poverty Reduction, when all the benefits they provide are well below the poverty line, well duh how can you reduce poverty by keeping people in poverty?
Old Feb 18th 2021, 11:35 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

One of the hardest hurdles for mental health sufferers is gaps on the resume. Society wise employers are not at a point where you can say, "I was recovering from a manic episode and psychotic break" and it gets tricky to explain 2 or 3 year gaps without giving away too much into the reason, its unfortunate people cannot feel comfortable and safe telling employers but its pretty rare to find an open and accepting employer.

It's one big hurdle that keeps those with mental health under employed and unemployed.

Also annoys me the office that deals with disabled and disability benefits calls themselves the Ministry Of Poverty Reduction, when all the benefits they provide are well below the poverty line, well duh how can you reduce poverty by keeping people in poverty?

The resume gap thing needs dealing with, but it's very difficult. In the US they couldn't ask you if you were ill or what you were ill with, but that wouldn't stop them from binning your resume before you even get an interview. Have you tried a skills-based resume rather than a chronological one?
Old Feb 19th 2021, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
The resume gap thing needs dealing with, but it's very difficult. In the US they couldn't ask you if you were ill or what you were ill with, but that wouldn't stop them from binning your resume before you even get an interview. Have you tried a skills-based resume rather than a chronological one?

I have tried every variation of resumes I could find.

The post wasn't specific to me, I was speaking in general to try and raise some awareness on the topic. My wife happened to be talking to a HR person and they were asking about her 3 year gap and what she was doing. The real answer is recovering from a severe manic episode resulting in a hospitalization and 1 1/2 year recovery to get back to baseline.

The answer provided was, my husband was working and I didn't work during that time frame. I used to use travelling when younger and my gaps were only a couple months, but once you get into years long gaps its become trickier for sure.

Yes not allowed to ask about things like health directly here either, but companies are not required to interview you, good luck proving they chose not to interview you due to protected grounds, unless the company says "hey we chose not to interview you because we feel your mentally ill or color of skin or family status" pretty much impossible to prove.
Old Feb 19th 2021, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Same about age, you think they can not add up?

Last job interview I did towards they mentioned there was a drugs test, new I was home and dry. The location and type of job eliminated most of the possible competition.

I suppose what happens if there is an excess of applicants they take the easy route and bin anybody different. So you never get a chance. I have no idea what the solution is. Covid does not help, I was talking to someone, by phone, sounded like the only human contact they get apart from food shopping.

Old Feb 19th 2021, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Same about age, you think they can not add up?

Last job interview I did towards they mentioned there was a drugs test, new I was home and dry. The location and type of job eliminated most of the possible competition.

I suppose what happens if there is an excess of applicants they take the easy route and bin anybody different. So you never get a chance. I have no idea what the solution is. Covid does not help, I was talking to someone, by phone, sounded like the only human contact they get apart from food shopping.
Age certainly doesn't help, sure the laws say companies can discriminate against you based on age if over 40, but difficult to prove a company chose not to hire because of age.

Schooling too, so many financial aid programs are limited to 30 and under making it difficult to get retraining as there isn't a lot for the 30 to 50 age range, once over 50 there is a bit of older adult training programs, but not many for those like me, too old for youth and too too young for older adult programs.

If we had a kid we both would be eligible for retraining through disability program, but since we don't have a kid we do not qualify for said program, having a good would also get us into affordable housing.

Man maybe having a kid is the answer....(joking, we are not able to have a kid even if we wanted to have kids.)

But then how viable is it to start a career mid 50's? I dunno.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Feb 19th 2021 at 2:08 am.
Old Feb 19th 2021, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Age certainly doesn't help, sure the laws say companies can discriminate against you based on age if over 40, but difficult to prove a company chose not to hire because of age.

Schooling too, so many financial aid programs are limited to 30 and under making it difficult to get retraining as there isn't a lot for the 30 to 50 age range, once over 50 there is a bit of older adult training programs, but not many for those like me, too old for youth and too too young for older adult programs.

If we had a kid we both would be eligible for retraining through disability program, but since we don't have a kid we do not qualify for said program, having a good would also get us into affordable housing.

Man maybe having a kid is the answer....(joking, we are not able to have a kid even if we wanted to have kids.)

But then how viable is it to start a career mid 50's? I dunno.
As a general comment, very difficult, I know a few who managed it and know a lot who would like to but can not make it work. Counting the days until retirement and hangin on.

Old Feb 19th 2021, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Another hurdle is its near impossible at least in BC to get consistent psychiatric care, the whole system is so overwhelmed, even the people who work within it become frustrated as they can't provide the support and time people need.

GP's are scared to walk on psychiatrists so even going to your GP about medications prescribed by a psychiatrist is basically a waste of time. A psychiatrist will see someone for an hour and prescribe a list of medications without any follow up because its a one off appointment.

Such a frustrating system that has been created and really is dysfunctional to the core.

I should also add GP's often have little knowledge of the medications people might be taking for mental health, my wife's current medication is causing issues, can't get an appointment with a psychiatrist not even the one who prescribed it, GP's she has spoken to at walk in clinics haven't heard of the medication or don't know what to do, pharmacists refer patient back to the doctor who isn't accessible, mental health clinic nurses can't do anything.

It's a messed up system, needs to be a way for patients to either access psychiatrists easier or give nurses more training and have some sort of fill in gap between a nurse and doctor, because doctors are so in demand they just cannot keep up with it and when an issue arises with medication its very difficult to access a doctor.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Feb 19th 2021 at 7:30 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2021, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In some ways psychiatry is going back in time medication wise, turns out the newer medications have less side effects but are less effective at controlling the condition itself.

Old Feb 22nd 2021, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

People really need to understand their snide remarks really do a lot of harm to people in precarious mental health who just need support and not snide unsupportive comments.

Nobody would ever tell a cancer patients some of the things I have been told by some on this website. Remember this if you wouldn't say something to a cancer patient you shouldn't say it to someone with a mental illness either.

It's not like I got this bad overnight, it took decades, but I am to a point where I cannot function on my own and deal with everything on my own, I wish I was that strong but I am not. I don't always convey well just about bad things have gotten for me mental healthwise add in the financial burdens of life, and having to be the sole support of a spouse on the cliff of falling into a psychotic episode and it become a little much at times for me.

Not like I haven't tried over the years.

I have gone to ER's more times than I can count asking for help.
I have exhausted the free counselling list by calling them, but surprise surprise organizations with limited funding don't have the time, resources or staff to deal with complex disorders like BPD and PTSD even at times.
Psychiatrists just tell me to find BPD treatment program that is the extend of their help, oh damn why didn't I just think of that. Well I'd have been in treatment 10+ years ago if the moronic healthcare system covered it.

As for skills, I have tried to go back to school even had a program picked out and everything, but being that it's a short term continuing education program its not eligible for student loans, no access to student loans means no access to training. The entire system is not designed with low income people in mind, its easy to tell someone to just go to school, but school isn't free, and many many short term vocational training is not student loan eligible because they are too short, or only part-time which opens another can, if I go to school full-time we lose our disability income because being a full-time student makes one ineligible for assistance.

It's the most bucked up system that could have been created that keeps people down, the disability system is punitive in nature in the sense they will cut off assistance when trying to better your life to get off assistance such as going to school full-time, oh just go part-time you say, well majority of the vocational training is full-time with no part-time option.

Many look at colleges from an academic view point working on a degree, and while these schools offer degree programs too, vocational training isn't the same, doesn't have the same financial aid available and is less flexible since many times your learning on the job, so the class is built around the operating hours of the organization you are learning at, in the case of the program I was looking at, would be spending 40 hours a week in a hospital learning for 4-5 months than hopefully hired casual once done.

One thing I am not is a miracle worker and expecting people with little to no resources to to create miracles isn't remotely realistic especially so in a system that is built to be punitive rather than lifting people up.

Keep this in mind, the Ministry that handles assistance is called The Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction, the government changed the name to remove housing since they don't actually assist with housing and added poverty reduction.

Every level of assistance provided by this ministry is far below the BC poverty level, now ask yourself this, is the route to reducing poverty providing assistance financially that is below the poverty level and creating a punitive system that penalizes people from bettering their life and encourages people not to try to better their lives because by doing so they risk their assistance and may end up worse off in the end?

Sure if someone goes to school, and becomes productive and consistently earns over time reduce the assistance in steps, but its an all or nothing system at the moment, is it realistic to pull someone's assistance fully at once just because they went to school full-time and then expect that person to actually succeed?

Old Feb 23rd 2021, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My brain is so like this. I can remember the most useless of things, but anything I actually need to remember I struggle with... Caused more by the ADHD then the BPD. (I don't take medications for the ADHD has doctors and myself have decided the risks outweigh the benefits for me.) I was on medications in the 80's as a kid for a few years, oddly those years I had the best grades too....

She makes learning about ADHD fun.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Feb 23rd 2021 at 6:58 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.