Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Mental Health II

Mental Health II

Old Feb 1st 2021, 10:47 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alarming numbers around men's mental health in Canada

Somewhere along the line there will be the alarming numbers of women who are being routinely domestically abused too. I know... I see them on a daily basis...C19 is changing our perception of the world...
Old Feb 1st 2021, 10:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mental Health II

Originally Posted by MillieF View Post
Somewhere along the line there will be the alarming numbers of women who are being routinely domestically abused too. I know... I see them on a daily basis...C19 is changing our perception of the world...
Yup...men aren’t the only one who have mental health problems.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 12:02 am

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

How is that relevant to men's mental health and suicide rates?
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 12:58 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Yup...men aren’t the only one who have mental health problems.
https://www.camh.ca/en/driving-chang...lth-statistics

Lots of statistics here.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 1:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
How is that relevant to men's mental health and suicide rates?
I would think if you are a woman in a abusive relationship, especially if you have no way out, it could well lead to mental health problems and suicide.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 4:32 am

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I would think if you are a woman in a abusive relationship, especially if you have no way out, it could well lead to mental health problems and suicide.
Having been in that situation, no.. not necessarily.. << SNIP>>
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mental Health II

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty View Post
Saw your new post about men's mental health which I won't comment on as I am out of my depth on that topic, but thinking about it did remind me about the benefits of being outside and having a bit of manual toil to occupy oneself. So just a reminder that it's February next week, spring won't be far away, so make sure you've got your name down for an allotment, and to start making plans and preparations for your patio for the summer.
I am on the wait list for one.

Hopefully once the days get longer my mental health will improve a bit, this winter has been one of the worst for me, but the I may just be to the point I can no longer cope, and lacking the emotional support and adding in the isolation, I may just not be able to keep going, and maybe sleeping 20 hours a day is best, at least when sleeping there is no emotional pain and mental suffering.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mental Health II

One of the biggest hurdles in Canada with mental healthcare is the system largely operates on a one size fits all system and relies very heavily on medications and only medications.

Its really a flawed system stuck in the 1960's when it comes to mental health treatment.

Sad so many have to suffer who could with proper access to supports and treatment likely become productive members of society and have a better quality of life.

BPD when treated has pretty high rates of remission. It cannot be cured but with the proper treatment people do seek remission and lead quality lives.

20 or 25 years now since BPD was found to be treatable with high success in remission and yet still little access to treatment beyond medications in Canada.

Not sure what it will take to modernize and improve mental healthcare in Canada because at the moment its a very poor system that fails a lot of people.

Granted the younger BPD is diagnosed the better chance of remission. Over 40 and its really too late to have a quality life and career even with access but if the system treated people in their teens and early 20s they would reduce a lot of suffering and hospitalizations and prevent suicides.

A success story when someone has access to and gets the supports they need to overcome their disorder and succeed.

This quote from thr article sums up the employment difficulty well besides the struggle to stay employed but the struggle to gain employment when one has so many gaps and jobs which makes for a messy resume over time.

"Most often we do see individuals really struggling to maintain work," said Kennedy. "So then, with that work history, then it's hard to get hired going forward because the resume and the applications can look complicated."

Last edited by Jsmth321; Feb 2nd 2021 at 8:20 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's just unfortunate people have to choose suicide or substances to cope due to the general lack of mental health supports in Canada, and general apathy of the general public and politicians who seem okay with the status quo.

Unless one has deep pockets there is little help and support for anyone in Canada with complex mental health issues that cannot be treated by medications, and even if people reach out, chances are nobody cares enough to support and guide them, trust me I know, been telling everyone with an ear I need help and support, from doctors to nurses, to mental health lines to random internet people, pretty much everyone and anyone, even twitter, at least I say I can tried, I spent a solid decade almost attempting to get help and support I need to succeed, which is therapy with a professional who knows how to treat complex issues like BPD.

People with severe and complex mental health issues cannot be expected to fix it all on their own, that isn't even realistic but unfortunately seems to be what the majority of people expect and think.

The only way people with complex mental health issues to succeed is if they actually have access to the supports and treatment they need.

And some reason there seems to be this confusion with depression = all mental health issues, which isn't true, PTSD, BPD and other complex disorders are far more complicated than just depression and require long term therapy and supports to overcome, you cannot medicate these complex issues away, and some like BPD have ZERO approved medications.

There is also this mindset of one size fits all treatment which is also not true, there is no one size fits all solution, treatment has to be tailored to the individual, but in Canada largely its a one size fits all model, throw 15 people into a group and treat them all the same and then people act surprised when it doesn't work, and its almost always half assed as well, with unqualified social workers rather than therapists and psychologists.

Imagine if tomorrow they said cancer would no longer be treated and you would have to self pay, the outrage there would be, but for some reason when it comes to disorders of the brain, we as a society are perfectly okay denying people access to treatment.

With proper treatment and support people can succeed, the key point being they need access to treatment and support.

There are also a lot of misconceptions around people with complex disorders like BPD even within the medical community, but its not a surprise really, medical doctors lack the experience and knowledge for the most part and of course the time to treat complex disorders. My GP wont even touch the topic of BPD for example and none before her would either.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 2nd 2021 at 8:30 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 12:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Default Mental Health III

As we are all aware, the last 12 months has been extremely difficult for most people...leading to more people needing mental health support. This includes both men and women. One group should not be overlooked because the other group’s numbers are greater. Both sexes need help and support.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 3:38 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I think this comment is unfair. We all post about specifc issues that are on our mind at the time. We're not expected, nor should we feel obligated, to write an all-encompassing treatise on the subject.
I would also suggest that, culturally speaking, it is still harder for men's mental health problems to be accepted.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 4:19 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I would also suggest that, culturally speaking, it is still harder for men's mental health problems to be accepted.
That's changing though. Not fast, but for years there have been spokespersons of both sexes drawn from Olympic athletes and media personalities willing to put their personal challenges out in public to raise awareness. When I worked in an acute treatment psych ward in the 70's it was apparent how important the support of spouses and family was (and still is) but now that support group has grown. One of the men I know from a ritual club morning beer gathering helped detain a shoplifter at the grocery store he worked at, and while the guy put up a massive fight, he also made a lot of very personal death threats, and the result was actually ptsd. He had to fly to Penticton a few times to see a psychiatrist and get straightened out. Not one of us would think of questioning his problem or belittling him for it. 50 years ago that may not have been the case. It takes time for meaningful changes in attitude among the public to occur.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 4:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
That's changing though. Not fast, but for years there have been spokespersons of both sexes drawn from Olympic athletes and media personalities willing to put their personal challenges out in public to raise awareness. When I worked in an acute treatment psych ward in the 70's it was apparent how important the support of spouses and family was (and still is) but now that support group has grown. One of the men I know from a ritual club morning beer gathering helped detain a shoplifter at the grocery store he worked at, and while the guy put up a massive fight, he also made a lot of very personal death threats, and the result was actually ptsd. He had to fly to Penticton a few times to see a psychiatrist and get straightened out. Not one of us would think of questioning his problem or belittling him for it. 50 years ago that may not have been the case. It takes time for meaningful changes in attitude among the public to occur.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 10:23 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I disagree. It might be harder for men to admit they have mental health issues and to seek health but I think women are more likely to have their problems dismissed. " Buck up dear" etc.

​​​​​​Though it isn't a competition, it's just different.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 10:33 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats View Post
I disagree. It might be harder for men to admit they have mental health issues and to seek health but I think women are more likely to have their problems dismissed. " Buck up dear" etc.

​​​​Though it isn't a competition, it's just different.
A lot of those women who are in abusive relationships are also going to be prevented from seeking treatment by their partners. Often there's no indication on the outside. I recall one case in the US where a senior CIA officer looked clean as a whistle in his bungalow in the suburbs, and then something happened and we learned he'd been beating up the wife and kids for years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.