Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Mental Health II

Mental Health II

Old Dec 30th 2020, 11:52 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mental Health III

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
it was 2.07 in June, 2.30 in March, 1.94 in Nov 2019, and reference range is 0.32-5.04. Doctor say's its fine.
Was that just a TFT (Thyroid Function Test)? Ask for a full thyroid profile.
Old Dec 31st 2020, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Was that just a TFT (Thyroid Function Test)? Ask for a full thyroid profile.

It was this.
Old Dec 31st 2020, 12:34 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

It was this.
I guess it looks like they don't run them if your TSH is normal. They will do a whole panel here, especially if you have some symptoms and sweating, irregular heart beat or flutters could be symptoms of a thyroid problem. It might be worth asking your doctor.
Old Dec 31st 2020, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it looks like they don't run them if your TSH is normal. They will do a whole panel here, especially if you have some symptoms and sweating, irregular heart beat or flutters could be symptoms of a thyroid problem. It might be worth asking your doctor.
I'll ask her tomorrow, I have a phone appointment booked. Its a little tricky at the moment, with the move, so my GP is in Vancouver and I am 400km away, so everything by phone until I can get a local GP.
Old Dec 31st 2020, 5:43 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I know you'll likely not be interested and will think it does not apply to you because of BPD, HOWEVER, therapy is all about asking the brain and mind to relearn or modify behaviours and CBT is about that just as it is for those with Asperger/ brain damage issues etc. <---- even though I know you will say it doesn't apply to you.

So - I saw this and thought of you. all about how you use a form of the modern term ' mindfullness' as an aid. I am not talking self help or self therapy which I know you eschew as not being possible for whatever reason.

Can I ask that you don't give me a huge post about understanding BPD . As we both know , I do get it all already & more.

Jim Kwik. <--------- Try not to dismiss.
Old Dec 31st 2020, 5:46 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Like asking for the blimmin' moon here with that & that is with MrBEVS having arrhythmia , liver function oddities & easy sweating. Bah!
Old Jan 1st 2021, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I know you'll likely not be interested and will think it does not apply to you because of BPD, HOWEVER, therapy is all about asking the brain and mind to relearn or modify behaviours and CBT is about that just as it is for those with Asperger/ brain damage issues etc. <---- even though I know you will say it doesn't apply to you.

So - I saw this and thought of you. all about how you use a form of the modern term ' mindfullness' as an aid. I am not talking self help or self therapy which I know you eschew as not being possible for whatever reason.

Can I ask that you don't give me a huge post about understanding BPD . As we both know , I do get it all already & more.

Jim Kwik. <--------- Try not to dismiss.

I will give it a look.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Default Alarming numbers around men's mental health in Canada

Opinion piece written by Rob Whitley, an associate professor of psychiatry at McGill University and a research scientist at the Douglas Research Centre.

A few key points from the article.

75% of suicides in Canada are men.

Men in Canada are 3 times more likely to experience addiction and substance abuse.

In 2020 81% of drug overdose deaths in BC were men.

9 per cent of men aged 25 to 34 never graduated from high school almost double the rate of similarly aged women.

"A lack of choice or access to mental health services can deter men from reaching out and seeking help, leaving them struggling in silence and alone."

Even when men (like myself) want help and try to seek it, we often find its simply not available.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/opin...alth-1.5871935

Average of 50 men a week die by suicide in Canada.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 1:12 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mental Health

Looks like there are 2 in our area and the price is reasonable, $35 for the season.

Have to wait til Spring though, they are preparing for winter, can't grow much of anything outside in winter in these parts.

Now that we have a patio that gets sun again, I'll grow a few things on the patio next spring/summer as well.

4pm sunsets suck....
Saw your new post about men's mental health which I won't comment on as I am out of my depth on that topic, but thinking about it did remind me about the benefits of being outside and having a bit of manual toil to occupy oneself. So just a reminder that it's February next week, spring won't be far away, so make sure you've got your name down for an allotment, and to start making plans and preparations for your patio for the summer.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 1:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mental Health

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty View Post
Saw your new post about men's mental health which I won't comment on as I am out of my depth on that topic, but thinking about it did remind me about the benefits of being outside and having a bit of manual toil to occupy oneself. So just a reminder that it's February next week, spring won't be far away, so make sure you've got your name down for an allotment, and to start making plans and preparations for your patio for the summer.

What a great suggestion. I always felt so much better working in the dirt even if it was only my window boxes in my apartment in NY. Looking out the window at the flowers each day knowing that they were blooming and flourishing due to my administrations brought such a lovely sense of fulfillment.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 1:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Mental Health Discussions

I know that working outside the home will increase one's chances of contracting the virus. In all fairness, all the people I know, including my husband, who have contracted the virus it was not due to work as they are all retired.

Your lovely wife has such a great skill with organizing and office procedures, she should be a shoe-in for a call center, work from home, scheme. Look into life, auto, etc. insurance companies. My stepdaughter works for one and works from home.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Default Re: Alarming numbers around men's mental health in Canada

Addiction and mental health are often connected in some fashion, and drug deaths in Canada especially in BC is in record setting territory.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/man-i-ve-s...isis-1.5286552
Old Feb 1st 2021, 3:18 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Addiction and mental health are often connected in some fashion, and drug deaths in Canada especially in BC is in record setting territory.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/man-i-ve-s...isis-1.5286552
2020 was a rough year.
1,500 overdose deaths in BC last year and so far 1,190 COVID deaths.
83% of those overdose deaths were fentanyl related.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Drug use seems to be on the rise and certainly a crises level. Not easy to get treatment for either and for many drugs are the escape for mental health issues often due to lack of access to mental health services and support. Aside from medication the mental health supports in BC are quite poor.

Originally Posted by Danny B View Post
2020 was a rough year.
1,500 overdose deaths in BC last year and so far 1,190 COVID deaths.
83% of those overdose deaths were fentanyl related.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Default re: Mental Health Discussions

Doctor is trying their magic with medications to help try and get L a bit more stable before Wed.

The last week she has has some mini manic episodes which isn't good and mini manic episodes can turn into full blown mania and psychosis pretty quickly.

We have noticed that when our rent was reasonable and I was working part time and she was working part time and disability supplemented it she was a lot more stable.

As rent has gone up and we have to work longer hours especially for her less mental stability.

Stress can be a big inducer of manic episodes being triggered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.