Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Mental Health II

Mental Health II

Old Sep 16th 2021, 10:42 am
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental Health II

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Baiting and responding to the bait is not helpful.

I made a good suggestion re you two. Perhaps act on that.
Not baiting at all. We started this phase of discussion with walking & moved to cycling & the gym, both of which have obstacles, whereas walking doesn't. The respondent reacted to my legitimate question with a positive response.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 12:23 pm
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I made a good suggestion re you two. Perhaps act on that.
From this I presume that the barb in your post #408 was aimed at me.

Strange, as I, along with others have been trying to encourage the walking.

No matter, I shall steer clear of this thread in future.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

You know how elephants and animals if one member of their group gets anxious they all tend to?

I think humans are the same way, my wife has nervous energy from being bipolar and paces the house, or stands doing the elephant rock, none of it abnormal for someone with severe bipolar on antipsychotics, but I think that subconsciously triggers my brain to become more nervous, as I notice when she is home, my anxiety levels are higher, the dog can't sit still and is anxious, makes sense from a survival perspective.
Old Sep 19th 2021, 4:52 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
You know how elephants and animals if one member of their group gets anxious they all tend to?

I think humans are the same way, my wife has nervous energy from being bipolar and paces the house, or stands doing the elephant rock, none of it abnormal for someone with severe bipolar on antipsychotics, but I think that subconsciously triggers my brain to become more nervous, as I notice when she is home, my anxiety levels are higher, the dog can't sit still and is anxious, makes sense from a survival perspective.
I'd go along with that in a way. Many people are highly sensitive and empathic . As we know our domestic pets can show and display this too.
Old Sep 19th 2021, 7:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Happy to arrive in the UK and be with dad at long last. But wishing my OH was here with me for support. I've just had a panic attack whilst I was doing the dishes, which made me want to go straight back home !!!!
I hate panic attacks, this one made me feel as if I was going to be sick which hasn't happened before. Trying to concentrate on my breathing and talk myself into a calmer state.
Old Sep 19th 2021, 7:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix View Post
Happy to arrive in the UK and be with dad at long last. But wishing my OH was here with me for support. I've just had a panic attack whilst I was doing the dishes, which made me want to go straight back home !!!!
I hate panic attacks, this one made me feel as if I was going to be sick which hasn't happened before. Trying to concentrate on my breathing and talk myself into a calmer state.
Glad to hear you made it safely back to the UK and are re-united with your dad. It’s a bugger that you are having panic attacks after you’ve been looking forward to this visit for so long. How long are you there for? Take care of yourself.
Old Sep 19th 2021, 8:05 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you are back.

Take it easy. OH feels sick like that when has a panic attack. It will pass, hope you feel better soon.
Old Sep 19th 2021, 10:53 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that's a bit horrible . Hope the breathing and perhaps counting or song/mantra in head will help. Might be because of the double long hauls and also jet lag. Over tired is never good & that journey is dreadful .

Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Glad to hear you made it safely back to the UK and are re-united with your dad. It’s a bugger that you are having panic attacks after you’ve been looking forward to this visit for so long. How long are you there for? Take care of yourself.
I'm here for 4 weeks, then back to NZ MIQ for two weeks. Just wishing the OH was here with me. I'm better today. Thanks x

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Glad you are back.

Take it easy. OH feels sick like that when has a panic attack. It will pass, hope you feel better soon.
I've never had the sickness before and it hit the other end a bit as well . I do feel better now thank you x

Well, that's a bit horrible . Hope the breathing and perhaps counting or song/mantra in head will help. Might be because of the double long hauls and also jet lag. Over tired is never good & that journey is dreadful .
You're absolutely right. It was much worse than normal with the covid precautions in place. The transit area at Changi was hell and when our flight was delayed, I felt like death may be preferable than continuing on the journey .
I had a further meltdown in the night because I just couldn't sleep. The house is heated to 25°C day and night and it's too much to deal with. Dad has compromised and we are now at 23°C!!!!
Dad is fairly quiet. He has an appointment at the hospital on Friday morning and I'm expecting a diagnosis of bowel cancer. Thanks M x
Old Sep 21st 2021, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife can get into a panic attack and end up sick from it, I have never had one like that, but I had one once where I was convinced I was having a heart attack, I'll be screwed if I ever have a mild heart attack and brush it off as a panic attack, I always feel like I am wasting the doctors time if I see them about something and turns out to be nothing, but then that is often how doctors present themselves, so I am always like do I see a doctor or not.

Not all doctors are like that, but they seem to be in the majority here, give that vibe of your wasting my time.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 10:42 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

You're absolutely right. It was much worse than normal with the covid precautions in place. The transit area at Changi was hell and when our flight was delayed, I felt like death may be preferable than continuing on the journey .
I had a further meltdown in the night because I just couldn't sleep. The house is heated to 25°C day and night and it's too much to deal with. Dad has compromised and we are now at 23°C!!!!
Dad is fairly quiet. He has an appointment at the hospital on Friday morning and I'm expecting a diagnosis of bowel cancer. Thanks M x
I did wonder about the temp in the house as I remember last time it was ....erms... rather on the warm side. Was the same in my Dad's house. Even opening the bedroom window did nothing against the might of the central heating on full bore. Heat and sleep doesn't knit well together unless perhaps one gets to a certain age .

Hope you start to feel a bit more even , if you know what I mean. You've flown into a hard situation so bound to be incredibly stressful all round.

Old Sep 21st 2021, 10:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm here for 4 weeks, then back to NZ MIQ for two weeks. Just wishing the OH was here with me. I'm better today.
I am sure he would have been a great support for you during this very difficult time. The long journey and delay is enough to set anyone off…without the stress of covid and your father’s illness.

I know what you mean about the temp. It is extremely difficult to get our bedroom under 25C…even with the A/C on. I have to have a fan blowing on me to help me sleep.

I hope your father doesn’t have what you think he has.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Mental health issues are very personal ,difficult matters. And have suffered for most of my younger years with it, with a good wife and some professional help behind me (lucky sod) .I have learnt to control most issues in my life but have lent on my wife an awful lot, too much at times (lucky sod) And i have now learnt not to let things get on top of me and just say W.T.F off .People who drop casual remarks good or bad and have too much to say at the wrong time greatly damage individuals.Sometimes less is best
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 11:49 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
Mental health issues are very personal ,difficult matters. And have suffered for most of my younger years with it, with a good wife and some professional help behind me (lucky sod) .I have learnt to control most issues in my life but have lent on my wife an awful lot, too much at times (lucky sod) And i have now learnt not to let things get on top of me and just say W.T.F off .People who drop casual remarks good or bad and have too much to say at the wrong time greatly damage individuals.Sometimes less is best
True enough eck. Your post shows you speak from experience. Glad you had support. Your wife is a keeper eh.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 7:03 am
Account Closed

I just wish I fit in with society so I wasn't so lonely. I am tired of being so alone all the time.

Never even been a point in my life when I was wanted.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 23rd 2021 at 7:05 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.