Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Mental Health II

Mental Health II

Old Sep 15th 2021, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental Health II

Anything less than professional treatment would most likely have minimal benefit. Seeking professional help would be the best and most logical choice.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest hurdle to biking in Canada is winter.

If you stick to the back roads around these parts its fairly safe, although I would be wary of riding on the highway and across the bridge, but people do it and its permitted since there is no alternative to the highway, but people speed and drive like crazy on the highway and just seems like a bad idea in general biking riding where cars, trucks, semi-trucks are hurdling past at 70-80km/h.

But the side areas are fine, limited traffic and slow speeds.

My biggest problem with bikes is finding a appropriate one for my height that doesn't cost a fortune, the cheapos at Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire are on the small size frame wise and are not comfortable to ride because they are simply too small for my height, which is an issue for everyone my height, just bikes that fit my height tend to be costly, I did try a Wal-Mart bike once, but really isn't pleasent trying to ride a bike that is too small for you and these are adult male bikes, they are just on the small side for your average Canadian who is shorter than I am.

Average Canadian male is 5'10 and I 6'4 and some change so nothing made for the average height works for me, cars, airplanes (unless first class) movie theatres, any theatre really, you should see me in our car, even seat back maximum, my knees still push against the dash board, and if we got in an accident and the airbag goes off, I am so screwed because my knees press up against where the airbag deploys from, but nothing I can do since my legs are long and only bend one direction.

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
This is an incredibly accurate & insightful post Lion. It exactly pins this type of health condition. Karma your way.

I am sure J appreciates all the posters that take the time and effort to share with him what works for them, as they do so out of care and concern. Who knows , some of it might sneak past the BPD portcullis & allow J a new thought or two and some respite.

Sometimes just simply talking ( in this case writing) with someone or making them feel heard is enough to help them in some small way & that , ddsrph, is exactly what you have been doing with your support and suggestions. J can hear what you say even if the BPD gets in his way . It's encouragement without judgement.

Quite like the idea of a bike J. There again I quite like biking. MrBEVS on the other hand is not much cop on a bike at all. Bloke next door whizzes out on his to get away from his wife and kids sometimes. Not sure on the practicalities for you in where to keep it though or how biking works in Canada. Whatever and if you do get a bike, do not try to walk Charlees little legs whilst whizzing about on the thing unless you teach her to skateboard.

M
Old Sep 15th 2021, 11:18 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph View Post
Anything less than professional treatment would most likely have minimal benefit. Seeking professional help would be the best and most logical choice.
True. It is not readily available though. Here in NZ we only have one place in the whole country to properly help with BPD. From memory it maybe takes max of 10 folks if that. Most with these types of disorders are treated in a piecemeal way as funding allows. Therapy, meds etc. Even then these are for a limited period.

Y'know , even minimal benefit and effect is better than nothing at all ddsrph. J is benefiting from your posts and suggestions. I can feel that within his own words.

FWIW I feel it is just one post here that has tipped a little balance for J and my suggestion to J is that he put that person on ignore and that the person in question steers clear of J's conversations.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 11:24 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post

If you stick to the back roads around these parts its fairly safe, although I would be wary of riding on the highway and across the bridge, but people do it and its permitted since there is no alternative to the highway, but people speed and drive like crazy on the highway and just seems like a bad idea in general biking riding where cars, trucks, semi-trucks are hurdling past at 70-80km/h.

But the side areas are fine, limited traffic and slow speeds.

My biggest problem with bikes is finding a appropriate one for my height that doesn't cost a fortune, the cheapos at Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire are on the small size frame wise and are not comfortable to ride because they are simply too small for my height, which is an issue for everyone my height, just bikes that fit my height tend to be costly, I did try a Wal-Mart bike once, but really isn't pleasent trying to ride a bike that is too small for you and these are adult male bikes, they are just on the small side for your average Canadian who is shorter than I am.

Average Canadian male is 5'10 and I 6'4 and some change so nothing made for the average height works for me, cars, airplanes (unless first class) movie theatres, any theatre really, you should see me in our car, even seat back maximum, my knees still push against the dash board, and if we got in an accident and the airbag goes off, I am so screwed because my knees press up against where the airbag deploys from, but nothing I can do since my legs are long and only bend one direction.
Yes. I must admit I did wonder about a bike that would be comfy for your height. MrBEVS once basically did a runner from BikeBarn because the blokes tried to sit him on hybrid teenagers bike. As you know MrBEVS is fit and athletic but has little short legs bit like Charlee.

ddsrph might have some thoughts on bikes for tall'uns like you. Or someone might .

If you do get out walking a bit , I wouldn't mind some pics . Would be interesting.

Old Sep 15th 2021, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even know if we that level of treatment in Canada, all the ones I am aware of are once a week out patient, seems the NZ one is more inline with the one I was looking into in Massachusetts except the NZ one appears to be residential (the Massachusetts one is residential if your female, but males can only access the outpatient program there, but the outpatient is still 20 hours a week of groups, therapy, and other supports to becoming functioning member of society) but yeah the Massachusetts one is really expensive, with the exchange rate, it was something like 55k or 60k CAD$ for the 6 months, but per hour its actually a better value as the one in Vancouver is 1,300 ish with 8 hours a month total, so works out to $162.50 per hour of treatment and Massachusetts one works out to be around $114 per hour so hour for hour its a better value, its just not everyone has tends of thousands laying around to pay upfront. (not that monthly payments are any doable as they are like 9k a month + housing costs to rent an apartment or hotel room for 6 months.)

Looks like the NZ place knows what they are doing, seems like a good facility, although limited as you say, but DBT works best in small groups, its not very effective if done with large groups at once.

But that is why complex disorders are not covered, they are time consuming, take a minimum of 6 months intensive treatment but most end up needing closer to 9-12 months on average, sometimes more, every human is different so there is no one size fits all time but 6 months is the bare minimum.

I imagine if not covered in NZ that it may also be rather pricey, I have no idea how it works there.

"Treatment includes twice-weekly individual therapy sessions with intensively trained DBT clinicians, multiple skills classes and crisis coaching, skills practice groups and 24/7 access to DBT coaches. There are also opportunities to apply therapeutic learning through shared living, daily skills groups, household management, recreational and vocational activities and during home visits. Family/Whanau therapy and Transition/Home-based consultation are provided to support long-lasting change."

True. It is not readily available though. Here in NZ we only have one place in the whole country to properly help with BPD. From memory it maybe takes max of 10 folks if that. Most with these types of disorders are treated in a piecemeal way as funding allows. Therapy, meds etc. Even then these are for a limited period.

Y'know , even minimal benefit and effect is better than nothing at all ddsrph. J is benefiting from your posts and suggestions. I can feel that within his own words.

FWIW I feel it is just one post here that has tipped a little balance for J and my suggestion to J is that he put that person on ignore and that the person in question steers clear of J's conversations.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 11:40 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

What about throwing snowballs at annoying neighbours?

Aerobic and fun at the same time.

Old Sep 15th 2021, 11:41 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I must admit I did wonder about a bike that would be comfy for your height. MrBEVS once basically did a runner from BikeBarn because the blokes tried to sit him on hybrid teenagers bike. As you know MrBEVS is fit and athletic but has little short legs bit like Charlee.

ddsrph might have some thoughts on bikes for tall'uns like you. Or someone might .

If you do get out walking a bit , I wouldn't mind some pics . Would be interesting.

Second on the pics. I like seeing new places.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 12:01 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

My biggest problem with bikes is finding a appropriate one for my height that doesn't cost a fortune, the cheapos at Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire
What size do you need? Just looking at the CT site. Of the adult bikes most are 26 for $130 (no suspension) or $180 (front suspension like mine) but there was a 29 for $270. Quite a difference considering no suspension on it. Gel saddle covers help though.

Do you have annual bike auctions there? Unclaimed bikes that have been recovered. I used to read about them in the paper here. I was tempted to go but they were never held anywhere convenient for me to get to.

But there was the opportunity to check them out and I used to read such ridiculously cheap prices for them. Something like that might have some bigger ones for a better price.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

About bikes, I have had several and the thing to do is adjust the seat up high so your legs are fully extended when petal is at lowest point. You won’t ever wear the yellow Jersey on a make do bike, but the idea is excercise and less that perfect bike means more effort expended which plays right into the primary objective. I have a folding bike that I bought to carry in my previous airplane which is a 20 inch but with the tall adjustable seat post works ok. Canada definitely has a short biking season so moving inside in winter to a stationary bike at the gym solves that problem. In all my suggestions I have been working under the assumption that professional treatment was not obtainable. With that in mind anything that can possibly help is worth a try.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 1:20 am
Account Closed

The gym is a good idea, once its feasible again I will look into it, COVID restrictions put a little difficulty in many gym activities that increase breathing.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 7:36 am
Account Closed

I most likely wont be here much longer without professional help. It's just the truth, I am at a point I will never recover without it, and this is the reality of severe and complex mental health disorders, you reach a point where you just cannot cope and deal with the problems anymore and there isn't sufficient supports available, and what other option is there?

We also as a society need to openly talk about chronic mental illness and letting people end their suffering in a dignified way, if we as a society are not willing to provide people with the supports and resources they need to recover.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 16th 2021 at 7:45 am.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 8:02 am
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

The gym is a good idea, once its feasible again I will look into it, COVID restrictions put a little difficulty in many gym activities that increase breathing.
What happened to the walking? Free & without significant restrictions due covid.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 8:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
What happened to the walking? Free & without significant restrictions due covid.
I went for a walk today.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 8:12 am
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I went for a walk today.
Good man! Progress!

FWIW when we retired 7 years ago we set ourselves a target of 30 Km (at least) walking (proper walking) each week, regardless of weather, etc. We've stuck to it and it has definitely paid dividends for our health.

Last edited by Expatrick; Sep 16th 2021 at 8:14 am.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 10:37 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
I went for a walk today.
Baiting and responding to the bait is not helpful.

I made a good suggestion re you two. Perhaps act on that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.