Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Men and their clothing choices

Men and their clothing choices

Old Jun 4th 2019, 3:26 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Men and their clothing choices

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
And comfortable/ practical.
Well yes, covering naughty bits is kind of the bare minimum but you get the idea.

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
I think I have wiggly feet, and having some cuff to pull on allows me to adjust the part of the sock inside my shoe without taking my shoe off. Wearing short socks in wellies I often find that within a few hundred feet of walking, my socks have already slid down over my heals.
I only wear the little socks when I'm wearing non-sports-related shorts and I'm not sure why I'm more comfortable with them in that situation as they're kind of a pain in the arse.
Old Jun 4th 2019, 3:50 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Short socks in wellies - Holy mother, are you a heathen altogether? …
Beyond the pale, lost cause, lacking any sense of decency. …. Take your pick or choose another phrase of your own.

For me a sock is mostly just a washable shoe liner, it reduces the likelihood of my shoes stinking, and that is very much the role that a cheap white athletic sock fills when worn inside a wellie.
…. I never did get the hang of sandals..... they let the rain in.
That is of course a problem, but now that I live in an area where rain is warm for a good part of the year (unlike in the UK where rain is invariably cold when it reaches ground level, even in the summer months), I was pleased to discover "sports sandals" a few year ago, which are basically trainer soles with nylon straps to hold them to your feet, and that therefore allow your feet to dry quickly. They can be worn comfortably when it's raining, on the beach, or at the lake or riverside, or around the yard/ garden to avoid a lot of the sweaty feet problem, though I do find that sports sandals need to be wiped/ scrubbed every few days to keep them sanitary and smelling sweet(ish).
Old Jun 4th 2019, 9:08 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Realest post of the thread. The purpose of clothes is to cover your naughty bits and/or keep you warm or protected from the elements. Beyond that, WGAF?
Is there nothing you wouldn't be seen dead in?

I only wear the little socks when I'm wearing non-sports-related shorts and I'm not sure why I'm more comfortable with them in that situation as they're kind of a pain in the arse.
You're supposed to wear them lower down the leg, near the foot

Old Jun 4th 2019, 9:36 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Is there nothing you wouldn't be seen dead in?
Well, yeah, but that usually falls under comfort anyway because I wouldn't feel comfortable in something I didn't like, even it it fits perfectly. But it's still pretty much WGAF anyway since that only affects me and I never find myself in that situation, unless I'm being forced to wear a tie or something stupid like that.

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
You're supposed to wear them lower down the leg, near the foot
I am?
Old Jun 5th 2019, 2:57 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Look the only thing that matters with men and socks is which comes off first, the socks or the trousers.

Everything else is largely irrelevant.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 3:02 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Look the only thing that matters with men and socks is which comes off first, the socks or the trousers.

Everything else is largely irrelevant.
always socks. Nothing less sexy than socks but no troos. Am l right?
Old Jun 5th 2019, 10:16 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH View Post
Full marks.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 1:47 pm
Hail Satan!

Originally Posted by RICH View Post

Fair warning, there's a bum at the end of the clip.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

I might sound like an old fuddy but here goes: Skinny jeans / pants are very unattractive on men. It just looks ridiculous, especially when coupled with 80s style high-back sneakers.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
I might sound like an old fuddy but here goes: Skinny jeans / pants are very unattractive on men. It just looks ridiculous, especially when coupled with 80s style high-back sneakers.
Skinny jeans are not a good look for men over 40.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 1:17 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo View Post
Skinny jeans are not a good look for men over 40.
I don't know about that. We have a consultant in my department who's well into his 40s, 6'4" tall and very athletic. He absolutely rocks skinny jeans.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
Are my sneakers out of fashion now?
Old Jun 10th 2019, 12:25 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Fascinating read.

I wear those invisible socks a lot - with trainers and shorts, with loafers / slip ons and shorts, with slip ons and trousers occasionally, but not ankle banging tight trousers, a nice chino trouser. I do the last one rarely as it's slightly too close to trendy for me and I can't handle that.

Otherwise, I think it's easy enough to live in a few items of clothing. Few pairs of well fitting chino shorts to just above the knee. Few pairs of chinos. Pair of casual jeans, pair of smart jeans. Casual to smart shirts. T-shirts from beachside to smart. Smart jackets for dinner.
Shoes is a different ball game.

Few of each of them and you've got a lovely wardrobe that is never anything but classic, smart and comfortable. Doesn't have to be expensive, could all be plain and brand-less.
Old Jun 10th 2019, 2:25 pm
Hail Satan!

Everyone's different of course, but I feel like if I'm wearing something that wouldn't be featured on a Status Quo album cover, or that you'd be comfortable going for a run in, I'm being forced into it and it makes me sad that I've had to spend money on it. The day work ditched their dress code a few months back was a great day for me.
Old Jun 10th 2019, 2:46 pm

Everyone's different of course, but I feel like if I'm wearing something that wouldn't be featured on a Status Quo album cover, or that you'd be comfortable going for a run in, I'm being forced into it and it makes me sad that I've had to spend money on it..

Not everyone can carry the full denim look off, either.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.