Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Long time no see...

Long time no see...

Old Nov 4th 2020, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Long time no see...

Well, been an interesting year on my end. Heart attack in Sept last year, severe gall bladder and blood infection in April this year (6 days in hospital) and a month later, anaphylactic shock after being given 3 iv antibiotics to ward off a potential repeat of the previous months blood infection (4 days in hospital). But I am doing awesome these days. The best I have felt in years. I can chalk some of that up to quitting smoking. Been over a year smoke free and quite pleased with it.
I had plans to travel to Italy to visit the small town of Casacanditella in Abruzzo, birthplace of my maternal grandparents. Covid screwed that up pretty well. As a result, I spent my time, over many months, and using many sources, researching the genealogy of both sides of my family. Now, I grew up knowing that the maternal side was Italian and the paternal side was German. So of course I always said I was half Italian and half German, in spite of the fact that being truly half and half would be pretty much impossible given the significant mixing of ethnicities over many millennia. But I truly was not prepared for the surprise I got.

The Italian side contained all Italian names, a lot of them, but that in and of itself does not imply they were anywhere close to 100% Italian, because they couldn't be given the numerous ethnicities that infiltrated the boot that is Italy. So nothing in the way of new discovery was revealed. I did get back as far as 10 or 11 generations on a few lines of ancestors, and nothing more could be found beyond that.

The paternal side, sooooooo different. My paternal grandmother, I learned many years ago, was Scottish. I assumed that would probably be an outlier and the rest would primarily be German. Ha. Jokes on me. I would say that the majority of my paternal ancestors are..........Brittish. Toss into the pool a bunch of Irish and Welsh and a few more Scots and, well I do not feel like an interloper on BE anymore.

Now there are plenty of Germans too, many of whom lived in France. To make it more interesting, Swedes, Danes, Norwegians etc. Just a small sample of British area surnames: Knapp, Seams, Welsh, Stockwell, Marsh, Bloomfield, Whitbeck, Fisher, Barrett. By the generation of my great grand parents, German ancestors are confined to one ancestry line out of 4. And it gets worse after that. Christ, I have to go buy a Union Jack now. LOL

The line from my great, great, great grandmother, Elizabeth Knapp, proved to be a gravy train of ancestors. Remember my Italian lines only got to 10 or 11 generations because of the limitation of record sources. . The line segment beginning with my great, great, great grandmother goes back not 20, not 30 not 40 but over 60 generations. Now clearly, the lines from her and her ancestors double every generation. She is one line, her parents are 2, grandparents 4 etc. As a result this opens a lot of doors. Some lines die out while others keep going. Months of effort, using various sources, reviewing other genealogy reports, doing date, spouse and relative comparisons (you can find a lot of people with the same name and the other details have to be compared to hopefully eliminate incorrect ones) yielded interesting results.

Long story short (yeah, I know, too late for that) overall I got back to ancestors in the area of 400 BC. That is not a joke. Along the way there are members of English, Irish, Welsh, Swedish, Scandinavian, French and Roman royalty etc. Quite different than my Italian side. Many of my Italian ancestors could be found on census reports and, if an occupation was listed it was always contadino (masculine) or contadina (feminine). Translated? Peasant. I am the proud descendant of peasants, and I do mean proud because without the peasants the whole system would have collapsed. The well-to-do were not going to engage in the work required to feed and otherwise provide for themselves. My Italian uncles demonstrated their work ethic quite well and expected as much of me and my cousin when we worked for my Uncle Ralphs construction company. As a side note, when you work for an Italian uncle there two rules. (1) Work twice as hard as anyone else. (2) Get paid less. LOL But I would not trade the experience for anything.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by dakota44; Nov 4th 2020 at 12:04 am.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long time no see...

Glad your feeling better. I was wondering where you vanished to, but sounds like you got some interesting family history done at least.

My dad tried to do his family tree, he managed to get back to 1800 something and its like his family appeared from nowhere from that point, couldn't find anything beyond that.

My mom's husband has literally binders of hundreds if not thousands of documents and paperwork, on my mom's side. I just know they originated in Scotland and at some point somewhere someone ended up in North America.

Old Nov 4th 2020, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Glad your feeling better. I was wondering where you vanished to, but sounds like you got some interesting family history done at least.

My dad tried to do his family tree, he managed to get back to 1800 something and its like his family appeared from nowhere from that point, couldn't find anything beyond that.

My mom's husband has literally binders of hundreds if not thousands of documents and paperwork, on my mom's side. I just know they originated in Scotland and at some point somewhere someone ended up in North America.

I did disappear rather suddenly. Searching ones genealogy can be fascinating...and downright frustrating as well. I enjoyed it and will keep trying to find more on the Italian side. I will say this....looking at the names of my Welsh ancestors....buy some vowels for crying out loud. LOL
Old Nov 4th 2020, 2:55 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
I did disappear rather suddenly. Searching ones genealogy can be fascinating...and downright frustrating as well. I enjoyed it and will keep trying to find more on the Italian side. I will say this....looking at the names of my Welsh ancestors....buy some vowels for crying out loud. LOL
Hey you! Looks like you like visiting hospitals
Glad you are doing ok now and congratulations on being smokeless!

Covid has ruined so many travel plans. Hopefully next year we can all try again
Old Nov 4th 2020, 2:59 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Their consonants are vowels.

It's an odd language, sounds lovely when sung though.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Their consonants are vowels.

It's an odd language, sounds lovely when sung though.
This is one of my apparent Welsh ancestors. I am tempted to build a time machine, even though I am sure liberties were likely taken in creating the painting. . LOL Queen of Powys Born 780 in Powys, died in Rome in 853 and buried in Somme, Picardie, France.

Last edited by dakota44; Nov 4th 2020 at 3:41 am.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Hey you! Looks like you like visiting hospitals
Glad you are doing ok now and congratulations on being smokeless!

Covid has ruined so many travel plans. Hopefully next year we can all try again

They have cute nurses there. Yes, I will get my hopes up for next year.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 4:13 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

This is one of my apparent Welsh ancestors. I am tempted to build a time machine, even though I am sure liberties were likely taken in creating the painting. . LOL Queen of Powys Born 780 in Powys, died in Rome in 853 and buried in Somme, Picardie, France.
Nice use of airbrushing for the first century,
Old Nov 4th 2020, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Nice use of airbrushing for the first century,
Yeah, well done for sure. Clearly ahead of their time. lmao
Old Nov 4th 2020, 6:20 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Are we related somehow. . C'mon BE ladies. Do we not all look like Queen Powys . Well. Not me . I look like a right duck.

Smashing to see you. Glad you are on the up re health and you could never be an interloper . Not in my book anyway.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Are we related somehow. . C'mon BE ladies. Do we not all look like Queen Powys . Well. Not me . I look like a right duck.

Smashing to see you. Glad you are on the up re health and you could never be an interloper . Not in my book anyway.
Ah thank you m'love. Big hugs. Equally smashing to see you.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 2:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back D. I’m sorry to read about your health problems but it sounds like you have bounced back better than ever.

Don’t be a stranger now.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Welcome back D. I’m sorry to read about your health problems but it sounds like you have bounced back better than ever.

Don’t be a stranger now.
Feeling top notch JG. Missed ya.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh dear. After decades making well meant fun of people who touted the fact they are descendants of a passenger on the Mayflower.....I find myself in the awkward position of being one of them. How will I ever survive the embarrassment of my previous attitude. Of course this little detail takes the shine off it. "An estimated 35 million people can trace their ancestry to the Mayflower. "

My 10th generation great grandfather. "George Soule was about 18 years old when he sailed on the Mayflower as a servant of Edward Winslow.

George married Mary Buckett about 1627, who had arrived on the ship Anne in 1623, and they had 9 children. He died in Duxbury, Massachusetts between 1677 and 1679."

Well, he sure knew how to keep the wife busy.

Last edited by dakota44; Nov 16th 2020 at 12:34 am.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 3:25 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear. After decades making well meant fun of people who touted the fact they are descendants of a passenger on the Mayflower.....I find myself in the awkward position of being one of them. How will I ever survive the embarrassment of my previous attitude. Of course this little detail takes the shine off it. "An estimated 35 million people can trace their ancestry to the Mayflower. "

My 10th generation great grandfather. "George Soule was about 18 years old when he sailed on the Mayflower as a servant of Edward Winslow.

George married Mary Buckett about 1627, who had arrived on the ship Anne in 1623, and they had 9 children. He died in Duxbury, Massachusetts between 1677 and 1679."

Well, he sure knew how to keep the wife busy.
Very interesting especially his name!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.