Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Lies Your Parents Told You

Lies Your Parents Told You

Old Sep 19th 2011, 10:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lies Your Parents Told You

Originally Posted by Perthbum View Post
My parents told me the ice cream van had sold out of ice cream when the tune played
Old Sep 19th 2011, 10:19 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Yeh, but that tree one was not a lie.

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/files/...21_treeman.jpg
Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:04 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

My mother told me that the sound of pigeons cooing outside our window were weeds making sounds... like Little Weed in Bill and Ben.
Freaked me out for years.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:22 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Perthbum View Post
My parents told me the ice cream van had sold out of ice cream when the tune played
We read this one somewhere a few weeks before our kids first asked "why is that truck playing music?" With barely straight faces, we told them it was consolation to make people feel better because they had run out of ice cream. We could hardly keep from laughing out loud. The oldest was 8ish. Next year at the pool the kids ran to the truck except ours who were yelling "No, it's run out of ice cream!" They still haven't forgiven us. We thought they'd realized we were lying
Old Sep 20th 2011, 1:54 am

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Mum told me that Gran was ‘just sleeping’ ... a black wreath on the door, the neighbours coming round for three days with flowers, all having a butcher's ... but Grand was still ‘just sleeping’.

The other little gem was that self-abuse would lead to madness —and not whimsical ‘eccentricity’, oh no, straight-waistcoat, electric shock treatments, howling at the moon through the barred window of a padded cell— insanity ... just like Uncle Ralph. More fool I, I believed her, until I was 12, and learnt the poor sod had a steel plate in his head from the War.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 2:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Christian View Post
....until I was 12, and learnt the poor sod had a steel plate in his head from the War.
At which point you tugged it till it fell off?
Old Sep 20th 2011, 2:08 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Easy the Tooth Fairy.
If I pulled a face and the wind changed it would stay that way.
If I was naughty then the boogie man would get me in my sleep.
Sitting on the wall or cement I would get piles
Old Sep 20th 2011, 2:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We used to tell the girls the Ice Cream van one. And that they could sit on the shopping centre merrygorounds but that they only worked for the owner, everyone else just had to sit there and pretend.

The only one I remember was that by not eating my carrots, I was personally preventing children in Africa from eating at all. I never understood it, seemed a bit of a burden to a 6 year old.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 2:22 am

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
At which point you tugged it till it fell off?
No, could have never dreamt of such a thing ... left the plate alone. Have you no respect for the war-wounded?

Last edited by Christian; Sep 20th 2011 at 2:25 am.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 2:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

When mum swatted a bug my sister would cry. Mum used to say it was OK...she'd only knocked it unconscious.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:36 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

..... That I was planned.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:43 am
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

I remember being told that father Christmas showed his wares in the great universal stores Catalogue, and if it wasn't in there it was probably not going to make it on the sled.

Cabbage juice would build muscles, Carrots would stop any need for glasses nuns should be avoided at all costs as they were well known to carry knives and do major harm to little boys (in the manhood dept). All postmen were spies.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 5:58 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

"Don't pull that face at me . If the wind changes you'll be stuck with it."
Old Sep 20th 2011, 6:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're bored, run around the garden three times. WTF??????
Old Sep 20th 2011, 7:08 am
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
We used to tell the girls the Ice Cream van one. And that they could sit on the shopping centre merrygorounds but that they only worked for the owner, everyone else just had to sit there and pretend.

The only one I remember was that by not eating my carrots, I was personally preventing children in Africa from eating at all. I never understood it, seemed a bit of a burden to a 6 year old.
I used to be told if I left any food on my plate that children in Africa were starving and would live for a week on what I was leaving.

They have never tried my mom's cooking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.