Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

The Kitty Cat Thread

The Kitty Cat Thread

Old Jun 7th 2019, 12:07 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Kitty Cat Thread

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
What you mean? Strong as ten bears. That is one shiny dog.
I used to tear out concrete with a hammer and steel bar and bid by the sq' undercutting the bobcat price, filling up the big 10 yd dumpsters. That was one very shiny dog.

Old Jun 7th 2019, 12:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
This wasn't my first dog, but probably the best, and I had a hard time getting over him. I was working in a kennel training hunting retrievers then and strong as 10 bears.

Beautiful dog. Labs are my hubby’s favourite. He had a Golden, then a black Lab when he was a boy.

An elderly British couple in our building have a brown Lab. It is enormous! Paws as big as my hands. I have never seen a Lab as big...he is like a bear. His name is Biscuit.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 12:18 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
have never seen a Lab as big...he is like a bear. His name is Biscuit.
There used to be an outfitter down in Cantour Sask that took rich Americans goose hunting in fall and ranched the rest of the year, and he was about 3' wide at the shoulders though not very tall, and his wife was taller than he was but not quite as wide, and his son was bigger than either of them, and his daughter was bigger and taller than the son! They had 3 or 4 labs that seemed about 3' tall and looked like Shetland ponies to me! There was nothing in the whole family that wasn't big but they were really nice people. Browning Auto-5 shotguns stacked up in the corner like brooms. My old hunting partner used to work for him occasionally in hunting season and we met after he died, wonderful people but those dogs were huge. Like a lab and a half. You want a big strong one when the retrieves are through heavy cover.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 12:28 am
Used to be Seasider

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all; I'm still looking for the little bugger underfoot, but I guess you know what that's like. It will pass.
Oh I hear you. Han died on 29 March, Bo and Fu moved to Seattle last Friday and I'm still putting things "out of the cats' way".

Sorry to hear this, caretaker. Sleep well, Nancy Boy.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
I'm not getting the nail clipping thing at all, under what circumstances might that be required?
Smokey goes outside, but also likes to wake me up by tapping my face, and if that fails applies a claw to the nose or lip To prevent injury to my delicate features his front claws get blunted on a semi regular basis.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 3:48 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
I'm not getting the nail clipping thing at all, under what circumstances might that be required?
Think old mens hoary toenails. Ty was an indoor and outdoor cat. He would use punga logs to keep his claws in order.....and the side of the long settee. But there came a time when he was no longer able to keep his claws in the same pristine order as his mobility decreased with age. He didn't stretch and scratch so well. They would get over long and then snag on things which he could not untangle from so we would have them clipped a little . Just blunted in a way. He could still use them to climb up on stuff and play with a toy
Old Jun 7th 2019, 11:27 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

and play with a toy
Even when the vet tech trims Tigers claws (which they don't anymore, we do it) and they cut them down to little nubs a little before the quick he could still play with his toys and run and jump.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 11:29 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Taking the conversation in another direction, we are in the process of buying a house right now (we currently rent) and tiger just loves to scratch the carpet, or the couch. Clearly when we replace the furniture, we don't want him scratching it.

I thought about a really heavy rug in the the center of the lounge that he could scratch as much as he wants and we will just replace it. He prefers to scratch and stretch on the floor rather than the vertical - in fact I have never seen him scratch his cat tree which he sits on alot of the time.

I thought about maybe hanging something the length of the wall too that he could climb. Not sure yet.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 12:57 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Think old mens hoary toenails. Ty was an indoor and outdoor cat. He would use punga logs to keep his claws in order.....and the side of the long settee. But there came a time when he was no longer able to keep his claws in the same pristine order as his mobility decreased with age. He didn't stretch and scratch so well. They would get over long and then snag on things which he could not untangle from so we would have them clipped a little . Just blunted in a way. He could still use them to climb up on stuff and play with a toy
So for Ty it was age/mobility related... Baloo (picture) was 14 or 15 when he took himself off, and I don't remember ever feeling one of his claws, same with Tcheky (half cat, half rugby team, still haven't found a decent photo) but he was a fair bit younger when he left us.

Originally Posted by lizzyq View Post
Smokey goes outside, but also likes to wake me up by tapping my face, and if that fails applies a claw to the nose or lip To prevent injury to my delicate features his front claws get blunted on a semi regular basis.
How old is Smokey?

I don't suffer from paw-tapping; when I don't pay enough attention to Pim, he head-butts me, Pom just jumps straight in my lap, she's quite a bit smaller and lighter than Pim, but she knows just how to bunch her already pointy paws for maximum effect.

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
Taking the conversation in another direction, we are in the process of buying a house right now (we currently rent) and tiger just loves to scratch the carpet, or the couch. Clearly when we replace the furniture, we don't want him scratching it.

I thought about a really heavy rug in the the center of the lounge that he could scratch as much as he wants and we will just replace it. He prefers to scratch and stretch on the floor rather than the vertical - in fact I have never seen him scratch his cat tree which he sits on alot of the time.

I thought about maybe hanging something the length of the wall too that he could climb. Not sure yet.
We got 'the kids' at nine weeks old, they hadn't yet learned the do's and don'ts, so the then brand new sofas ended up covered in tiny little scars, never from out and out scratching, more down to " I will get up there..." That passed fairly quickly, we didn't even have to resort to spraying some kind of 'repellent' on the furniture.

The cat tree still gets a hammering, but less so these days. Rugs are rugs, fair game, but the hoolies learn quite fast which rugs are theirs and which are OH's.

Probably doesn't stop them raising the middle claw and just getting on with it when we go out though.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 2:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

RIP Nancy Boy; I just took him to the vet and had him put down. I've taken some wicked beatings in fights, got the scars, had multiple surgeries, a very stylish limp... and not made a peep, but this always makes me cry.

Huge sympathies Caretaker. Looks like he was a total character.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 3:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

New foster family arrived last Friday...
Old Jun 7th 2019, 3:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
New foster family arrived last Friday...
Very cute. Rhubarb is especially cute.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 3:35 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Cute is right! I still remember the names of my sister's cats from the 70's; Percy, Pepper, Freida, Gandalf, Xerxes, Grey Guy, and Little Shit.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 3:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I realise this should be in the pissed off thread...

This morning a woman threw several kittens out of a moving car near Niagara Falls. They were all killed.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 3:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Very cute. Rhubarb is especially cute.
Rhubarb is ridiculously cute. She's the only girl and loves to curl up on on shoulders.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.