Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

The Kitty Cat Thread

The Kitty Cat Thread

Old Jun 6th 2019, 3:15 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Kitty Cat Thread

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
That's just terrible. Though it's not the first time I've heard of that sentiment, it's near enough a national pastime to hate cats out here. Yet if I accidentally let it slip that I don't like dogs you'd think I just set fire to a baby.
Yep, totally the same here. Even my wife felt the same way before Tiger, but now she's cat convert.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 3:36 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Looks like we have it a lot more relaxed here than where you people are. When ours go out my biggest fear is for the fate of the cockerel that lives a couple of hundred metres away, a real noisy git.

They do sometimes venture out to the front where the road is, but it's very quiet traffic-wise.
Predators abound here, cats (domestic ones anyway) are certainly not at the top of the food chain. Coyotes, bobcats and cougars are all over North America, and honestly I've seen a few bald eagles round our way that look like they could pick up a cat and fly off with it. Not that they would, of course, majestic as they are, bald eagles are basically overgrown seagulls and cats aren't made of fish.

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
Yep, totally the same here. Even my wife felt the same way before Tiger, but now she's cat convert.
From the pictures, it's easy to see how he could convert someone though. Plus orange cats have a way about them anyway.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 4:09 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

RIP Nancy Boy; I just took him to the vet and had him put down. I've taken some wicked beatings in fights, got the scars, had multiple surgeries, a very stylish limp... and not made a peep, but this always makes me cry.

Old Jun 6th 2019, 4:11 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
RIP Nancy Boy; I just took him to the vet and had him put down. I've taken some wicked beatings in fights, got the scars, had multiple surgeries, a very stylish limp... and not made a peep, but this always makes me cry.

Sorry to hear about that
Old Jun 6th 2019, 4:27 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

RIP Nancy Boy

My sympathies caretaker. Even in that picture he looked like quite a character.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

We let our cat Pumpkin out in the back yard, but not the front yard in case he gets run over in the street.

Pumpkin's outside life is currently being made a misery by a pair of Steller's Jays that set up a constant screeching as soon as he goes out. These Jays are very aggressive and one bird will perch a few feet away on a chair to have a go at the cat, or swoop and dive-bomb. They know exactly where the cat is at all times, even when he tries to hide under a low table or lounger. The forlorn expression on the cat's face is so sad it is almost comical. I defend the cat using a water hose with Jet attachment, but the bird flies to a tall tree next door just out of range. We had the same problem last year and the Jays eventually stopped screeching. I guess they have a nest in the vicinity and are being overly proactive in defence of the nest.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 5:01 pm
Hail Satan!

Originally Posted by sid nv View Post
We let our cat Pumpkin out in the back yard, but not the front yard in case he gets run over in the street.

Pumpkin's outside life is currently being made a misery by a pair of Steller's Jays that set up a constant screeching as soon as he goes out. These Jays are very aggressive and one bird will perch a few feet away on a chair to have a go at the cat, or swoop and dive-bomb. They know exactly where the cat is at all times, even when he tries to hide under a low table or lounger. The forlorn expression on the cat's face is so sad it is almost comical. I defend the cat using a water hose with Jet attachment, but the bird flies to a tall tree next door just out of range. We had the same problem last year and the Jays eventually stopped screeching. I guess they have a nest in the vicinity and are being overly proactive in defence of the nest.
Steller's Jays (this side of the Rockies we only have regular Blue Jays) are beautiful birds buy my god they can be arseholes sometimes.

The Blue Jays do have an aggressive screech, and the early spring mating rituals fill the evening air with the chorus of 'giz a shag, luv'. Just serene.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 5:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Caretaker. I'm sure he had the best possible life with you, and you did right by him until the end and at the very last too.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 5:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry to read this Caretaker.

I am not a cat person, but I am a dog lover and I know how heartbreaking it is to loose a furry, 4 legged member of your family. (((HUGS)))
Old Jun 6th 2019, 7:00 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Very sorry to hear this caretaker.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 10:12 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no. That is a shock to the system. I now cries my eyes with you.

I'm so sorry caretaker. so tough to have our pets leave us . He sounded and looked exactly the cat for you and you for him. He couldn't have wished for a better bloke to care and love him.

Rotten rotten heck.

Old Jun 6th 2019, 10:29 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all; I'm still looking for the little bugger underfoot, but I guess you know what that's like. It will pass.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 10:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all; I'm still looking for the little bugger underfoot, but I guess you know what that's like. It will pass.
After my first dog died, I thought I could see and hear her around the house for ages. For me, the best solution is to get another dog, but I know many don’t agree with this. I still remember all my ‘girls’ as if it was yesterday...
Old Jun 6th 2019, 10:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
After my first dog died, I thought I could see and hear her around the house for ages. For me, the best solution is to get another dog, but I know many don’t agree with this. I still remember all my ‘girls’ as if it was yesterday...
This wasn't my first dog, but probably the best, and I had a hard time getting over him. I was working in a kennel training hunting retrievers then and strong as 10 bears.

Old Jun 6th 2019, 11:01 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

We do.
I still think I see Ty if something is left at the top of the stairs by the airing cupboard door & sometimes I mistake a house or tree squeak for him. It can just catch you . As you say, it will fade and pass .

What you mean? Strong as ten bears. That is one shiny dog.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.