Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

The Kitty Cat Thread

The Kitty Cat Thread

Old Jun 5th 2019, 10:24 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Kitty Cat Thread

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
So glad to see that NY are on the verge of banning declawing.

I cannot believe that anyone would inflict this barbarism on something that doesn't understand why you've mutilated it.
I didn't even know declawing was a thing until I came out here. We've never done it on any of our cats though. Hopefully other states follow suit (if they haven't already banned it of course).
Old Jun 5th 2019, 10:32 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

There are no other states with bans on declawing.

Of course Fox news is 'what abouting' right now.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new...tion-practices

Last edited by civilservant; Jun 5th 2019 at 10:43 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 10:38 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

There are no other states with bans on declawing.

Of course Fox news it 'what abouting' right now.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new...tion-practices
Oh, FFS.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 10:44 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

My wife has never had a cat before Tiger, and she mentioned declawing to me when we first got him (just because she didn't know any better)

I told her there and then that I would return him to the shelter before I allowed him to be declawed. She though it was just getting rid of the nails, when I explained it was basically removing the top of the finger she agreed that it was not an option, ever.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 11:19 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

GGrrrrr, No cat should be declawed. If needs be nails can be trimmed a bit . Now that is actually a good thing for very elderly cats .
Old Jun 6th 2019, 5:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a guy who'd adopted one of our cats ask me if I knew of a vet who'd declaw. I suggested he surrender the cat back to us because a) I didn't know any vet who'd do such a barbaric thing and b) I didn't think the cat was right for him. I suggested he get a scratching post. Until he rang off, then I suggested other stuff.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 2:44 pm
Hail Satan!

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
GGrrrrr, No cat should be declawed. If needs be nails can be trimmed a bit . Now that is actually a good thing for very elderly cats .
Exactly, just cut their nails every few weeks (and have the vet do it professionally when they're in for their checkup) and you're good to go. It might piss them off for the five minutes it takes to do, but they feel better afterwards, just like when we cut our own nails.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 2:59 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Exactly, just cut their nails every few weeks (and have the vet do it professionally when they're in for their checkup) and you're good to go. It might piss them off for the five minutes it takes to do, but they feel better afterwards, just like when we cut our own nails.
I can brush my cat's teeth (!) but cannot get him still enough to cut his nails. Is there a trick to doing it?
Old Jun 6th 2019, 3:04 pm
Hail Satan!

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I can brush my cat's teeth (!) but cannot get him still enough to cut his nails. Is there a trick to doing it?
Pure bloody-mindedness. Helps to 'deactivate' the cat first to get it situated, and wrapping it in a towel tends to keep them still. You have to just hold him firmly once you get him somewhat settled and power through.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 3:08 pm
Often not so civil...

It takes my wife and I. Me to hold him as tight as possible, and her to trim the nails.

He still ends up biting me. Never hard, but enough that I know he doesn't appreciate his situation in life at that moment.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 3:09 pm
Hail Satan!

It takes my and my wife. Me to hold him as tight as possible, and her to trim the nails.

He still ends up biting me. Never hard, but enough that I know he doesn't appreciate his situation in life at that moment.
Gimli used to hiss at the clippers. Not at me, or my wife, but the clippers themselves.

Legolas will bitch and moan and struggle but eventually he realises he won't win.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 3:13 pm
Often not so civil...

My wife calls this Tiger's 'praying position' - he's really just looking out of the bathroom window
Old Jun 6th 2019, 3:18 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Pure bloody-mindedness. Helps to 'deactivate' the cat first to get it situated, and wrapping it in a towel tends to keep them still. You have to just hold him firmly once you get him somewhat settled and power through.
It takes my wife and I. Me to hold him as tight as possible, and her to trim the nails.

Gimli used to hiss at the clippers. Not at me, or my wife, but the clippers themselves.

Legolas will bitch and moan and struggle but eventually he realises he won't win.

I'll have to try again. I'm always afraid of cutting too short and hurting him as well, since it's so hard to hold him still.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 3:19 pm

My wife calls this Tiger's 'praying position' - he's really just looking out of the bathroom window

There are things out there.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 3:21 pm
Hail Satan!

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I'll have to try again. I'm always afraid of cutting too short and hurting him as well, since it's so hard to hold him still.
That's always a worry but you kind of get a feel for it after a while.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.