Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

The Kitty Cat Thread

The Kitty Cat Thread

Old Feb 14th 2019, 5:56 am
Used to be Seasider

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Kitty Cat Thread

Mine all drink a lot, always have - though only from bowls nowhere near their food.

This weather (consistently mid to late 30s C) we are putting a lectade (rehydration salts) solution in a couple of their bowls - given to us by their vet.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 6:36 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Mine and I suspect many others prefer their bit of water from anywhere but a water bowl. That water doesn't smell right eh?

Dusty likes the duck pond a bit . A pal with a cat that emigrated as an indoor cat from the USA to Ireland and has now become a cat allowed outdoors horrified her person by drinking from - shock aghast horror - a muddy puddle.

Are yours dehydrated then or is that precautionary because of an assortment of un-seasonal and unusual high temps + ckd + dry food + long coats perhaps? Take it their gums look OK & the pinch test is fine?
Old Feb 14th 2019, 6:40 am
Used to be Seasider

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Just recommended for elderly cats in ridiculous temperatures. (One of mine of course with advanced kidney cancer.)
Old Feb 14th 2019, 7:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My two last lots of foster kittens loved poached chicken. Unfortunately poached chicken didn't love them. Not a fan of five or seven kittens with diarrhoea!
Old Feb 14th 2019, 11:21 am
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Our two turn their noses up at commercial wet food, and are croquette/kibble fixated. That was their uncle's staple as well; when we got these two as kittens I bought the 'kitten' version of the dry food, which was promptly ignored in favour of uncle's "7+ years active life outdoor" mix.

This changes when I'm cooking, as I get harassed for any bits of fresh meat, poultry, or fish - some canned fish as well - and I normally give in as despite the vet's recommendation for the dried food, I feel that they should be eating a more varied diet.

They tend to take this aspect into their own paws, and although the mousing has reduced a lot over the past few months, they still average a couple a week.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 11:23 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
The domestic cat diet is an interesting subject to me but one I'm a bit wary of as folks can get a bit angsty over their choices for their pets for some reason.

We would all agree we do the very best we can for our cats with a huge amount of love and care . Any food a cat is given is better than no food although some food 'diets' can be damaging. Caretaker feeding the strays where he works is their lifesaver. I fed Dusty anything until I caught her. Then I fed what she fancied and then I weaned her slowly to foods that I personally feel are healthier for her feline system. That is what I personally feel from what I have read. Not what I would dictate to anyone else or their cat. I don't know the person or the cat . We do what we can in the hope our cats stay healthy inside and out don't we. They cannot tell us so their health in our hands.

You don't see big cats being fed dry kibble or processed foods yet their digestive systems are exactly the same.

Fancy Feast ,provided it is not with 'gravy', isn't a bad wet food At least it has muscle meat and many of the flavours are not too high in un-necessary carbs which a cat is unable to process. Its a mid-grade food. There is better and worse out there. Wellness is better. A lot of the better cat foods are not available in Oz or NZ

Renal issues means a low phosphorous diet. However a cat still needs quality high protein with little carbs. Many of the dry renal diets do have a bit less phos - not much - however they are not good on carbs or quality protein & they are not good on natural hydration. Yes. Cats will drink water although the inner drive to drink water is low & drinking water can mean a need to hydrate because the food is not doing the trick as such. Their normal method is moisture from food.
It's possible to feed a wet or raw diet with a phos. binder. Of course any food needs to be one that is complete for felines . That mean taurine etc. At the end of the day it is what the cat will eat that matters.

When a cat is poorly it is recommended that poached chicken or rabbit is tried. That's because it is more gentle on their system. unfortunately that doesn't come with the kill smell nor the processed coatings smell. They may it eat it when still warm. Otherwise it is a bit of parmesan or some other enticement sprinkled to help kick the feed signal to on.

Really I suppose it is just like for us. Read the labels . Keep it healthy

Of course ECID = Every Cat Is Different.

Not sure if anyone was interested in the link I gave. Maybe not .
Anyway here is a link to some nutritional numbers for assorted cat foods out there.

Low carbs is the way to go
High quality muscle meat protein.

CKD Tanya's website is very helpful and factual on feline renal issues.

What's in the "gravy"? I inspect ingredient lists for Things That Cats Don't Eat (peas and carrots - what??) but "gravy" isn't separated out as a thing.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 1:11 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I do worry that feeding Tiger the Blue Wilderness dry food means he isn't getting enough water, but he does drink plenty (well what I would consider to be plenty) Should I be as worried about kidney issues with dry food as I have read in the past?
Old Feb 14th 2019, 2:34 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
I do worry that feeding Tiger the Blue Wilderness dry food means he isn't getting enough water, but he does drink plenty (well what I would consider to be plenty) Should I be as worried about kidney issues with dry food as I have read in the past?
I would say pay some attention to it, yes. We lost one of ours to kidney failure, but he was five or six years old when we took him from the rescue centre, so we had no idea of his previous diet.

Maybe give Tiger a treat in the form of raw fish or meat from time to time?
Old Feb 14th 2019, 9:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It can be an issue definitely but then cats can have kidney issues on any diet and many many cats are on a dry food only diet with no issues at all.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 10:13 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Not worried as such. I suppose it is a case of anything that helps prevent is better than trying to cure or contain.

Dry kibble only diet places a feline's kidneys under duress . It means the cat will always be a little dehydrated , regardless of what water we observe them drinking, making those kidneys work harder than necessary.

Many many cats once reaching maturity will have CKD issues - likely through this modern day diet we all give our cats and also of course through age. Those with Iris stages I and II can have happy active lives with this reduced kidney function . They may live all the rest of their natural lives with that & display no issues despite the damage. 'Course a cat cannot tell us when it feels a bit off. It really only let us know with its behaviour or appearance when it is really unwell.

If we fed ourselves dry crackers , dried beef jerky & freeze dried veg we would drink water too just to get the stuff down. That doesn't mean we are hydrating properly. We also gain hydration from our foods .

Hydration is the key & dry foods don't give that. Wet or natural foods do provided they also offer the balance a cats system needs.

As Pen says though it is the case that ECID just like us.

Poached chicken or fish is fine for an adult cat with tummy issues although it doesn't provide for all the cat's needs and should only be done really for a day or so, maybe with some pumpkin or SEB if really necessary to sooth. Some cooked egg white to boost. I'd think a kitten could only handle a controlled tiny amount here and there as a part of a gentler diet otherwise , yes, in one end and straight out the other.

Turning into an article hack. Another Dr. on CKD and feline diet.

I do know I'm a right bore on this. All I can repeat is that it is my interest. What a cat really needs for its diet v what we give them these days. What anyone and everyone chooses to do is of course up to them. We all love our pets.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 10:20 pm
European

OH was sorting through a drawer earlier and came across a small cowbell that we had used to 'train' Pim and Pom as kittens to come inside, they were always rewarded with some food.

OH shook the bell briefly this evening, both cats woke up instantly and ran straight to her. Not bad seeing as we haven't used it for around six years.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 10:24 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
OH was sorting through a drawer earlier and came across a small cowbell that we had used to 'train' Pim and Pom as kittens to come inside, they were always rewarded with some food.

OH shook the bell briefly this evening, both cats woke up instantly and ran straight to her. Not bad seeing as we haven't used it for around six years.

Old Mar 19th 2019, 1:44 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post

Of course from their perspective, they have trained you.

I got a close look the other night. I was probably doing something wrong.

Old Mar 19th 2019, 2:06 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is broken
Old Mar 19th 2019, 2:52 pm
European

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Of course from their perspective, they have trained you.

I got a close look the other night. I was probably doing something wrong.

Seabiscuit is certainly the master of The Look.

Mine is broken
Is that Tiger? He does look a lot different depending on the light. And the angle.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.