Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

The Kitty Cat Thread

The Kitty Cat Thread

Old Nov 7th 2017, 6:13 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Kitty Cat Thread

Lucy (long-aforementioned Maine Coon) is 11. Still healthy, but I'm thinking (not that it'll be my decision) that two non-pedigree kittens would be a good addition / eventual replacement. Not sure how she'd take to interlopers -- do they generally accept one another?
Old Nov 7th 2017, 6:24 pm
Mal-fonted EU citizen.

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
Lucy (long-aforementioned Maine Coon) is 11. Still healthy, but I'm thinking (not that it'll be my decision) that two non-pedigree kittens would be a good addition / eventual replacement. Not sure how she'd take to interlopers -- do they generally accept one another?
That's exactly how we went for it with Baloo and 'the kids'. There's always going to be a bit of hissing to start off with, but things should level out fairly soon. If things got too drastic for Baloo, he would ask to go outside (we had the cat flap closed outbound for the first few months) but he could come back in whenever. On the first day that 'the kids' were allowed out (chipped, vaccinated and spayed/snipped) Baloo appeared from nowhere and presented them with a mouse. Welcome to education...

Or were we just lucky?
Old Nov 11th 2017, 11:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

So the daughter moved to the UK a few months ago and I've finally found a use for her room Fostering Fern and her babies and I have been given the task of naming them. I have a grumpy husband.
Attached Thumbnails The Kitty Cat Thread-fern.jpg   The Kitty Cat Thread-fern-kittens.jpg  
Old Nov 11th 2017, 2:37 pm
Mal-fonted EU citizen.

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
So the daughter moved to the UK a few months ago and I've finally found a use for her room Fostering Fern and her babies and I have been given the task of naming them. I have a grumpy husband.
What cuties! Brother and sister? How old are they?

Fern looks like she might need a bit of a rest?
Old Nov 12th 2017, 12:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
What cuties! Brother and sister? How old are they?

Fern looks like she might need a bit of a rest?
Only five weeks old so can't tell sex yet. Fern's good but as well as giving birth and feeding she also had flu. She's almost recovered.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 5:17 pm
Mal-fonted EU citizen.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
... Fern's good but as well as giving birth and feeding she also had flu. She's almost recovered.
Poor Fern, no wonder she looks a bit fatigued.

Enjoy the kittens!
Old Nov 26th 2017, 10:10 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone of you had/has a diabetic cat with ckd as well please?
If so , what was your regime, diet, meds.

I'm a bit fed up this morning with the whole thing from the vet.
Ty has developed a wobbly gait and an insatiable appetite in the past 5 weeks, yet the vet talks only in terms of pain meds .

Nopes it is not thyroid. It is somehow the renal dry diet + how to monitor the ebbs and flows of blood glucose I think, or should I say that is a gut feeling watching him daily. But hey. I am not the vet.

So fed up.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 12:39 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post

Ty has developed a wobbly gait and an insatiable appetite in the past 5 weeks, yet the vet talks only in terms of pain meds .

Nopes it is not thyroid. It is somehow the renal dry diet + how to monitor the ebbs and flows of blood glucose I think, or should I say that is a gut feeling watching him daily. But hey. I am not the vet.

So fed up.

No personal knowledge from any cat I've owned, but from someone I knew who worked in a no-kill cat shelter and adopted a diabetic cat, that sounds like poor blood sugar control and resulting neuropathy (wobbly back legs) that you may be able to improve with better blood sugar control and I believe possible some Vitamin B12 supplementation. But I'm not a vet and nor was she, so do please ask one - possibly a more sympathetic one than the one you have. Maybe the cat's insulin dose needs adjusting?
Old Nov 27th 2017, 1:15 am
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post

So fed up.
Sorry to hear that BEVS, and like LiW I have no personal knowledge either. All I know is that some vets are more sympathetic to treating chronic conditions than others, so maybe it's time to consult another vet.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 3:54 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

We're already at what is considered the best practice for here. It is also the teaching hospital and all other practices refer to it . I changed to this one because of that. Small place is this area and changing will not help. Believe me.

All I do at the moment is the urine test strip thing which is stable . The vet does the bloods and fructosamine testing which is stable yet something is happening .

I'm leaning towards the B12 thing and a closer monitoring of the blood glucose via a meter.
It seems a wet diet is better than a dry for a diabetic cat BUT with his CKD one cannot overload his kidneys and that is why he has been on a specific renal food and diet.

I did have a smile moment today though.
Dusty , the pregnant kitten that came to live under the house , brought in a mouse . Next thing Ty is on alert attempting to have a chase. All legs and paws clumping about clumsily like a new born foal.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 3:03 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default No eating, no tail up .... no Milton. :(

So we took Milton to the vet on Saturday for a check up and rabies shot, but the vet (owner of the practice, who we usually ask for), prodded and poked him and declared (six months after he said Milton had 1-4 weeks to live), "I have no idea why this cat is still alive!" He advised us that as Milton could die at any time, a Rabies shot was unnecessary.

Unfortunately, after putting up a valiant fight for last six months, by last night (Sunday) Milton had stopped eating, and didn't want breakfast this morning either. He didn't come with his tail up, and we knew his time had come.

Milton will be remembered fondly, his was a very polite cat, his mother had raised him well. But he was also unassuming, unassertive, and rather prissy, and the exact opposite to his "brother", Herschle, who came from a farm and was assertive, greedy, and a bully.

We are now former cat owners, we have no plans to acquire any more, but will remember our pets through donations to local animal shelters.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 3:17 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No eating, no tail up .... no Milton. :(

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
So we took Milton to the vet on Saturday for a check up and rabies shot, but the vet (owner of the practice, who we usually ask for), prodded and poked him and declared (six months after he said Milton had 1-4 weeks to live), "I have no idea why this cat is still alive!" He advised us that as Milton could die at any time, a Rabies shot was unnecessary.

Unfortunately, after putting up a valiant fight for last six months, by last night (Sunday) Milton had stopped eating, and didn't want breakfast this morning either. He didn't come with his tail up, and we knew his time had come.

Milton will be remembered fondly, his was a very polite cat, his mother had raised him well. But he was also unassuming, unassertive, and rather prissy, and the exact opposite to his "brother", Herschle, who came from a farm and was assertive, greedy, and a bully.

We are now former cat owners, we have no plans to acquire any more, but will remember our pets through donations to local animal shelters.
Sorry to hear that Pulaski.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 3:21 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Really sorry about this.

You make Milton sound exactly as I would have assumed a Milton would behave.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 3:31 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

RIP Milton, gone through the last great cat flap into the wild blue yonder.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 3:34 pm
Mal-fonted EU citizen.

I too am sorry to hear this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.