Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Hobbies

Hobbies

Old Jun 9th 2019, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

armay72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hobbies

I saw your Youtube etc. very nice too as for me I play and compose music as a hobby as it is a special gift when I learned to play the piano at the oag of 5 y/o as I progressed , I can sit down on a keyboard instrument and compose my own music in any style or mood as I cannot read music I have a Casio CTK model 61 notes has recording facility etc. so, we have something common !

Enjoy music !
Regards to you ,
Alistair May aged 72 y/o
Old Jun 9th 2019, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

armay72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well , you certainly can tell a YARN or two !!
Old Jun 10th 2019, 2:38 pm
Gamers Rise Up

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
My latest lump of glass.... I couldn't resist a sharp 10x zoom!
Ah, photography. Now there's a money sink if I ever saw one. That's why I buy all my stuff used

I really should use it more though, I'm really bad at keeping up with it. Like my reading, I used to read at least one book a week, now I'm lucky to get one finished in a month. My mum would be so disappointed in me.

Originally Posted by armay72 View Post
I saw your Youtube etc. very nice too as for me I play and compose music as a hobby as it is a special gift when I learned to play the piano at the oag of 5 y/o as I progressed , I can sit down on a keyboard instrument and compose my own music in any style or mood as I cannot read music I have a Casio CTK model 61 notes has recording facility etc. so, we have something common !

Enjoy music !
Regards to you ,
Alistair May aged 72 y/o
If that was mine you were talking about, then thanks. If it wasn't then I'm sorry for being so conceited as to think it was, and can you tell me whose so I can check it out myself?
Old Jun 10th 2019, 3:39 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Ah, photography. Now there's a money sink if I ever saw one. That's why I buy all my stuff used
Oh me too!! The body was bought second-hand from someone who had it in a cupboard for a couple of years and I paid less than half the best discounted price for this lens (although you can buy a half-decent camera for that!) and less than the prices I've tracked on ebay. The only downside is that you have to be VERY careful about condition....... lots of gear advertised that has dust or other problems (one was for sale having been dropped in a swimming-pool!!!). Wiith luck, I'll recoup most of the cost of this by selling on a shorter zoom (you hardly need too many!) and just keep my fast primary and the standard short zoom (for now).
Old Jun 10th 2019, 3:45 pm
Gamers Rise Up

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Oh me too!! The body was bought second-hand from someone who had it in a cupboard for a couple of years and I paid less than half the best discounted price for this lens (although you can buy a half-decent camera for that!) and less than the prices I've tracked on ebay. The only downside is that you have to be VERY careful about condition....... lots of gear advertised that has dust or other problems (one was for sale having been dropped in a swimming-pool!!!). Wiith luck, I'll recoup most of the cost of this by selling on a shorter zoom (you hardly need too many!) and just keep my fast primary and the standard short zoom (for now).
With the exception of a film SLR I got for my 18th birthday, all my gear was bought used. Both digital SLRs I have bought, one a replacement for the other, were bought for a little less than half the retail value when new, so I consider that a minor success. Rather than sell my old one, I decided to give it to my son because it'd have barely been worth $150.00 at that time anyway. Truth be told I really didn't need to replace it, but I saw the deal on the new one right before a trip to Canada and had money available so I chose not to listen to reason that one time.
Old Jun 10th 2019, 4:32 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

With the exception of a film SLR I got for my 18th birthday, all my gear was bought used. Both digital SLRs I have bought, one a replacement for the other, were bought for a little less than half the retail value when new, so I consider that a minor success. Rather than sell my old one, I decided to give it to my son because it'd have barely been worth $150.00 at that time anyway. Truth be told I really didn't need to replace it, but I saw the deal on the new one right before a trip to Canada and had money available so I chose not to listen to reason that one time.
You might notice I'm still trying to justify a £200 purchase to myself! But hey, it's peanuts set alongside the money I blew on 35mm SLRs and lenses - I paid double the cost of this one for a pro 35-105mm zoom (back in the 80's, when money was money) or on early computer gear (basic Sinclair QL, £199; "real" keyboard, £85, 512Kb memory expansion, disk controller and twin 3.5" disk drives, £399.....plus, plus, plus).

There are worse things to do with your money (I know, I've tried most of them....) and not too much alternative.... as it says in the Limerick Rake -
"John Damer of Shronell had plenty of gold
And Lord Devonshire's treasure was twenty times more,
Sure but they're laid on their backs amongst nettles and stones
Agus fágaimíd siúd mar atá sé
."
Old Jun 10th 2019, 4:39 pm
Gamers Rise Up

You might notice I'm still trying to justify a £200 purchase to myself! But hey, it's peanuts set alongside the money I blew on 35mm SLRs and lenses - I paid double the cost of this one for a pro 35-105mm zoom (back in the 80's, when money was money) or on early computer gear (basic Sinclair QL, £199; "real" keyboard, £85, 512Kb memory expansion, disk controller and twin 3.5" disk drives, £399.....plus, plus, plus).

There are worse things to do with your money (I know, I've tried most of them....) and not too much alternative.... as it says in the Limerick Rake -
"John Damer of Shronell had plenty of gold
And Lord Devonshire's treasure was twenty times more,
Sure but they're laid on their backs amongst nettles and stones
Agus fágaimíd siúd mar atá sé
."
Old computers. I don't own one anymore but I run a lot of emulators and the nostalgia is like a drug. The sound of the tape loading into RAM and those little colored bars around the tantalizing load screen, takes me right back to the early 90s sat in front of my hand-me-down 16K ZX, and later my old CPC 464. Then along came the Amiga and that was that.

Shit though, 512K of ram circa 1984 on what was basically a fancy Spectrum wasn't to be sneezed at. That's getting into (expanded) IBM 5150 territory.
Old Jun 10th 2019, 5:11 pm
Resident Cynic

Old computers. I don't own one anymore but I run a lot of emulators and the nostalgia is like a drug. The sound of the tape loading into RAM and those little colored bars around the tantalizing load screen, takes me right back to the early 90s sat in front of my hand-me-down 16K ZX, and later my old CPC 464. Then along came the Amiga and that was that.

Shit though, 512K of ram circa 1984 on what was basically a fancy Spectrum wasn't to be sneezed at. That's getting into (expanded) IBM 5150 territory.
The QL was an interesting beast, QDOS was multitalking, Superbasic supported structured programming and the bundled software (Quill, Archive, Abacus and Easel) was written by Psion...... colour was a bolt-on, but having a colour screen on a PC was beyond imagination!! (Oh, and I forgot the £350 for a Philips VGA monitor too!!) I wrote a few bits of software on it and used the PSION spreadsheet, wordprocessor and and database tools for a few years until I bought my first Atari-badged PC clone...... that had a 20Gb hard disk!!
Old Jun 10th 2019, 5:18 pm
Gamers Rise Up

The QL was an interesting beast, QDOS was multitalking, Superbasic supported structured programming and the bundled software (Quill, Archive, Abacus and Easel) was written by Psion...... colour was a bolt-on, but having a colour screen on a PC was beyond imagination!! (Oh, and I forgot the £350 for a Philips VGA monitor too!!) I wrote a few bits of software on it and used the PSION spreadsheet, wordprocessor and and database tools for a few years until I bought my first Atari-badged PC clone...... that had a 20Gb hard disk!!
My programming experience extended to typing in the examples of BASIC in the manual and stuff like this:

10 PRINT "farts"
20 GOTO 10

Not exactly a master coder, me.

Also, that hard dive - surely that was 20Mb. 20 gigs in the late 80s would have been immense!
Old Jun 10th 2019, 5:58 pm
Resident Cynic

My programming experience extended to typing in the examples of BASIC in the manual and stuff like this:

10 PRINT "farts"
20 GOTO 10

Not exactly a master coder, me.

Also, that hard dive - surely that was 20Mb. 20 gigs in the late 80s would have been immense!
Yeah, well it was my job at the time - and playing with "non-standard" software helped develop alternate approaches, so helped longterm A lot of the software I wrote produced MS-DOS-like features for QDOS and extended the functionality of the standard spreadsheet and database offerings at the time (I never bothered with the WP packages, there were plenty of others in that!) and my attempts to write games software were pathetic (as were most others!!). Talking of pathetic, you're right about the drive......20Mb makes it seem even worse - even my phone has 64Gb internal!
Old Jun 10th 2019, 6:06 pm
Gamers Rise Up

Yeah, well it was my job at the time - and playing with "non-standard" software helped develop alternate approaches, so helped longterm A lot of the software I wrote produced MS-DOS-like features for QDOS and extended the functionality of the standard spreadsheet and database offerings at the time (I never bothered with the WP packages, there were plenty of others in that!) and my attempts to write games software were pathetic (as were most others!!). Talking of pathetic, you're right about the drive......20Mb makes it seem even worse - even my phone has 64Gb internal!
I was 10 when I got my first computer (my cousin's old 16K spectrum ), so I wasn't really anywhere near your level to begin with. Must have been interesting in the 80s, being a the cutting edge of a rapidly progressing tech like that though. I was fascinated by computers all my life though, even if I did have to wait a long time and even if my first one of my own was beyond obsolete when I did get it. I did get one of the new CPC plus machines for Christmas in 1991, but by then the 16 bit machines ruled the roost anyway. I still wouldn't trade those old games for anything though.

A 20Mb hard drive was far from pathetic in the late 80s though, even though you can now get 256Gb of storage for your camera
Old Jun 10th 2019, 6:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I was 10 when I got my first computer (my cousin's old 16K spectrum ), so I wasn't really anywhere near your level to begin with. Must have been interesting in the 80s, being a the cutting edge of a rapidly progressing tech like that though. I was fascinated by computers all my life though, even if I did have to wait a long time and even if my first one of my own was beyond obsolete when I did get it. I did get one of the new CPC plus machines for Christmas in 1991, but by then the 16 bit machines ruled the roost anyway. I still wouldn't trade those old games for anything though.

A 20Mb hard drive was far from pathetic in the late 80s though, even though you can now get 256Gb of storage for your camera
Hubby got into computing in the mid 70’s...when he went to Germany to work with the US army. Came back a few years later and got a job with ICL, which is where we met.
Old Jun 10th 2019, 6:23 pm
Gamers Rise Up

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Hubby got into computing in the mid 70’s...when he went to Germany to work with the US army. Came back a few years later and got a job with ICL, which is where we met.
I love all things to do with vintage computers, even though today's machines absolutely smoke them for performance, they are still interesting as historical pieces, and the variety was nuts in the 70s/80s as well.
Old Jun 10th 2019, 6:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I love all things to do with vintage computers, even though today's machines absolutely smoke them for performance, they are still interesting as historical pieces, and the variety was nuts in the 70s/80s as well.
I remember driving from South Manchester overnight to Reading to deliver a reel of magnetic tape. Now it would take a second to hit a button.

Computers, cameras...you and hubby would have a lot to talk about.
Old Jun 10th 2019, 6:45 pm
Gamers Rise Up

I remember driving from South Manchester overnight to Reading to deliver a reel of magnetic tape. Now it would take a second to hit a button.
That's automation putting people out of work once again ...

Computers, cameras...you and hubby would have a lot to talk about.
Certainly sounds like it. Isn't he a Liverpool supporter as well?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.