Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Hobbies

Hobbies

Old May 7th 2019, 8:16 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hobbies

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
That is pretty cool. A mate of mine did W bit of digging, turns out his grandad was a bit of Nazi war criminal . Needless to say he doesn't advertise it too much

I had a really good hobby until they invented that damned caller id.

Last edited by caretaker; May 7th 2019 at 8:35 pm.
Old May 8th 2019, 2:26 am
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
…. turns out his grandad was a bit of Nazi war criminal ….
I am not sure that that counts as a "hobby".
Old May 8th 2019, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really have hobbies anymore other then reading about airlines, but in the past my main hobbies which I did enjoy and spent a good amount of time on were:

Keeping aquariums, and travelling. Don't do either anymore though, but they were good hobbies and I quite enjoyed them.
Old May 8th 2019, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
But Tweedie, skeletons are the best part! My best discovery (I don't mean to brag about it, but, well... why not?) was that one of my grandmothers' grandfathers was killed with an axe one night while lying drunk in the front garden of his house. He (the victim) was a drunkard and habitual wife-beater, and was probably killed by one of their sons. It was quite apparent - from the report of the inquest - that the coroner didn't try very hard to identify the killer.

That's a wonderful skeleton to have - much better than the occasional ancestors born of incestuous unions, don't you think?
Yep, must agree. Especially if the axe has been handed down from generation to generation and finds it's way onto Craigslist.
Old May 8th 2019, 7:37 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I don't really have hobbies anymore other then reading about airlines, but in the past my main hobbies which I did enjoy and spent a good amount of time on were:

Keeping aquariums, and travelling. Don't do either anymore though, but they were good hobbies and I quite enjoyed them.
Aquariums is a good one and very interesting.
Once bitten you cannot set it aside and will likely have one again. I am the same about my birdies. They are one of my places of rest. I love them.

Get yourself a small aquarium again J. I know. I know . You will say there are no $ and all that but it can happen . Set your mind to this.

Old May 8th 2019, 7:45 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post

That's a wonderful skeleton to have - much better than the occasional ancestors born of incestuous unions, don't you think?
Totally agree and more. How do you feel around axes. Stir an urge in your genes?

It beats the Norfolk chap I found in someones tree that accidentally killed a bloke whilst he just happened to be crossing a bridge with his horse and cart when he accidentally threw an accidental banana skin out which the bloke accidentally slipped on and bashed his skull. Oops daisy.
Question: How did he afford a banana . Answer: Nicked it like he did a bucket of herrings.
Old May 8th 2019, 7:56 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Totally agree and more. How do you feel around axes. Stir an urge in your genes?

It beats the Norfolk chap I found in someones tree that accidentally killed a bloke whilst he just happened to be crossing a bridge with his horse and cart when he accidentally threw an accidental banana skin out which the bloke accidentally slipped on and bashed his skull. Oops daisy.
Question: How did he afford a banana . Answer: Nicked it like he did a bucket of herrings.
I'd probably hide in someone's tree too if I'd done that.
Old May 8th 2019, 7:57 am
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Old May 8th 2019, 7:58 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
You're on a bit of a wit roll ain'tcha missus.
I'd amend and add 'family' but it would spoil the fun.

Old May 8th 2019, 9:37 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
I am not sure that that counts as a "hobby".
Haha, hats off that was quality
Old May 8th 2019, 1:11 pm
Ride a White Swan

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

A red herring?

Old May 8th 2019, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Aquariums is a good one and very interesting.
Once bitten you cannot set it aside and will likely have one again. I am the same about my birdies. They are one of my places of rest. I love them.

Get yourself a small aquarium again J. I know. I know . You will say there are no $ and all that but it can happen . Set your mind to this.
I will eventually hopefully.

Travel is what I miss the most.
Old May 8th 2019, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe View Post
Yep, must agree. Especially if the axe has been handed down from generation to generation and finds it's way onto Craigslist.
#65 above

That's a lovely thought, Tweed. I wish they'd thought of hanging on to it. One of the victim's daughters ended up living on a 16-acre sugar-plantation (this was in Queensland, in the late 1800s) with her husband and nine Pacific-Islander employees (slaves, but called "indentured servants" in the history books). If the axe did survive, it might well have ended up on that property.

What I found wonderfully ironic is that she signed her marriage certificate in 1873 with an 'X', although in England's 1861 census she had been described as a "scholar", aged seven. In fact she was probably working down the local Cornish tin-mine at the age of seven, in which case she could be said to have progressed from slave to slave-owner in the space of 12 years.

That sort of reasonable speculation is what makes family-history so fascinating as a hobby. As others will attest, I'm sure.
Old May 9th 2019, 11:41 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

ive been after this on vinyl for years , found it in Sydney during the week and my wife has just asked me to turn it down . Unbelievable
Old May 10th 2019, 11:25 pm
idealist

couldn't resist .

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.